Desmond King just traded for a 6th round pick

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Titans are more smartly run than the Cowboys.
If this doesn't clearly demonstrate this to Cowboy fans, I don't think they can be helped.

Titans got a 26-year old All-Pro for a 6th round pick.

Your Cowboys FO sent a 7th round pick for a guy who has been cut by the Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Colts, and was on waivers 3 times in the the last 2 months.

The Cowboys Front Office is so far away from respectable it's pathetic.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If this doesn't clearly demonstrate this to Cowboy fans, I don't think they can be helped.

Your Cowboys FO sent a 7th round pick for a guy who has been cut by the Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Colts, and was on waivers 3 times in the the last 2 months.

Why give up draft capital for a player you can sign in the offseason? I know it was just a sixth round pick, but adding pieces for this year does us no good.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Desmond King might have expected to win here. If not, he might have spoken out against the circus that is this organization. Jerry won't stand for that; he'll stand for losing, but not for anonymous voices. We have to trade for players so bad that they will just be happy to have a job.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Probably didnt "fit the scheme," according to team talent evaluator, Stephen Jones.

Why in the WORLD do we expect to be any good??

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I would have loved this trade for the Cowboys.

In 3 plus seasons he has 4 picks and even though that's twice as many as what Byron Jones did in 5 years with the Cowboys, King is primarily a punt returner and the Cowboys have a couple of those. This is just another case of a player either available or was just traded and people here feel the need to say the Cowboys should go get this player or should have traded for this player.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm fine with that.

Then why send the 7th round pick for Waivers Guy?
I'm fine with that as well. My guess is that is just the price of filling out the roster after cutting poe in a season with covid protocols. Probably easier to ship out the 7th than bring in a new body that hasnt been going through the process already. Either way i'm not losing sleep over either of these moves. Much bigger issues to grill Jerry/Stephen on.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Why give up draft capital for a player you can sign in the offseason? I know it was just a sixth round pick, but adding pieces for this year does us no good.

Unless he is dramatically better than Awuzie, who is coming back next week, it doesn't make sense to trade for him unless they think he will sign an extension immediately.

But this thread will still go to 20 pages with posts about how we missed out.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Unless he is dramatically better than Awuzie, who is coming back next week, it doesn't make sense to trade for him unless they think he will sign an extension immediately.

But this thread will still go to 20 pages with posts about how we missed out.
Safe to say that an All-Pro CB in his prime is dramatically better than Awuzie

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
In 3 plus seasons he has 4 picks and even though that's twice as many as what Byron Jones did in 5 years with the Cowboys, King is primarily a punt returner and the Cowboys have a couple of those. This is just another case of a player either available or was just traded and people here feel the need to say the Cowboys should go get this player or should have traded for this player.
I disagree completely.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Exactly, we need to tank and see what we have going into next season. The minutes we distribute for the rest of the season will go a long way into seeing who has the potential to play next season, and who needs to leave. And evaluate all the areas that need to be addressed in FA and in the draft.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'm fine with that.

Then why send the 7th round pick for Waivers Guy?
I 100% wouldn’t have done that and won’t defend it

But trading for King would only be worth it for the comp pick. He’s in the final year of his deal and is going to be due a big contract. We just aren’t in a position to include his salary demands in our future plans

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I 100% wouldn’t have done that and won’t defend it

But trading for King would only be worth it for the comp pick. He’s in the final year of his deal and is going to be due a big contract. We just aren’t in a position to include his salary demands in our future plans

I'm not advocating that we make the King deal. We should be in total rebuild/reload mode.

I'm just comparing the caliber of players involved in the two deals.

Also, the Titans basically just traded a 6th round pick now for a 4th round compensatory pick in 2022, assuming they don't win over King and get him to re-sign. In that case, they just traded a 6th round pick for the exclusive opportunity to sell a Pro Bowl player on their culture and team for the next 1/2 a season.

While we are sending a draft pick for a guy who was on the streets or could easily be replaced by a hundred guys off the street. And to be quite honest, will be back on the streets shortly.

This FO is only making trades just to appear as they are Big Boy GM's.

Sydla

Reaction score

They really suck at trades, that's for sure. I think they are better at drafting that average, for sure. But when it comes to evaluating actual NFL players in FA and trades, damn, they suck.

Given the plethora of picks we will have, I'd have traded a 5th for King because we'd either bring him back or likely flip that 5th into a 4th round comp pick. Even for a few spots in the draft, it would be worth it.