Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or great minds think alike...lol

tenor.gif

Praxit

Reaction score
who does Smith remind you of?
..that receiver who played for Seattle then went to Detroit. He is fast, good hands and finds open areas. Cant remember his name? That guy would kill us in games. Always found open area on our secondary. ....

...Update: .. got it.. Golden Tate.

75boyz

Reaction score
Back on April 7th, before the NFL draft, I wrote a post about Devin Smith being my 2019 pet cat. The Comparison I made then was to the Cowboys signing Marc Colombo in late November, 2005. Columbo was a former 29th overall pick by the Bears, who blew out his knee twice in his first three seasons, and was discarded after being a huge disappointment in Chicago. Devin Smith's experience after being the 37th overall pick is very similar to that of Marc Columbo, with two blown out knee injuries himself in his first 3 seasons in the NFL.

Colombo, a 2002 low 1st round pick came to the Cowboys at the tale end of his 4th year in the NFL, and didn't play a down for the Cowboys offense in 2005. In fact, he didn't play at all in his "4th" season. Colombo went on to start 72 out of 80 games for the Cowboys from 2006-2010.

Devin Smith was out of the NFL in 2018, what would have been his 4th season in the NFL. Like Colombo, he didn't play a down - which allowed his knee sufficient time to heal. Now, in the 5th season since he was drafted high in the 2015 2nd round, he comes to Dallas. In the preseason, he showed his high draft pedigree with crisp routes, fighting for contested balls, and generally being a great target for Cooper Rush in games. And like Colombo, I expect good things from Smith.

Both Randall Cobb and Tavon Austin, the players manning the slot receiver position for Dallas, have been hampered in recent seasons by injuries: Cobb missed 7 games in 2018, while Austin missed 9 games. Smith is tailor made to become the slot receiver of the future for the Cowboys. Additionally, both Cobb and Austin are on short, 1-year contracts. It will not shock me at all if Smith becomes the starting slot receiver for the Cowboys in 2020, and if those other two guys go down to injuries, it could happen this year, with the Cowboys bringing back Cedrick Wilson from the Practice Squad.

Finding Colombo in 2006 was like finding money while walking down the sidewalk. He was a quality starter for the Cowboys for 5 seasons. I think that Devin Smith is going to be a repeat of history for the Cowboys, and I'm excited to see what the trio of Cooper, Gallup and Smith will do together over the next 5 years.

Really excellent post. A pleasure reading it fellow Cowboys fan.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He's better than Cobb and Austin, he just needs reps so the coaching staff can trust him.

sbark

Reaction score
That’s where the NFL is going.

Guys like Cedric Wilson don’t have much value anymore.
But, in the tangle of legs coming back down....increased chance of injury
Same as in the nba, a Larry bird and Stockton longevity cause they play on the ground.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I’ve said it before... he reminds me of Terry Glenn. A really good athlete (although not quite Glenn) with very nice body control and hand-eye coordination.

If he stays healthy, he’s going to be good IMO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Back on April 7th, before the NFL draft, I wrote a post about Devin Smith being my 2019 pet cat. The Comparison I made then was to the Cowboys signing Marc Colombo in late November, 2005. Columbo was a former 29th overall pick by the Bears, who blew out his knee twice in his first three seasons, and was discarded after being a huge disappointment in Chicago. Devin Smith's experience after being the 37th overall pick is very similar to that of Marc Columbo, with two blown out knee injuries himself in his first 3 seasons in the NFL.

Colombo, a 2002 low 1st round pick came to the Cowboys at the tale end of his 4th year in the NFL, and didn't play a down for the Cowboys offense in 2005. In fact, he didn't play at all in his "4th" season. Colombo went on to start 72 out of 80 games for the Cowboys from 2006-2010.

Devin Smith was out of the NFL in 2018, what would have been his 4th season in the NFL. Like Colombo, he didn't play a down - which allowed his knee sufficient time to heal. Now, in the 5th season since he was drafted high in the 2015 2nd round, he comes to Dallas. In the preseason, he showed his high draft pedigree with crisp routes, fighting for contested balls, and generally being a great target for Cooper Rush in games. And like Colombo, I expect good things from Smith.

Both Randall Cobb and Tavon Austin, the players manning the slot receiver position for Dallas, have been hampered in recent seasons by injuries: Cobb missed 7 games in 2018, while Austin missed 9 games. Smith is tailor made to become the slot receiver of the future for the Cowboys. Additionally, both Cobb and Austin are on short, 1-year contracts. It will not shock me at all if Smith becomes the starting slot receiver for the Cowboys in 2020, and if those other two guys go down to injuries, it could happen this year, with the Cowboys bringing back Cedrick Wilson from the Practice Squad.

Finding Colombo in 2006 was like finding money while walking down the sidewalk. He was a quality starter for the Cowboys for 5 seasons. I think that Devin Smith is going to be a repeat of history for the Cowboys, and I'm excited to see what the trio of Cooper, Gallup and Smith will do together over the next 5 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if Smith takes #2 over from Gallup. Especially in the base offense, where his speed has a clear advantage over Gallup.

I see Smith more as an outside WR than a slot guy.

And I see the slot going to the run/catch dual threats like Austin/Cobb/Pollard. Maybe Gallup. He was supposed to be something of a YAC guy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I liked what Smith did in the preseason. But chances are he won't even dress for many of our games.

Once the inevitable Tavon Austin injury occurs, then we can revisit our discussion.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if Smith takes #2 over from Gallup. Especially in the base offense, where his speed has a clear advantage over Gallup.

I see Smith more as an outside WR than a slot guy.

And I see the slot going to the run/catch dual threats like Austin/Cobb/Pollard. Maybe Gallup. He was supposed to be something of a YAC guy.
Hes not taking the WR2 from Gallup, who is going to have a great year, IMO. I do like Smith a lot, but Gallup is going to be really good.

JBond

Reaction score
He must be something, he beat out Cedric Wilson (my pet cat). I hope they find a way to get him back on the field. The 2 together would be very good.
When the lights come on and the plays count, I hope all the Dallas Cowboys shine. I got over pets a long time ago.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if Cooper misses time at some point,this guy will come in and do great. He played at a big time program and has the mindset. Great pick up.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I guess it is like found money.

Like reaching into your winter jacket, feeling the soft feel of currency, expecting a five and pulling out a one.

Hey, bonus!