News: Details Emerge From The Cowboys Current Offer To Prescott

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If the NFL market values don't rise every year why then do the price of contracts go up every year? Why aren't the salaries the same amounts they were in 2010 or 1999 or pick any year you want? As I've said market values continue to rise every year. The exception is when a player is on his downward side of his career and even those are higher every year. What a player that is going to be reduced to a backup player today makes more than one under the same situations made in 2015 or 2010 or 1999 or any year. Honestly, I can think of how the market value has dropped. There was a time when after the QB the RB was the highest paid position and that feel off but it think it's more of a cycle type thing because RB's are again the past few years making more money again. They probably won't ever be the 2nd highest paid position again but that's mostly because the league has turned into a passing league. But the market value for plays as a whole rises every year.

They don't. I mean, that's just not a true statement. On the whole, salaries go up because the CBA dictates this as a part of negotiation, according to profit margin by the league but, this doesn't apply to every single position unilaterally. Look at what has happened to the RB position in the NFL, as you mentioned. Once among the highest paid players in the entire league, they are now well below that. There is a difference between salaries rising and bad contracts. If we were talking about Dak at 33 or even 35, that represents rising salary but we are talking 40. That's decreasing value by overpaying.

I really wished the team would have allowed Dak to test the market. I think what he would have saw would have been eye opening to him but, that didn't happen so it is what it is.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
$35 mill a year and over $100 million guaranteed and the dude is saying "nah, not good enough".:omg:

Seriously, is there anybody on this board that thinks Dak is worth this type of coin? Being the highest paid player in the history of the entire NFL?

Dude has one playoff win...………..ONE PLAYOFF WIN!!!!!

I'm sorry, but Dak is not worth this much, he just aint. I like the guy, have his jersey I wear on gamedays, but no way in hell am I making Dak the highest paid player in the history of the league. Call me hater all you want, but dude aint worth it.
Haha..

H-A-T....

Just kidding.

I agree. I understand Dak asking. That is the American Dream at work.

But Dak is hallucinating if he thinks he gets what he wants.

There was a time I wanted Rachell Welsh. I married little Susie Stephenson.

Not even close.

:angry:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Romo was paid the higest GTD and Aikman was the highest paid period in 93 and 99.

If Fish report is true would be 5yr 175m. If the 106m GTD is true that would be 60% of his total contract GTD, That is ****. Lol Even if you go north of Goff and go high, and say its 115m, its still only 65% and that is still ****. Wentz got 84% of his total contract GTD and Goff got 82%. If they just go under that on Dak with 80% GTD it would be 140m GTD, far off from 106m or even 115.

If they want to reset that market back down to what Wilson got 76%, Rogers 73%, and give Dak under that with 70%, it would still be 123m GTD. Hell, Tannehill just got 77% and that would put Daks at 135m GTD. So unless the GTD is AT LEAST 123m GTD, its not worth Dak to sign a 5 yr deal

If Fish report is true and its a 35m a yr with 106m GTD and its just about they years, then that says Dak is fine with the 106m GTD but wants it on a 4yr deal, which is fair. Its under market(Goff&Wentz) on the % of GTD and under market on the $s. That would put the % at 75% which was the market was before Goff and Wentz deals and still lower % than what Tannehll just signed. Its lower in $s than Wilson, Wentz and Goff. So if hes ok with that, and from this report he is, just wants it on a 4yr deal not a 5, then the Cowboys are holding this up by wanting a 5yr deal that puts it way under market on the GTD.

Stop paying attention the "sexy" total contract number and avg annual. The 106m GTD on 5yr deal is pure ****. If he takes it on a 4yr deal, its still under market in both % of total contract GTD and the overall $s.
Maybe KC and Baltimore are making back door future deals with Jerry to stand his ground and reset the market, because if we think Daks deal is a cap killer, wait till you see Mahomes and Jacksons... not that they are not worth it, they might be, but Dak should never be included in that tier of talent.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, I wouldn't...……….honest answer.

But correct me if I am wrong, but were Aikman or Romo ever the highest paid players in the league, even when they signed new deals?

I dont think so...………….neither one of them ever demanded what Dak is demanding now.
I believe Aikman was

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know how guaranteed money works but they still have to account for the total value of the deal over the 5 years. No matter how much is guaranteed Dak would never sign a deal that says or gives him 25m per season on average over the 1st 4 years (pays his guarantee i know) with a 5th year for 65m, it will never ever happen like that, no contract does

I just did Tannehill's for another post. His actual APY if he is cut in 2022 would be $20.6 million.

I've done Carson Wentz's. He can be cut in 2023 with a cap savings of $21 million. If he is, his actual APY would be $26.9.

I've done Russell Wilson's. He could be cut in 2022 with a cap savings of $11 million. If he is, his actual APY would be $28.8.

Why do you think Dak's is going to be different from that? If his guarantee is $106 million over five years, then he's going to get around $106 million in a five-year span (even if he's not on the roster that fifth year), which averages to $26.5 over the four years he's kept.

$15 million the first year, $22 million the second, $24 million the third, $35 million the fourth and $10 million (dead cap) the fifth averages out to $26.75 over four years.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
isnt it amazing, now were at 35, remember about 6 months ago we couldnt fathom over 30 and now 35 is acceptable....just shows how imporant the qb position is right?

It's important, but not enough to salary cap hamstring the team. There's a point where it's not worth it to go any higher.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yea , cause it’s like not Dak was elevating us to the next level with his arm . A solid QB with enough supporting cast.

I’d be open to keeping him in as a backup. Kid has some game. But not an Elite passer.

Exactly. I think he believes he's elite, but he's not. He's very good. It's possible to win with him with a high quality supporting cast.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
$35 mill a year and over $100 million guaranteed and the dude is saying "nah, not good enough".:omg:

Seriously, is there anybody on this board that thinks Dak is worth this type of coin? Being the highest paid player in the history of the entire NFL?

I'm sorry, but Dak is not worth this much, he just aint. I like the guy, have his jersey I wear on gamedays, but no way in hell am I making Dak the highest paid player in the history of the league. Call me hater all you want, but dude aint worth it.

Yup.

they are not setting the market.
He isn’t worth this contract.

Cowboys got nothing from Romo for all that money.
They don’t want to get burned again.

even if he signs this deal and get 2 or 3 playoff wins over contract... it’s another loss for Jerry.

zero returns continue..... 25 years and counting...

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I just did Tannehill's for another post. His actual APY if he is cut in 2022 would be $20.6 million.

I've done Carson Wentz's. He can be cut in 2023 with a cap savings of $21 million. If he is, his actual APY would be $26.9.

I've done Russell Wilson's. He could be cut in 2022 with a cap savings of $11 million. If he is, his actual APY would be $28.8.

Why do you think Dak's is going to be different from that? If his guarantee is $106 million over five years, then he's going to get around $106 million in a five-year span (even if he's not on the roster that fifth year), which averages to $26.5 over the four years he's kept.

$15 million the first year, $22 million the second, $24 million the third, $35 million the fourth and $10 million (dead cap) the fifth averages out to $26.75 over four years.

So your saying it’s a low ball offer @Reality @reddyuta

I’m telling y’all Dak’s mental fortitude is greater than entire Dallas organization and the state of Texas.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They don't. I mean, that's just not a true statement. On the whole, salaries go up because the CBA dictates this as a part of negotiation, according to profit margin by the league but, this doesn't apply to every single position unilaterally. Look at what has happened to the RB position in the NFL, as you mentioned. Once among the highest paid players in the entire league, they are now well below that. There is a difference between salaries rising and bad contracts. If we were talking about Dak at 33 or even 35, that represents rising salary but we are talking 40. That's decreasing value by overpaying.

I really wished the team would have allowed Dak to test the market. I think what he would have saw would have been eye opening to him but, that didn't happen so it is what it is.

The only ones saying 40 mil are the sportswriters speculating and users here repeating it. If Prescott did hit the open market what makes so certain that what his agent is demanding now wouldn't be what he would be demanding then? See that's the flaw with that reasoning. Secondly, teams don't allow the QB that they have publicly stated numerous times that he is their QB for now and the future hit the open market. Fans think that it would be great but teams don't gamble like that especially when there isn't a better alternative on the team and no better alternative available at that time in free agency.
Salaries go up because there is more money every year. Because there is more money available the market values rise because of that. Yes the CBA set what percentage players get, but it's the actual increase in cap space every year that fuels rising market value.. Since there is more money players want bigger contracts. That's market value.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Still stuck on the length of the contract. They should just flip a coin and get this thing done. If Dak loses the flip, poor baby, he has to play one more year for $35M. I no longer feel bad for him but he's still my quarterback.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
Look if we have to keep him. Hopefully he takes less.

