Devin Smith is like Found Money

Number1

Reaction score
Randall Cobb and Tavon Austin, the players manning the slot receiver position for Dallas, have been hampered in recent seasons by injuries: Cobb missed 7 games in 2018, while Austin missed 9 games. Smith is tailor made to become the slot receiver of the future for the Cowboys. Additionally, both Cobb and Austin are on short, 1-year contracts. It will not shock me at all if Smith becomes the starting slot receiver for the Cowboys in 2020,

I think they never abandoned the idea of multiple guys playing X, Y, and Z and forcing the D to guess at the LOS
Cooper, Gallup, and Smith sure fit that description - sooner or later Wilson is in and Austin / Cobb don't resign for 2020

Coop and Gallup see the most targets, 8/+ targets each per game
Funny thing - I think, Cobb / Austin / Smith may see about equal time, other targets - Witten, Jarwin, and Pollard
it wouldn't surprise if all 8 see the ball every game

if I'm defending these guys ...
give Pollard an opp to be a hero - he'll deliver - so keep 7 in the box a such as possible
you need help deep on Coop / Gallup / Austin / Smith

... I'd 1 gap it and blitz - make Dak win with Witten and Cobb

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Michael Gallup

This is the hundred you find in the hip pocket of your jeans at the bottom of your laundry basket.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm pleased with the fact that we kept Devin Smith, although I loathe the fact that we cut Cedrick Wilson before he returned to be placed on the PS. I felt like he should have been retained on the active roster. The redeeming factor to me, is that once Tavon Austin is injured again, it should allow Wilson to replace him in the lineup. I suppose Tavon Austin is OK and all, but he can't stay healthy to save his soul. I felt he should have been cut instead of Wilson. Anyway, we'll see how all this turns out.

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score
Smith is also gunner on special teams isn’t he? That adds value as a guy on that suits up.

quickccc

Reaction score
He's better than Cobb and Austin, he just needs reps so the coaching staff can trust him.

if he ever gets back to his Buckeye playing form he could be better than Cobb and Austin. - he still short on game experience and durability.

but when you an a former high regarded WR prospect with a rep as a speed merchant, that potential and physical ability may have been too great an urge to pass up.

plus Devin has the speed needed for the outside role, that cedrick wilson does not ... i can see Wilson as limited, and his potential doesnt surpass Devin's.

that said Devin still has to face the challenge of remaining on the roster once ( If ?) noah brown is due to return to the 53 roster.
he does not strike me as an great open field runner, his best work seems o be hat he does upfield - i've seen profiles that compared him to deshaun jakcson - i don't see that either.

i do wonder how much speed he could lave lost to 2 devastating ACL injuries, but he obviously is drviing and pushing hard to try to get back to that form as he was in his OSU days

in fact i was hoping to see more of his reputed deep speed and ability to get over top of defense - but its harder to see that with the likes of mike white and taryn christion

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-smith?id=2552459

Austin's biggest contribution will likely come more as a dangerous open field punt returner where he is still one of the more explosive ones around.

i really believe the two big punt returns vs Seattle in playoff game cemented how the team covets this ability to the special teams .
As far as offense - Austin will be the 2nd gimmick guy behind Pollard, and he could also be 2nd up as the slot guy behind Cobb as well.

this team is more geared towards having more speed and explosive players on the roster, ..and on the playing field. And maybe the team believes Devin is one of them

Zman5

Reaction score
That’s where the NFL is going.

Guys like Cedric Wilson don’t have much value anymore.

LOL. Wilson was a deep ball guy in college. He averaged 19 yards per catch in college. That's more than what Gallop and Cooper did in college. You might want to go look at his college highlights. Half of his highlights are contested deep balls.

Number1

Reaction score
i do wonder how much speed he could lave lost to 2 devastating ACL injuries, but he obviously is drviing and pushing hard to try to get back to that form as he was in his OSU days

I'd say not much - he looks fearless at the top of routes in and out of cuts and isn't afraid to open up and run, past or over somebody, if he wasn't recovered IMO it would be obvious. he's definitely willing

his combine deep speed splits were a step faster than Gallup and a step slower than Cooper and Austin
even if he has lost a step ... :)

he came in the NFL with good hands and a deep game, needed polish,
a production XWR, projected as a nice NFL YWR

hmm, kinda some sounds like Cooper and Gallup,
6'1" 200/+ with good patterns, and run a way speed, kinda sounds like Pollard too
BTW, with the ball in his hands Pollard is real fast

that's a lot of weapons for a D to account for

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Cooper, Gallup, Smith, Cobb and either Witten or Swaim = Bad Times At The El Royale for opposing D’s.
Swaim isn't on the team. Why does guys keep saying he is backing up Witten.

For everybody, we have 3 TEs in the roster and none are called Swaim or Swain.

Witten
Jarwin
Shultz

Altestic

Reaction score
Swaim isn't on the team. Why does guys keep saying he is backing up Witten.

For everybody, we have 3 TEs in the roster and none are called Swaim or Swain.

Witten
Jarwin
Shultz
Also there is no Whitten or Gallop and never has been, for this board's reference.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I liked what Smith did in the preseason. But chances are he won't even dress for many of our games.

Once the inevitable Tavon Austin injury occurs, then we can revisit our discussion.
Truth

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
He could be huge next year if Cobb and Austin are no longer here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked what Smith did in the preseason. But chances are he won't even dress for many of our games.

Once the inevitable Tavon Austin injury occurs, then we can revisit our discussion.
They "dressed" 6 WRs for 7 games last season.

Game 9 for example:
1. A Cooper
2. M Gallup
3. C Beasley
4. A Hurns
5. N Brown
6. L Lenoir

Inactive: T Austin

DRella

Reaction score
Smith impressed this pre-season, I want to see how this translates in the regular season. He has the potential to become a huge find for the Boys.

Should be interesting to watch. Remember he played with the Jets prior to this. Not exactly a high octane offence like the Cowboys. They had no running back to speak of let alone a QB to get him the ball. The Jets were horrible.

Maybe with a QB that is better then average in Dak, a running game that keeps defenses honest, an offensive line that buys Dak time, and above average threats like Cooper, Gallup and Witten on the receiving side. This guy may break out. Wouldn't surprise me that he takes some of Cobb's reps sooner rather then later.