News: Devin Smith humbled to have opportunity

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is already on PUP. What needs to happen is the same as last season. Makes the 53, then gets moved to IR, so he will be eligible to return during the season. Then they bring back another player.

So very possible they keep 7 WR's, move him to IR, then bring back a 9th OL, 10th DB or something like that.
No need for IR. They could just keep him on PUP.

Keeping him on PUP does not require an initial spot on the 53.

Also, he can return week 7 from the PUP but not until week 9 from IR if I recall correctly.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw one report that said Noah Brown is behind schedule and isn't quite where he should be in rehab.
Being that it's a knee injury, could that lead to another IR case with him as they did with him last year? , ..or PUP list if Cowboys choose to go that route ?

Problem still is with whether short term IR or PUP, is that we still would have to cut a promising player, just to get Noah Brown back onto the active 53 roster, once he's declared healthy and ready.

The team does not have to activate a player from IR or PUP.
- If a player pushes the issue he can claim to be healthy and force the team to either activate him or release him.

It is much easier to find roster spot during the season than on cut day.
- They carried 7 WRs for about 7 games last season.
- Brown went from IR to the 53 for game 9.
- Lenoir was promoted to the 53 from the ps for game 9 and stayed through game 15.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No need for IR. They could just keep him on PUP.

Keeping him on PUP does not require an initial spot on the 53.

Also, he can return week 7 from the PUP but not until week 9 from IR if I recall correctly.

I thought the PUP stopped when the season started. I guess not.
I knew NFI still went on after game 1.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No. The big catch is that the player must start training camp on PUP (off-season pup) and stay there until cut day in order to be eligible to be on the active (in-season) PUP.
- The only players that started camp on PUP are Brown, DLaw, Crawford and Byron Jones.

Any player that had 1 or more practice reps in training camp cannot be on PUP. They must go to IR if injured or get an injury settlement.

As you posted, they must be on the 53 after the initial cut to 53, then moved to IR in order to be eligible to return during the season.

Players can be moved to IR without using a 53 man roster spot but can't return during the season.
- Teams must wait until cut day to move these players to IR if they want to avoid exposing the player to waivers.
- Teams can move players to IR during the off-season but the players must pass through waivers.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the NFL website:

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/

Aug. 31 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/NonFootball Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Further info:

Mid-Oct. Beginning on the sixth calendar day prior to a club’s seventh regular season game (including any bye week) clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform and Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness for a period not to exceed 21 days. Players may be activated during the 21-day practice period, or prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period, provided that no player may be activated to participate in a Week 6 game.
At any time after six weeks have elapsed since a player was placed on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Non-Football Injury/Illness, each club is permitted to designate two players for return from either list to the club’s 53-player Active/Inactive List.
A player who is “Designated For Return” must have suffered a major football-related injury or non-football-related injury or illness after reporting to training camp and passing his preseason physical examination and must have been placed on the applicable Reserve List after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the final roster reduction.
A player whom the club wishes to designate for return is permitted to return to practice for a period not to exceed 21 days. The club is required to notify the League office that the player has been “Designated For Return” on the first day the player begins to practice. The player cannot be returned to the Active/Inactive List until eight weeks have elapsed since the date he was placed on Reserve.