Desean Jackson Non-TD Question...Mike Pierera explains rule Post #30

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bungarian;2264261 said:
Why is a bacwards pass not a lateral?

I'll have to look into it but it should be the same thing. I thought it was. Perhaps there is a difference.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Backwards pass is known as a lateral in my world which is known as a live ball and fumble in my world. Horrible call by the refs and a horrible rule.

YAKUZA

Everson24

Reaction score
Hostile;2263517 said:
It was ruled a fumble on review, but none of our players recovered it. Dead ball. Eagles maintain possession. If even one of our guys had picked it up, it would have been our ball.

That is how I understood it as well. It would be just the same as any other fumble recovery after an inadvertant whistle. We could not advance the ball but it would have been awarded to us at the point of recovery.This was changed a couple of years ago. I wish Pac would have picked it up when he ran toward it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The key is that, in Jackson’s case, the ruling is that he was throwing a backward pass. By rule, the review of the touchdown call resulted in the ball being down where it landed.
I thought the MNF guys said that, and I couldn't believe they were correct on it. How the hell do you equate that to throwing a backwards pass?

And even if you do throw a backwards pass, it's a live ball.

Just a horrible rule or application of the rule.

monkey

Reaction score
The refs either just need to be told to not blow the whistle/call the play dead in those circumstances, or allow the replay to give the possession to the appropriate team. Adam was clearly going after the ball and then stopped with the ref's signal. I don't blame him for stopping, cause the whistle is supposed to stop play or else risking a penalty (e.g. late hits and PFs or in this case, a delay of game penalty for messing with the dead ball.)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Everson24;2264293 said:
That is how I understood it as well. It would be just the same as any other fumble recovery after an inadvertant whistle. We could not advance the ball but it would have been awarded to us at the point of recovery.This was changed a couple of years ago. I wish Pac would have picked it up when he ran toward it.

That's ONLY on plays when they rule down by contact. Jackson was not ruled down by contact. The ball was dead as soon as the whistle blew.

links18

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2264318 said:
That's ONLY on plays when they rule down by contact. Jackson was not ruled down by contact. The ball was dead as soon as the whistle blew.

Terrible rule and terrible job by the officials blowing the whistle. One more thing: an incomplete backward pass is no different than a fumble.

links18

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2264338 said:
Nobody said it is different.

OK, doesn't matter if they called it a backward pass or a fumble, result is the same, just wanted to make sure everyone is clear. SHEEESH!!!

dogberry

Reaction score
1) jobberone use gobbledy****. Looks like good old Gov. Maverick (Texas) coined it during WWII.

2) Dictionary.com suggests the Philippines as area of origin for the offending word.

3) The banned word also used to apply to enemies in non East Asian settings.

4) The infamous word can describe goo. Wonder if the filter picks up the meaning before attacking?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wonder what would have happened if Phillips would have thrown the Red Flag?

:laugh2:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2264268 said:
His point was that once the whistle blows, you can't recover any fumble other than one when a runner is ruled down by contact. Jackson wasn't down by contact, so any fumble recovery after the whistle would not have counted.

I agree completely but I had forgotten that rule about a fumble.

Do you think they will change the rule for next year?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
good thing Ron Jaworski knows the rule.

Him calling out pacman for not picking it up is laughable. He said nothing about jackson, but had to throw in that pacman wasnt smart enough to pick it up.

Pretty sad. the officials around this league should be mortified with what has been going on. Two officials miss what everyone in the stadium saw. Totally ridiculous.

these guys need to start getting fined and suspended. Missing that call was atrocious.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jobberone;2264464 said:
Do you think they will change the rule for next year?

No, because they'll say it's a "player safety issue."

AbeBeta

Reaction score
After Sunday's game I assumed immediately that it was to be the Eagles ball regardless b/c of the TD call (i.e., a whistle).

I have no problem with the rule -- yes, sometimes teams get jobbed but a QB is going to get cracked after the play if you let action continue.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2264501 said:
No, because they'll say it's a "player safety issue."

I hope they are just honest about it either way. I don't care as long as they enforce the rule equitably.

They do work hard to protect the players and make the game better. I've never seen anyone do what Jackson did although we have seen the ball come loose accidently at the goal line and get knocked out. It does come up occasionally just not like Jackson did it.