News: Details Emerge From The Cowboys Current Offer To Prescott

Silly

Reaction score
If this was Aikman or Romo, would you pay him

I would have traded both Aikman and Romo toward the end of their careers. That second big contract is just fools gold. They never won anything. Dallas front office has to start working on using trade equity to make the team stronger.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tannehill is making $22.5 million this year, $29.5 in 2021 and could be cut in 2022 with $10 million in dead money but $24 million in cap savings. His APY could easily end up being 20.6 million. The $29 million in salary for 2022 (most of which isn't guaranteed) and $27 base in 2023, to go with that $10 million bonuses that's guaranteed, inflate the APY.

Dak's overall APY will definitely be higher than Tannehill's, though.
That's not true.

Other than that umm good post.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/NFL/breaking-down-ryan-tannehills-extension-1002/

The Titans 2019 run was clearly too good to move on from Tannehill in the short term, & Tennessee extended the 31 year old to a 4 year $118M contract. The deal includes $37.5M in 2020 thanks to a $20M signing bonus, $62M fully guaranteed at signing, all through 2021. If he’s on the roster the 5th league day of 2021, his entire $29M 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed as well. In other words, Tannehill’s almost certainly guaranteed $91M over the next three seasons, bringing his career earnings to just under $170M - an incredible turnaround for a player who was tossed aside by the Dolphins just one year ago.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
Here's the huge flaw in your logic. First unless I've been asleep and the calendar has jumped to July 15, all you're doing is SPECULATING. That and 2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Second I'll use recent Cowboy history to put a giant worm in you logic. Lawrence was exclusively franchised in 2018 and then again in 2019 BUT, I know you're going to hate this, Lawrence signed his long term contract 4 days after getting that second tag. That second tag was just to keep other teqams from negotiating with him. I know that things like this doesn't fit your speculation, but to bad. You might not want to rely so much on your crystal ball or Ouija board for NFL related things.
Here's the huge flaw in your logic. First unless I've been asleep and the calendar has jumped to July 15, all you're doing is SPECULATING. That and 2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Second I'll use recent Cowboy history to put a giant worm in you logic. Lawrence was exclusively franchised in 2018 and then again in 2019 BUT, I know you're going to hate this, Lawrence signed his long term contract 4 days after getting that second tag. That second tag was just to keep other teqams from negotiating with him. I know that things like this doesn't fit your speculation, but to bad. You might not want to rely so much on your crystal ball or Ouija board for NFL related things.

I know you don't like the reality of the situation, but the franchise numbers are what they are. It's rumored that he turned down a $35 million per yr. contract. I think if dallas wants him, they will have to pay between 37-38 million per yr. I never speculated that he wouldn't get signed, if that is what you are referring to, just the amount since if he were to be franchised 3yrs in a row that would be 41million per year average, and signing long term would be giving dallas a discount at 37-38 million. Seems like middle ground to me but maybe he does sign for less, just doesn't make sense to me.

Jipper

Reaction score
It's important, but not enough to salary cap hamstring the team. There's a point where it's not worth it to go any higher.

yeah i agree, but doesnt seem like dak cares...he just wants his $$'s, which i don't begrudge him of but man i wish he was more like brady

DFWJC

Reaction score
Am I missing something or your proposed number is off? Not much of a discount for a shorter contract. I would say 4 yrs but average less than $30 million per yer. It’s a bet on himself.
I'm guessing this is where it stands
Cowboys offer 5 years 165-175 mil, 110 guaranteed
Dak wants 4 years 140-160 mil, same 110 guaranteed

If Dallas gave him the 5 year guaranteed money for 4 years--a huge give up--maybe Dak takes the 33-35 range.
There is no scenario where Dak's taking under 33, imo. And probably not even under 35.

Unfortunately for cap.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
$106 mil guaranteed for what? One playoff win and failing to get us into the playoffs in the worst division in football? I know every player was hamstrung with Garrett, but come on...we're talking about a good bus driver here. $106 mil guaranteed? Just roll the dice with Dalton.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Thats not true. Daks representation floated that number initially. Why do you ask me why I am certain about the numbers CAA would ask for? I never said, one way or the other, what CAA would ask for if he tested the market. What I said was it would have been great if they had been allowed to because I fully expect that they would have asked for that type of money and I also fully expect that they would have gotten the taste slapped out of their mouths after seeing what would have actually been offered. After seeing where the market on Dak was actually set.

Rising market value's are not the reason players want bigger contracts and that's not what "Market Value" is. Players have always wanted bigger contracts so market value has noting to do with player contracts desires. Market Value is what somebody is willing to pay you. It's not driven by how much money is made, per say.

First of what is CAA? You typed enough so why using some unknown abbreviation? Second yes players have always asked for more money because they know there is more money. Market value is based on with teams knowing there is more money and the players knowing there is more money and they know that players aren't going to settle for amounts that were given when there was less money available. Ultimately market value is based on what a team has to pay a player to get them signed and because the money goes up every year market values go up every year too.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I know you don't like the reality of the situation, but the franchise numbers are what they are. It's rumored that he turned down a $35 million per yr. contract. I think if dallas wants him, they will have to pay between 37-38 million per yr. I never speculated that he wouldn't get signed, if that is what you are referring to, just the amount since if he were to be franchised 3yrs in a row that would be 41million per year average, and signing long term would be giving dallas a discount at 37-38 million. Seems like middle ground to me but maybe he does sign for less, just doesn't make sense to me.

