Video: Devin Smith Is Winning The Wr 5 Battle So Far | Cowboys Preseason Battle

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over Wilson? Wilson has played well too.

Wilson has played well in a very limited time. What 5 plays compared to what, 20 from Smith.
Smith is ahead of Wilson. But this team likes their draft picks and often will keep a lesser draft pick over a FA. But Wilson is cheaper and under contract longer. That is the only thing he has over Smith right now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The guy was complete stud in college. Top end speed, great route runner, and play maker. And he appears to be fully healthy and making plays again. As the 5th receiver he will most likely not get as much playing time anyway and would give him another season to get back to where he was when he was drafted as a 2nd round pick.

I see him as a possible Jimmy Smith in reverse. Us being the benefactor this time.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The guy was complete stud in college. Top end speed, great route runner, and play maker. And he appears to be fully healthy and making plays again. As the 5th receiver he will most likely not get as much playing time anyway and would give him another season to get back to where he was when he was drafted as a 2nd round pick.

I see him as a possible Jimmy Smith in reverse. Us being the benefactor this time.

Ok. I just don't see them giving up on Wilson after what he's showing in camp. I guess Brown is the odd man out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The big question is: "How important are Noah Brown's crackback blocks to the outside running game?" Because Brown is NOT a better receiver than Wilson or Smith. But he MIGHT BE a more valuable player for the Cowboys system.
Wilson has the size to do the same crackback blocks to the outside running game that Noah Brown does. Now, Wilson might not be the downfield stud blocker that Noah Brown is, but Wilson still can block. Not sure Devin Smith could do that though.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The big question is: "How important are Noah Brown's crackback blocks to the outside running game?" Because Brown is NOT a better receiver than Wilson or Smith. But he MIGHT BE a more valuable player for the Cowboys system.

Tiny blocking TE. Maybe he takes Rico's roster spot.

I'm skeptical we keep him. The offensive personnel have moved from Garrett's max protect fit to a max threat fit with Moore. No Threat Noah isn't a fit.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Wilson has the size to do the same crackback blocks to the outside running game that Noah Brown does. Now, Wilson might not be the downfield stud blocker that Noah Brown is, but Wilson still can block. Not sure Devin Smith could do that though.

Smith might be the starting slot receiver in 2020 - after Cobb and Austin have their contracts expire. That leaves a 5 man WR group of Cooper (1st round pick), Smith (2nd round pick), Gallup (3rd round pick), Wilson (6th round pick) and Brown (7th round pick) in 2020.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Smith might be the starting slot receiver in 2020 - after Cobb and Austin have their contracts expire. That leaves a 5 man WR group of Cooper (1st round pick), Smith (2nd round pick), Gallup (3rd round pick), Wilson (6th round pick) and Brown (7th round pick) in 2020.
Nice. Room for drafting another young WR of need next year.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Has Brown even practiced yet? If not, I am guessing the Cowboys will stash him on PUP for the first 6 weeks just in case they need him later in the season.