News: Devin Smith: after long road back Smith close to roster spot

quickccc

Reaction score
Brown had knee surgery.

yeh, I heard it was a knee scope that initially wasn't expected to be this lengthy.
but my point is last year he was held back by a hamstring that forced him to miss entire summer
and now it's a knee that has forced him to miss another entire summer. Two leg related injuries that stalled his development.

and the mystery of it is the team had already pre-determined that they are so in love with Noah that he already
had the team made even before the preseason commenced.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So sad that we’re going to let Smith or Wilson walk to keep Noah Brown.

I don't see that as a certainty. Like jazz said, PUP is an option for Brown, but so it cutting Brown, or Austin.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
They would keep 3 TEs anyway, so having Witten as one of them has no effect on Smith's status.
It would if you had a TE that was an effective run blocker. They keep noah brown in heavier run packages as a TE. I do love that you come after every single post I make on every single subject. I love the haters.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would if you had a TE that was an effective run blocker. They keep noah brown in heavier run packages as a TE. I do love that you come after every single post I make on every single subject. I love the haters.

Brown isn't playing on the LOS and lining up beside the OT as an inline blocker. Besides, even without Witten Brown only averaged 6 snaps a game.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Brown isn't playing on the LOS and lining up beside the OT as an inline blocker. Besides, even without Witten Brown only averaged 6 snaps a game.
Correct but if he is the only guy on the team they feel comfortable being able to block for those certain packages for 6 snaps a game it's tough to cut him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct but if he is the only guy on the team they feel comfortable being able to block for those certain packages for 6 snaps a game it's tough to cut him.

He's taking on the role of a blocking WR, not a TE. Even if they had a great blocking TE, Brown would still take a few snaps here and there as a blocking WR.

In any case, I still don't think Brown is a dead lock to make the team anyway. He could get cut, or he could be put on PUP or IR.

Number1

Reaction score
Yeah people keep talking about what Brown has shown like he's had a chance to show anything lol. He's been hurt in preseason and doesn't play much in regular season. No one here has seen enough of him to determine how good or bad he is. Now if you want to get rid of him because he can't stay healthy than that's a more legit reason.

we bad mouth these coaches as much as they deserve, but if they've seen enough of Brown to actually bump Smith, Wilson, or a 4th TE ...
maybe he's the big WR we're missing - Scott was let go for a lot of reasons

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
we bad mouth these coaches as much as they deserve, but if they've seen enough of Brown to actually bump Smith, Wilson, or a 4th TE ...
maybe he's the big WR we're missing - Scott was let go for a lot of reasons
Right. We know that this team whether it was Garrett's fault or Linehan does a horrible job of putting their players in a better position to succeed. To this point they've been just getting by based on their own skill.

Altestic

Reaction score
Yes we can cut Cobb and keep Smith, Wilson and Jon Vea Johnson

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes we can cut Cobb and keep Smith, Wilson and Jon Vea Johnson

We can, but that wouldn't be very smart. Johnson can go to the practice team if we decide to keep him at all.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
So sad that we’re going to let Smith or Wilson walk to keep Noah Brown.
I believe Smith and Wilson both make the 53, but what do I know.
I know that Smith and Wilson both pass the eye test, from a fans perspective.
If Brown is retained in place of either, then someone else with a closer eye values a blocking WR more, than a potential playmaker WR.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
First off Devin in my mind is a lock.

Smith is a 2nd round pick who seems entirely healthy and is executing like a 2nd round pick, and we have him under contract for peanuts for the next two years.

I'd cut Austin first. And I like Austin a lot. Maybe even Cobb, who hasn't looked like much to me, and that's not really to my surprise.

But the actual cut is easy. Cut Brown, our tiny blocking TE. I'd really rather have Lucas than Brown.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
still, don't he surprised if they only keep 3 TEs on the 53 and Noah

I think TE is being downplayed in our scheme, with FB taking up some of that slack. 4 TEs is way overkill for our offense, particularly when none of them is a full sized blocking TE.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but if we cut Cobb we can get comp pick back for Beasley
Are you sure about that? We’ve already signed and committed to paying Cobb, and so I doubt you can tell the NFL “oops! never mind, forget we did that” and ask for a do over. Besides, what help would that be for this season anyway?

Last edited: