Derrick Henry to the Cowboys?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Do it… even for just this year. This guy would help dak more than anyone. Cause linebackers would be cheating up all game to stop the run.
Yea, that Titans passing offense is prolific.

There's no point in acquiring Henry because he's only prolific with 20 touches a game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So assuming Tenn is interested what is the asking price? A 4th rounder? A 5th? And what about his contract and how that might work with the Cowboys cap limits. Some other player with some contract cap space would probably need to be released or traded to make it work, right?

Plus Henry is at the time in his career when a big drop off occurs. He would be an intriguing add but I can’t imagine him being that impactful without the OL playing better.

Secondly, with Jerry paying franchise tag money to Pollard, I can’t see him wantingPollard to have a lesser role at his price tag. Now I don’t have a problem with it, but JJ usually does.
According to Over the Cap, we have $7.1 million in cap space. Henry received $10.5 million in base salary this year, so Dallas would have to pick up the remainder of that. If my calculations are correct, that would put him somewhere in the range of what we've got.

As far as the impact goes, you could be correct, but I'm interested in at least trying rather than doing nothing at all. We seem to be determined to run up the middle and that's not Pollard's strength. Not saying he's bad at it, simply that he's at his best when we get him on the edges and supplement that with the runs up the middle. We can talk about the OL playing better, but maybe it would look better with a pounder handling most of that middle running, plus it might help us with some of the red zone problems.

I don't know if it is a fix, but we're clearly behind the 49ers in ability and just hoping that we're going to get better is not the way to catch up. Adding a back like Henry to the mix might make teams like the Chargers think twice about keeping both safeties deep to stop the passing game.

I'm not saying it has to be Henry, but if we want to catch the 49ers this year, then we need to do something other than expecting better execution.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I would not be upset with a trade for Henry. Eisen makes a good point about taking an offense with Henry on the road (with a good not great at all defense) makes them a tougher road team. Plus, having Pollard back to being a pop player with a ton of outside runs (his strength) dialed up, would be good. What a change of pace.

But, others have made good points. What would it cost to get him? Are the Cowboys willing to allocate that much money to the RB position? Can this OL run block better?

I do not know the answers to that.
Yes, the OL can block better. I think the more time they get to both practice and play together, the more they will improve. I'm not expecting the Great Wall of Dallas, but improvement on what we have seen. O-line is a lot about chemistry and reps as a unit.

garyv

Reaction score
No, we should have went after David Montgomery in the offseason but this FO continues to show it doesn't want to win. Imagine that 1, 2 punch with Montgomery and Pollard!?
I love Montgomery he could be a top 3 RB in the league EXCEPT he gets hurt too often due to his running style being a banger

joseephuss

Reaction score
I love Montgomery he could be a top 3 RB in the league EXCEPT he gets hurt too often due to his running style being a banger
Montgomery has been around long enough to show what he is and that is not a top 3 back. Not even a top 10 back. He certainly has value and could be an asset for many teams as he is currently doing for the Lions.