You just said RUMORED. Rumors are another word for speculating. You are doing another thing of ASSUMING things that you have NO actual knowledge of to make you assumptions on. Yes everyone can do the math on what the franchise tag will be in future years, but you keep assuming that we're past July 15th and/or what happened with Lawrence on his 2nd tagged year can't happen with Prescott.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
You believe in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, and the incredible Mr. Limpet. That is what you are saying when you believe Jerry Jones offered $35M per year for 5 years and $106 guarantee and Dak Prescott who has a MBA and his agents turned it down because of 1 year and $4M dollars. Cowboy fans are naive as a baby born in the last minute.

Common sense would get the extra guaranteed money for the additional one year.

This article is false, I have seen it before, and if true, Dak would have signed.

Jerry Jones does not want to commit long term to a QB that does not make him comfortable like Romo. Jerry wants to use the franchise tag that pays $3.5M less than the so called offer (that's a reason I know the offer is fake) per season. Dak Prescott is not going to do anything comfortable for Jerry that is not a long term deal and will sit out until July or week 10 of the season when he has to report.

So stop re-posting an obvious propaganda ploy.

Swagger

Reaction score
It might be talented, but the roster is certainly not in the top 3 in the NFL in talent, and only arguably in the top 5. The 3 deepest 53 man rosters are almost assuredly the Chiefs, Ravens, and 49ers in a debatable order. Then in my eyes you have the Saints, Cowboys, even the Bucs depending on what you get from them. Why would you bet on the Super Bowl with that situation when if you just bet on yourself, you will probably win considering if he just does what he did last year he wins.

I would agree with your top three - I personally have the Ravens with the best overall roster. No coincidence that 2/3 have QBs regarding as top 5 in the league on rookie contracts. Jimmy G is pretty much paid for what he is which helps the rest of the roster.

I really like the Bills. They have a strong roster again built around a QB on a rookie contract and I rate Josh Allen higher than most. He has never had a top oline and that remains the concern for them this season but it's been a better coached unit of late and they finally have some nice weapons on offense.

Difficult to project where we will be - the offense is loaded as it should be with 5 first round picks invested but the secondary in the defense remains a big concern of mine.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That is not what has been reported at all.
The team and Dak are on the same page about AAV, ~35m. They are arguing over contract length.
Dak wants to hit FA again shortly after the new TV contracts are done.

Dallas doesn't want to do this because 4 years means one less season to spread out cap hits and they also know the costs will go up so want to push the next deal out as far as possible.

This is the same argument Pat Mahomes is currently having with KC but at 40M AAV.

Your QB got a 4 year extension.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So your saying it’s a low ball offer @Reality @reddyuta

I’m telling y’all Dak’s mental fortitude is greater than entire Dallas organization and the state of Texas.

If his guarantee is $106 million, it's right in line with what they should be offering him. Both Wentz and Wilson got $107 million guaranteed, and Prescott probably will too; maybe even $108 million because of inflation. The real key is the number of years. Because Wentz and Wilson got extensions, their four-year deals actually pushed their contracts out to five years or more. This allowed their teams to stack some money on the back side that they will never see and lower the actual APY (actual payout per year salary capwise) while making the contract's overall APY look bigger.

If Dak wants $140 million overall with $107 guaranteed over a four-year deal, it makes it tougher to work that in because it would have to be set up where most of the nonguaranteed $33 million falls into that fourth year, making it a cut year.

Dallas would end up with something like:

$10 million guaranteed base, $15 million bonus for $25 million in 2020.

$15 million guaranteed base, $15 million bonus for $30 million in 2021.

$20 million guaranteed base, $15 million bonus for $35 million in 2022.

$35 million base ($2 million guaranteed), $15 million bonus for $50 million in 2023. Savings of $18 million if cut.

So it's essentially a three-year deal, like Russell Wilson's really is (fourth year cut year). If Dallas wants Dak for a fifth year, it might actually have to up the guarantee some as an enticement. Let's say the team goes $120 guaranteed for five years on a $160 million contract, with a $70 million signing bonus. (These look like higher numbers, but again, remember that Wilson's four-year extension pushed his contract to five years and Wentz's pushed his to six years.)

$10 million base, $14 million signing bonus for $24 million in 2020.

$12 million base, $14 million signing bonus for $26 million in 2021.

$14 million base, $14 million signing bonus for $28 million in 2022.

$22 million base, $14 million signing bonus for $36 million in 2023.

$32 million base, $14 million bonus for $46 million in 2024. Cap savings of $32 million.

