Video: Denzel Mims Film

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think we our going defense with the first 3 picks, well at least I hope. So hopefully we won’t have to worry about either guy.

Maybe so. I’d be perfectly fine taking a WR in one of the first 3 rounds I just don’t want us to reach. Mims at 17 is an incredible reach IMO and think you can get way better value in the 2nd-4th.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
if people eventually fell in love with Terrell Owens (who was no sharp cutting route runner), they should like Mims since Mims is very similar in play to T.O..
Where do yall get this notion that TO wasnt a great route runner? But anyway, Mims ran a great 3 cone and short shuttle so obviously he has the ability to run routes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Where do yall get this notion that TO wasnt a great route runner? But anyway, Mims ran a great 3 cone and short shuttle so obviously he has the ability to run routes.
"Release him:

The guy will be 37 before the end of next season, his skills have started to diminish, and he is among the league leaders in dropped passes annually.

He is considered by many to be a poor route runner and he does not get along with the offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting Jason Garrett.

He may have caused a rift between Tony Romo and Jason Witten, and he may be a negative influence on the younger receivers like Roy Williams, Miles Austin, and Patrick Crayton."

-- JANUARY 14, 2009 (Bleacher Report)
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/111171-should-the-dallas-cowboys-release-terrell-owens

"After owner Jerry Jones released Owens in March 2009, Cowboys fans lined up on two distinctly different sides of the T.O. issue. In this corner: Owens' supporters who belittled Dallas' receiving corps and predicted stagnation for the offense and outright implosion for Romo without his best target. And in this corner: realists.

I said all along that the Cowboys would be better off without Owens, a 35-year-old, past-his-prime receiver hampered by lazy route-running, lousy hands and shrinking talent he tried to camouflage with an ever escalating ego. During a pre-season in which Romo played 80 snaps yet produced only one completion over 25 yards—a 42-yard catch-and-run screen to running back Felix Jones—I'll admit I had some doubts. But it only took one week to prove that T.O. A.D. will be OK."

-- September 17, 2009 (The Dallas Observer)
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news...pass-offense-opens-with-plenty-of-tds-6405390

There is more if you need more proof, which makes me wonder... Where have YOU been that you never heard anyone label T.O. as a bad/lazy route runner???

stilltheguru

Reaction score
"Release him:

The guy will be 37 before the end of next season, his skills have started to diminish, and he is among the league leaders in dropped passes annually.

He is considered by many to be a poor route runner and he does not get along with the offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting Jason Garrett.

He may have caused a rift between Tony Romo and Jason Witten, and he may be a negative influence on the younger receivers like Roy Williams, Miles Austin, and Patrick Crayton."

-- JANUARY 14, 2009 (Bleacher Report)
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/111171-should-the-dallas-cowboys-release-terrell-owens

"After owner Jerry Jones released Owens in March 2009, Cowboys fans lined up on two distinctly different sides of the T.O. issue. In this corner: Owens' supporters who belittled Dallas' receiving corps and predicted stagnation for the offense and outright implosion for Romo without his best target. And in this corner: realists.

I said all along that the Cowboys would be better off without Owens, a 35-year-old, past-his-prime receiver hampered by lazy route-running, lousy hands and shrinking talent he tried to camouflage with an ever escalating ego. During a pre-season in which Romo played 80 snaps yet produced only one completion over 25 yards—a 42-yard catch-and-run screen to running back Felix Jones—I'll admit I had some doubts. But it only took one week to prove that T.O. A.D. will be OK."

-- September 17, 2009 (The Dallas Observer)
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news...pass-offense-opens-with-plenty-of-tds-6405390

There is more if you need more proof, which makes me wonder... Where have YOU been that you never heard anyone label T.O. as a bad/lazy route runner???
A bunch of writers? What player or scout ever said it about TO? How was he 35 years old still getting 1000 yards? lol. And that article wasnt bias huh?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A bunch of writers? What player or scout ever said it about TO? How was he 35 years old still getting 1000 yards? lol. And that article wasnt bias huh?
-- July 6, 2012 ... when T.O. was trying to make a comeback...
  • charlie_casserly_HS_12_65.jpg
  • Charley Casserly NFL.com
  • T.O. isn't attractive to Saints, Raiders ... or anyone else
    In general, my feeling is that Terrell Owens' time in the NFL has passed. I would not sign him.

He does not fit the New Orleans Saints' offense. It's a precision-type offense and that's not Terrell Owens' game. He is not a dependable route runner.

Carson Palmer works best with disciplined route runners, too. At the end of the 2010 season, when T.O. was not in the lineup, the Palmer-led Bengalsoffense was much more efficient in the passing game. Thus, I don't see the Raiders as a good fit, either.

Even taking T.O.'s declining skills out of the picture, you still have a player with a history of being selfish and a disruption in the locker room. Just because Owens wants to play doesn't mean he deserves a job.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...rrell-owens-fit-in-with-raiders-saints-anyone

You were saying???

:popcorn:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
-- July 6, 2012 ... when T.O. was trying to make a comeback...
  • charlie_casserly_HS_12_65.jpg
  • Charley Casserly NFL.com
  • T.O. isn't attractive to Saints, Raiders ... or anyone else
    In general, my feeling is that Terrell Owens' time in the NFL has passed. I would not sign him.

He does not fit the New Orleans Saints' offense. It's a precision-type offense and that's not Terrell Owens' game. He is not a dependable route runner.

Carson Palmer works best with disciplined route runners, too. At the end of the 2010 season, when T.O. was not in the lineup, the Palmer-led Bengalsoffense was much more efficient in the passing game. Thus, I don't see the Raiders as a good fit, either.

Even taking T.O.'s declining skills out of the picture, you still have a player with a history of being selfish and a disruption in the locker room. Just because Owens wants to play doesn't mean he deserves a job.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...rrell-owens-fit-in-with-raiders-saints-anyone

You were saying???

:popcorn:
They are two different styles," said Woodson. "You have to go back and look at history. Look at Moss and think about if they made a highlight reel of Moss, you would see deep ball, deep ball, deep ball, jump ball, deep ball, jump ball. That's scary. That's what he brings to the table, is that explosion play. It's very rare - and I can't remember it - for him to take a quick hitch or a quick-strike route because there is off coverage and take it the distance."T.O. came from the West Coast system, where they didn't have a lot of deep routes. It was a lot of five-step drop, three-step drop and get the ball out of the quarterback's hands. He was running slants, bang-eights - which is a quick post - dig routes, curl routes, flat routes. He's a more well-rounded receiver in that he does more of those things.

Charlie Casserly.................Rod Woodson. hmmmmm. TO such a bad route runner that he ran every route in the route tree. ok guy You have TO mixed up with Dez. Stop speaking what you dont know. I'm done discussing this. A top 3 wr of all time was a bad route runner. ok you win. move on

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Those drills can be misleading.

The 1st two turns in the 3-cone and all turns in the Short Shuttle involved touching a point on the ground but don't require going around a cone. Only the last 2 turns in the 3-cone involve going around a cone.

There have been a few players with great length over the years that posted way better that expected times. For players with great length (height and arm length) that practice these drills, they can reach out and touch the line in appear to save about a full step compared to short/compact players.

Cole Beasley didn't have good 3-cone or SS times but it would be easy to devise a drill where no 6-3 player would ever beat Beasley.

Barry Church had a great 6.65 3-cone vs Beasley's 7.16 but nobody would ever consider Church to be the more agile player or better change of direction player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are two different styles," said Woodson. "You have to go back and look at history. Look at Moss and think about if they made a highlight reel of Moss, you would see deep ball, deep ball, deep ball, jump ball, deep ball, jump ball. That's scary. That's what he brings to the table, is that explosion play. It's very rare - and I can't remember it - for him to take a quick hitch or a quick-strike route because there is off coverage and take it the distance."T.O. came from the West Coast system, where they didn't have a lot of deep routes. It was a lot of five-step drop, three-step drop and get the ball out of the quarterback's hands. He was running slants, bang-eights - which is a quick post - dig routes, curl routes, flat routes. He's a more well-rounded receiver in that he does more of those things.

Charlie Casserly.................Rod Woodson. hmmmmm. TO such a bad route runner that he ran every route in the route tree. ok guy You have TO mixed up with Dez. Stop speaking what you dont know. I'm done discussing this. A top 3 wr of all time was a bad route runner. ok you win. move on

Randy Moss was 6-4 and ran a 4.2 forty. One off-season Cole Beasley went to have Randy Moss train him on route running.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

I supplied you proof at every request. Not my problem you can't handle it. For the record, I've always liked T.O., but I showed you proof from an ex-GM and and ex-QB who both said T.O. was not a disciplined and dependable route runner in his later years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude is a walking OPI

I can't blame those big WRs for playing that style in college because they can but it makes it hard to project them in the NFL where it would be OPI on almost all passing plays if they tried to play that style.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Did anyone watch his Senior bowl reps? He literally won nearly every rep and won at all levels of the field. Not concerned about his route running or ability to separate at all. It's easy to see some Dez in his game.