Can you agree he's being a little bit greedy?

#DontpayDak

He's not greedy. He has all the leverage right now. His situation is much different than goeff or wentz. The facts are this
1st yr franchise $31.409 million
2nd yr franchise $37.680 million ( 20% increase highly likely to be franchised again)
3rd yr franchise $54.2 (44% increase unlikely to be franchised)

Doesn't matter if you think he's a top qb or not, or even if he is worth it. This is his franchise compensation.

He's getting almost 70 million for 2yrs guaranteed. If dallas does franchise a 3rd yr that's an average of 41 million per yr. If they don't he's a free agent and his market value could skyrocket to the highest bidder. I don't see him signing a long term deal for less than $37-$38 million per year. You also have to factor in that 2 yrs from now the qb average cost will rise, and fans are complaining that he's greedy because he won't sign a 5yr $35 million per yr. contract when he already is getting $35 million for 2 yrs. I think Dallas made a mistake using the exclusive franchise tag.

lostar2009

Reaction score

Dak is going to see every penny of that contact too.

Flamma

Reaction score

Ok, but since this is a new contract, how do you propose they spread out the cap hits? The rookie deal is gone, there's nowhere to hide the signing bonus. The cap hits are going to be enormous.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The only ones saying 40 mil are the sportswriters speculating and users here repeating it. If Prescott did hit the open market what makes so certain that what his agent is demanding now wouldn't be what he would be demanding then? See that's the flaw with that reasoning. Secondly, teams don't allow the QB that they have publicly stated numerous times that he is their QB for now and the future hit the open market. Fans think that it would be great but teams don't gamble like that especially when there isn't a better alternative on the team and no better alternative available at that time in free agency.
Salaries go up because there is more money every year. Because there is more money available the market values rise because of that. Yes the CBA set what percentage players get, but it's the actual increase in cap space every year that fuels rising market value.. Since there is more money players want bigger contracts. That's market value.

Thats not true. Daks representation floated that number initially. Why do you ask me why I am certain about the numbers CAA would ask for? I never said, one way or the other, what CAA would ask for if he tested the market. What I said was it would have been great if they had been allowed to because I fully expect that they would have asked for that type of money and I also fully expect that they would have gotten the taste slapped out of their mouths after seeing what would have actually been offered. After seeing where the market on Dak was actually set.

Rising market value's are not the reason players want bigger contracts and that's not what "Market Value" is. Players have always wanted bigger contracts so market value has noting to do with player contracts desires. Market Value is what somebody is willing to pay you. It's not driven by how much money is made, per say.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He's not greedy. He has all the leverage right now. His situation is much different than goeff or wentz. The facts are this
1st yr franchise $31.409 million
2nd yr franchise $37.680 million ( 20% increase highly likely to be franchised again)
3rd yr franchise $54.2 (44% increase unlikely to be franchised)

Doesn't matter if you think he's a top qb or not, or even if he is worth it. This is his franchise compensation.

He's getting almost 70 million for 2yrs guaranteed. If dallas does franchise a 3rd yr that's an average of 41 million per yr. If they don't he's a free agent and his market value could skyrocket to the highest bidder. I don't see him signing a long term deal for less than $37-$38 million per year. You also have to factor in that 2 yrs from now the qb average cost will rise, and fans are complaining that he's greedy because he won't sign a 5yr $35 million per yr. contract when he already is getting $35 million for 2 yrs. I think Dallas made a mistake using the exclusive franchise tag.

Here's the huge flaw in your logic. First unless I've been asleep and the calendar has jumped to July 15, all you're doing is SPECULATING. That and 2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Second I'll use recent Cowboy history to put a giant worm in you logic. Lawrence was exclusively franchised in 2018 and then again in 2019 BUT, I know you're going to hate this, Lawrence signed his long term contract 4 days after getting that second tag. That second tag was just to keep other teqams from negotiating with him. I know that things like this doesn't fit your speculation, but to bad. You might not want to rely so much on your crystal ball or Ouija board for NFL related things.

Silly

Reaction score
Start Andy.... Trade Dak for draft pics. In fact trade him to the browns.