Desean Jackson Non-TD Question...Mike Pierera explains rule Post #30

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I just wanted to know why this was not considered a fumble. Was it becase non of the players for Dallas picked the ball up or would it not have mattered if they did?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yep. Another case where blowing the whistle, and making a call, causing it to be a dead ball deal makes a mistake.

I don't know but am I right in believing that even if the Cowboys had picked the ball up and returned it even to the thirty yard line that it still would have been Philly's ball at the 1 by the rule of it being a deadball?

gazmc_06

Reaction score
Yep, it would have been Philly's ball regardless I'm pretty sure.

Either way, I'm glad he didn't get a TD, I despise the little

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think the ref signalling a TD essentially kills the play. What's interesting is PacMan immediately turned around to retreive the ball while looking over to the ref but then stopped.

links18

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2263176 said:
Yep. Another case where blowing the whistle, and making a call, causing it to be a dead ball deal makes a mistake.

I don't know but am I right in believing that even if the Cowboys had picked the ball up and returned it even to the thirty yard line that it still would have been Philly's ball at the 1 by the rule of it being a deadball?

Yes, another terrible job by the officials. I was screaming that he did not break the plane before dropping it, even before the boneheads at ESPN figured it out, but the refs blew it dead. Still, I hope Pac and Roy are made to run laps for not picking up the ball and running it back, even if the whistle blew. You have to play like its a fumble until its clearly not a fumble. Laziness by Pac and Roy there. But yes, the refs are terrible. They are even under orders not to blow the play dead and let it develop, yet they continue to do it. Essentially, Jackson faced no consequences for his bone headed play and that sucks. Still, Pac or Roy have to pick up that ball and run with it. If nothing else it draws more attention to the controversy and horrible officiating.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;2263189 said:
I think the ref signalling a TD essentially kills the play. What's interesting is PacMan immediately turned around to retreive the ball while looking over to the ref but then stopped.
I noticed that also! Damn refs...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2263176 said:

Yeah thats my understanding.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Refs need to swallow the whistle on blowing plays dead like that...PAY ATTENTION!!!!!! If you watch the replay Jones actually turns around and chases the ball down and then looks up and pulls back, assuming its a TD since the ref blows the whistle and signals touchdown. So Jones, did realize it was a fumble and was prepared to return it, if the ref had not blown it again (pun intended)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Ok well if that is the way the rule works then you should be able to use instant replay to over turn that and instead of going with the 'dead ball' rule then they should be able to go with what it should have been.

So in this case Jones should have picked it up and returned it as far as possible, regardless of the whistle, and then after replay it should have been Dallas ball.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
What's stupid is that in the NFL, they refuse to change rules mid season so despite the fact that something like this happened in back to back days, they won't do jack till the end of the year.

In the NHL at least they change rules when they see something is flawed.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
TheCount;2263373 said:
What's stupid is that in the NFL, they refuse to change rules mid season so despite the fact that something like this happened in back to back days, they won't do jack till the end of the year.

In the NHL at least they change rules when they see something is flawed.

The NHL refs are worse. LOL

Lets be happy the NFL refs atleast are way better

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That play made me absolutely sick. Mike Tirico said right away live that it looked like Jackson threw the ball away before he crossed the goal line, so it wasn't like it took the latest high-tech super-slow-mo technology to see it.

And then we win the challenge, but it basically does no good because they get the ball on the one anyway? Disgusting.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Real1st;2263379 said:
The NHL refs are worse. LOL

Lets be happy the NFL refs atleast are way better
I'm not talking about the refs themselves, I mean the people in charge of making and changing rules.

I don't watch hockey, so maybe the refs themselves suck. I wouldn't know.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The play is live until the whiste blows. Just signaling a TD would not stop play.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
the play happen so fast, it must have been hard to tell when he dropped the ball.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
jobberone;2263424 said:
The play is live until the whiste blows. Just signaling a TD would not stop play.

Are you sure about that Jobberone?

What else could happen after a TD?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
links18;2263200 said:
Yes, another terrible job by the officials. I was screaming that he did not break the plane before dropping it, even before the boneheads at ESPN figured it out, but the refs blew it dead. Still, I hope Pac and Roy are made to run laps for not picking up the ball and running it back, even if the whistle blew. You have to play like its a fumble until its clearly not a fumble. Laziness by Pac and Roy there. But yes, the refs are terrible. They are even under orders not to blow the play dead and let it develop, yet they continue to do it. Essentially, Jackson faced no consequences for his bone headed play and that sucks. Still, Pac or Roy have to pick up that ball and run with it. If nothing else it draws more attention to the controversy and horrible officiating.

Excellent post. I agree with every word.