Video: Denzel Mims Film

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
I’m late to my draft coverage this year, but I’ve been watching a lot of Mims recently. Can anyone tell me why he isn’t right up there with the big three?

Flamma

Reaction score
I’m late to my draft coverage this year, but I’ve been watching a lot of Mims recently. Can anyone tell me why he isn’t right up there with the big three?

I'm assuming it's his route running. His route running was very limited where he played so they expect him to need some work.

I don't know what to think about that. He may very well be as good.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Mims has the size, speed, talent and ability to be one of the best WRs out of this draft. With a very good NFL WR's coach to coach him up, he could become a big weapon. His play reminds me of Terrell Owens. Watching Mims is like watching T.O. play.

Imagine having Mims and Gallup on the outside, while moving Amari inside where he can better use his excellent cutting ability and route running to better use against smaller/slower DBs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Exceptional size / weight / speed athlete but he ran a very limited route tree in college and struggled to separate.

He has upside, but the talks of him as a 1st rounder are insane to me.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exceptional size / weight / speed athlete but he ran a very limited route tree in college and struggled to separate.

He has upside, but the talks of him as a 1st rounder are insane to me.
Im kinda scared of him in the 2nd. When is he contributing? If we go this route, I hope we have a trade up our sleeve for a vet #3 for 2020

fivetwos

Reaction score
Reminds me of Dez Bryant quite a bit. Not as explosive. Looks like could win some redzone matchups. Not sure he sets the league on fire year one.

Last mock we did around here, he was still on the board into the 3rd IIRC.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Im kinda scared of him in the 2nd. When is he contributing? If we go this route, I hope we have a trade up our sleeve for a vet #3 for 2020

Im a fan I just wouldn’t take him early. I’d consider him in the 2nd but would need to know who else is on the board.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
His combine has really overstated the type of prospect he is.

Honestly I could see him going anywhere from the late first to the fourth lol.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Change of Direction skills (lack of).

Watch Jeudy in/out of breaks and compare to Mims (if you can find Mims running a sharp breaking type route).

Watch Amari Cooper as possibly the best ever COD skills. At 6-1, 210 Cooper can change direction better than Cole Beasley.

If college had the same rules as the NFL, Mims would have been called for Offensive PI a dozen times per game. You can't blame him for doing it in college because their refs tend to "let em play" much more than in the over-regulated NFL but it's a concern.

Mims is big, fast, physical with good hands. I would love to have the player on the Cowboys roster, but I'm skeptical that he'll even be a true #1 WR. He could be great in the Alvin Harper #2 WR role...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His combine has really overstated the type of prospect he is.

Honestly I could see him going anywhere from the late first to the fourth lol.

I like the player but he does not play to his measure speed, in part due to limited change of direction ability.

Much of his college success was due to just using his size to push DBs out of the way.

Gaede

Reaction score
Reminds me of Dez Bryant quite a bit. Not as explosive. Looks like could win some redzone matchups. Not sure he sets the league on fire year one.

Last mock we did around here, he was still on the board into the 3rd IIRC.
Exactly my thoughts

I'm not in love with this receiver before the 3rd

reddyuta

Reaction score
His combine numbers say he is an explosive athlete but his lack of route running skills make him seem plodding at times,i would still draft him though because of the upside.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Mims is a good prospect who tore up the combine like DK Metcalf did last year. His numbers in college were way better than Metcalf though with two 1,000 yard seasons and 28 TD's.

Seattle grabbed Metcalf at #64 and he was targeted 100 times with 58 catches for 900 yards and 7 TD's...pretty good return investment.

I'm ok with drafting Mims at #51, as long as we're going to use him like Metcalf in Seattle. Otherwise, I would stick with defense and find a slot/returner type receiver on day 3 instead.

Last edited:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Mims is a good prospect who tore up the combine like DK Metcalf did last year. His numbers in college were way better than Metcalf though with two 1,000 yard seasons and 28 TD's.

Seattle grabbed Metcalf at #64 and he was targeted 100 times with 58 catches for 900 yards and 7 TD's...pretty good return investment.

I'm ok with drafting Mims at #51, as long as we're going to use him like Metcalf in Seattle. Otherwise, I would stick with defense and find a slot/returner type receiver on day 3 instead.
He wont be there at 51. He is going late 1 early 2.

He wont get past the Panthers at 38

Silverstar

Reaction score
He wont be there at 51. He is going late 1 early 2.

He wont get past the Panthers at 38

You never know, the Panthers might like a prospect like Chase Claypool in their system better.
Also, If some teams look at Sparq scores there is this...

H. Ruggs: 99
C. Claypool: 98
D. Mims: 94.6
J. Reagor: 93.3
B. Aiyuk: 89.4
M. Pittman: 85.7
J. Jefferson: 81.8
I. Hodgins: 70.7
C. Lamb: 70.5
D. Duvernay: 68.2
A. Gandy-Golden: 57.0
G. Davis: 38.9
J. Jeudy: 21.8
K.J. Hill: 18.9
J. Jennings: 8.4

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
if people eventually fell in love with Terrell Owens (who was no sharp cutting route runner), they should like Mims since Mims is very similar in play to T.O..

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You never know, the Panthers might like a prospect like Chase Claypool in their system better.
Also, If some teams look at Sparq scores there is this...

H. Ruggs: 99
C. Claypool: 98
D. Mims: 94.6
J. Reagor: 93.3
B. Aiyuk: 89.4
M. Pittman: 85.7
J. Jefferson: 81.8
I. Hodgins: 70.7
C. Lamb: 70.5
D. Duvernay: 68.2
A. Gandy-Golden: 57.0
G. Davis: 38.9