News: Devin Smith: after long road back Smith close to roster spot

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been discussed before. But just posting a link to an article about it from DC.com
I think he earned his spot on the roster. And think Smith and Wilson should get spots, move Brown too PUP. Or keep him on it actually.
See what these two can bring to the team. We already seen Wilson on a few punt returns, and I liked it.
I liked both catching the ball, and both have speed to run.

It seemed Wilson caught shorter passes, but can run after the catch, something we need.
Smith finds ways to get open, he can also get in front of the DB going downfield. too bad White could not make the throws. Rush made a few.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/after-long-road-back-smith-close-to-roster-spot

quickccc

Reaction score
it maybe just me, but I can be more intrigued with Devin smith a reputed speed merchant and top rated prospect on his way back to form ..rather than a mere utility guy
whose best know qualities are just blocking and special teams.

And what is going on with his wheels (hamstring now knee) where he is continually missing entire summers and very valuable development time ?
and its' such that he's not even back at practice and a continuing likelihood that it's still problematic going into the regular season ?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been discussed before. But just posting a link to an article about it from DC.com
I think he earned his spot on the roster. And think Smith and Wilson should get spots, move Brown too PUP. Or keep him on it actually.
See what these two can bring to the team. We already seen Wilson on a few punt returns, and I liked it.
I liked both catching the ball, and both have speed to run.

It seemed Wilson caught shorter passes, but can run after the catch, something we need.
Smith finds ways to get open, he can also get in front of the DB going downfield. too bad White could not make the throws. Rush made a few.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/after-long-road-back-smith-close-to-roster-spot

I agree. A great story. I think Smith and Wilso have staked their claims for receiver spots 5 and 6.

Number1

Reaction score
First and foremost, a receiver should actually be able to receive the football. And the most important ability is availability.

Brown shows neither.

true, from our perspective, but we've seen him in limited situations and not really as part of a normal rotation ... the coaches and FO are with these guys daily

we know more about his receiving skills from college than with Boys - he wins at the top of routes with leverage and has nice hands

I haven't seen him run enough patterns to know his NFL value, and I'm wondering if he can play X,
but a 220 lbs slot WR or H back ... in a play action offense creates serious mismatches if used regularly as a target is interesting

if he stays on the PuP (or not) may sooner or later make it through waivers to the PS

still, don't he surprised if they only keep 3 TEs on the 53 and Noah

reddyuta

Reaction score
Wilson ceiling is high,he can play the slot and outside.this is the kind of Wr we need to have as the 4th WR who can hopefully be a starter down the road.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
true, from our perspective, but we've seen him in limited situations and not really as part of a normal rotation ... the coaches and FO are with these guys daily

we know more about his receiving skills from college than with Boys - he wins at the top of routes with leverage and has nice hands

I haven't seen him run enough patterns to know his NFL value, and I'm wondering if he can play X,
but a 220 lbs slot WR or H back ... in a play action offense creates serious mismatches if used regularly as a target is interesting

if he stays on the PuP (or not) may sooner or later make it through waivers to the PS

I think they're only 3 TE's anyway.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it maybe just me, but I can be more intrigued with Devin smith a reputed speed merchant and top rated prospect on his way back to form ..rather than a mere utility guy
whose best know qualities are just blocking and special teams.

And what is going on with his wheels (hamstring now knee) where he is continually missing entire summers and very valuable development time ?
and its' such that he's not even back at practice and a continuing likelihood that it's still problematic going into the regular season ?
Brown had knee surgery.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Yeah people keep talking about what Brown has shown like he's had a chance to show anything lol. He's been hurt in preseason and doesn't play much in regular season. No one here has seen enough of him to determine how good or bad he is. Now if you want to get rid of him because he can't stay healthy than that's a more legit reason.