Since the guaranteed is $120 million, years one through four actually have $8 in nonguaranteed money that could be pushed into that fifth year, lowering the hit by $2 million per year from 2020-2023. However, I'm not sure if there's a rule for how much higher the base for one year can be than the base for others. If there is no rule, I'd push that nonguaranteed money into the cut year, increasing the cap savings, making the totals $22 million in 2020, $24 million in 2021, $26 million in 2022 and $34 million in 2023.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
First of what is CAA? You typed enough so why using some unknown abbreviation? Second yes players have always asked for more money because they know there is more money. Market value is based on with teams knowing there is more money and the players knowing there is more money and they know that players aren't going to settle for amounts that were given when there was less money available. Ultimately market value is based on what a team has to pay a player to get them signed and because the money goes up every year market values go up every year too.

CAA is the agency that represents Prescott. They are far from unknown. Players have asked for more money, regardless of if there is money available or not. Has nothing to do with more money being available or not. It has to do with individual players wanting to get paid more. Market Value is not based on available money. That's just not true. It's pointless to argue about this with you, you are unwilling to accept the facts there. Suffice to say that if what you say were true, every QB would be making record money and they are not so no, it's not based on available money. Market Value is not based on what a team has to pay. A team doesn't have to pay any player anything. They choose to pay them and that's driven by perception of value. If what you say here were true, then half of the top 10, 2017 draft class would not have been released without having their 5th year options picked up. What you are saying is simply not accurate. I'm sorry.......

Wood

Reaction score
That is not what has been reported at all.
The team and Dak are on the same page about AAV, ~35m. They are arguing over contract length.
Dak wants to hit FA again shortly after the new TV contracts are done.

Dallas doesn't want to do this because 4 years means one less season to spread out cap hits and they also know the costs will go up so want to push the next deal out as far as possible.

This is the same argument Pat Mahomes is currently having with KC but at 40M AAV.

Your QB got a 4 year extension.

Every comment from Stephen Jones is about the money not years. Per Skip, Dak is asking for 4 years, $40M APY with it ALL guaranteed ($160M). This thing isn't close to being settled and I think only real option at this point is Dak signing franchise tag.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I’m fine with giving Dak a 4 year contract, but if we give him that, he’s gotta give some and come down on the per year money.

Say something like 4 years for $132 million.

He gets the short contract he wants, Cowboys Dave a couple million per year.

I agree 100%. It’s called compromise and is how professionals come to contract agreements. Dak cant have his cake and eat it too. Either he agrees or he plays under the tag or sits and gets nothing. And I’d be fine with either of those scenarios.

Jipper

Reaction score
Every comment from Stephen Jones is about the money not years. Per Skip, Dak is asking for 4 years, $40M APY with it ALL guaranteed ($160M). This thing isn't close to being settled and I think only real option at this point is Dak signing franchise tag.

40 mil per year is stupid. Honestly stupid.....isnt our annual cap around 200Mil? why would we pay one player 20% of the cap, that just seems ludicious.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak gets that contract? Man— he better win the SB or he will be the most hated QB in Dallas history (albeit the richest one lol)

Even a Super Bowl win won’t keep some fans from hating him. They’ll just point to Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson and claim the Cowboys could have won the Super Bowl with a lower priced QB. They’ll do everything they can to take credit away from Dak. They’ll point to the receivers, the coaching and the OL but give no credit to Dak. It seems like ever since the day he took over for Romo the majority of the fan base has been against him. His contract negotiations have turned the dislike many have for him into hatred. I’ve seen more than a couple of fans use the word “hate“ to describe their feelings for him.

Last edited:

Wood

Reaction score
40 mil per year is stupid. Honestly stupid.....isnt our annual cap around 200Mil? why would we pay one player 20% of the cap, that just seems ludicious.

I wouldn't automatically be opposed to having one player eat up 20% but he would need to be on level of Mahomes. Dak isn't close to that and I believe main hesitation by Jones.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's not true.

Other than that umm good post.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/NFL/breaking-down-ryan-tannehills-extension-1002/

The Titans 2019 run was clearly too good to move on from Tannehill in the short term, & Tennessee extended the 31 year old to a 4 year $118M contract. The deal includes $37.5M in 2020 thanks to a $20M signing bonus, $62M fully guaranteed at signing, all through 2021. If he’s on the roster the 5th league day of 2021, his entire $29M 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed as well. In other words, Tannehill’s almost certainly guaranteed $91M over the next three seasons, bringing his career earnings to just under $170M - an incredible turnaround for a player who was tossed aside by the Dolphins just one year ago.

Oops, I did not see his total guaranteed. Thought it was $62 million.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
yeah i agree, but doesnt seem like dak cares...he just wants his $$'s, which i don't begrudge him of but man i wish he was more like brady

I don't begrudge him, but he needs to understand that at some point it's not worth it to the team to pay him more, and the team is better off instead going with Dalton for a year or two and drafting a QB. Due to the salary cap, there's a limit to how high the team can go without it hurting the other positions too much. I agree with you that I wish he were more like Brady. If other positions are depleted, it makes it hard or impossible to win a championship. IMO this 35 mil a year is right at that maximum, and I'd rather see the team hold firm to that.