DeMarvion Overshown vs Giants

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He is basically a rookie and he will make mistakes at times, but he has to be on the field because of the way he plays. Maybe that will rub off on some of the other Cowboys. Overshown is the best tackler on the defense. You know who used to play like that? Donovan Wilson. But Wilson now misses way too many tackles and is no longer making the plays he used to.
I never thought of Wilson as a great tackler he just to lay the wood on guys. It always use to bother me thinking how good will he be with the splash plays disappear. You’re bit Gibbs get sacks, interceptions every game….or maybe it’s the injury. Maybe scheme. He use to be fun to watch.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I just knew Robinson was scoring. That was impressive…..
Absolutely. Overshown’s sweet spot appears to be sideline to sideline headhunting. The guy clearly has a knack to close and finish dudes off in space.

Too often our LBs not named Sean Lee have looked like cows on ice skates as they try and tackle a shifty guy in the flat.

Nice to finally have a heat seeking missile that can blow dudes up when they try and scramble or leak out for a sneaky easy gain

fivetwos

Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't overcomplicate it too much.....he's a much better pass defender than he is a run defender, and the two games he really struggled in the opposing QBs only combined for about 30 pass attempts.

That doesn't mean he's hopeless against the run, but there are things he does well and things he doesn't do well so it's likely he is going to have down games against certain teams, and why I think Zimmer shielded him a bit with fewer snaps against New Orleans. He is likely never going to be the north/south type of run stuffing LB people fantasize over (And I think this is an important piece to keep in mind so our expectations dont get out of hand), he's a freak of nature athlete tweener type who once he gets more experience under his belt can probably be used by a creative defensive mind to create all types of confusion for offenses. I also think he covers well enough where I think the Cowboys could get to a point where they can stay in their base 4-3 defense more than other teams can. He has to walk before he can run, but I wouldnt be surprised at all if this coming offseason we dont hear a ton about specific packages to get creative with Overshown the same way we do with Parsons. This is a guy who can kick out and cover slot receivers on occasion, has more than enough speed to run with RBs, big enough to man up on TEs, and in theory he should profile as a great sideline to sideline run defender.

I'm very optimistic coming out of yesterdays game with Overshown because:
*He showed good instincts in the run game, I saw a couple plays early on where he looked slow to react and started to get sucked into the middle, but overall did a great job and played fast all around.
*Used textbook technique to shed blocks (I doubt hes ever great at this, but its nice to see growth here. If he even becomes average at taking on those 2nd level OL blocks it will be a huge thing)

Those are both things that you can look past the level of competition to be encouraged by.

The big things the Cowboys need to do to make sure he is successful:
*Invest in at least average DTs - I dont think its a coincidence that we are talking about Overshowns big game the same week we are also talking about how good Mazi looked.
*Hire a DC next year who wants to be creative. The Cowboy simply have too many unique talents on the front 7, along with two playmaking CBs to play conservative defense.

So IDK that's a longer response than I initially though it would be haha, but the real optimism in my eyes is for 2025. I think this teams ceiling is limited this year if Zimmer is going to play the same schemes he did a decade ago combined with some limitations on this roster as well but thats another thread altogether. For this season I think the big thing for Overshown is we simply need to keep seeing these flashes of brilliance from time to time, and hopefully it becomes more consistent. He seems very much like the linebacker version of rookie Diggs where hes going to get beat, but the upside is so obvious that you have to keep him on the field so he can get better and better.
His sideline to sideline speed and closing ability seems to be a plus. Probably needs to learn quite a bit about being a football player but that’s beyond what I can determine.

There’s a lot of nice talent on the team that probably just needs reps, and I don’t understand why they couldnt just admit that it’s a reset type of year in that regard as well as the cap….but now I’m starting to rant. Disregard please lol.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
His sideline to sideline speed and closing ability seems to be a plus. Probably needs to learn quite a bit about being a football player but that’s beyond what I can determine.

There’s a lot of nice talent on the team that probably just needs reps, and I don’t understand why they couldnt just admit that it’s a reset type of year in that regard as well as the cap….but now I’m starting to rant. Disregard please lol.
My thoughts exactly. I mean I get not coming out and saying we wont be as competitive this year, but don't go to the other end with the all in rhetoric either. There is a happy medium in terms of the tone ownership could have used for this team this offseason that I think fans could have mostly respected.