Devin Smith Thread

HungryLion

Reaction score
You don't make decisions on WR because of fluke plays like drops. You absolutely don't. You look at the whole package... route running, speed, size, acceleration, leaping ability, ability to win routes early, contested catch ability, field awareness, heck even willingness to block before you get to drop rate. It's way down the totem pole.

Drops aren’t fluke plays if they’re happening consistently though. Reports are he drops passes pretty regularly.

The Steph Curry analogy you gave is also not a good one. If you’re shooting 50% from 3 point range in the NBA. You’re doing really well.

If you’re dropping 50% of the passes thrown to you in the NFL. That’s big problem.

The consequences of missing a jump shot in an NBA game are much smaller than dropping a pass in an NFL game.

All
This being said. I like Jon’vea Johnson. I think/hope he can improve his hands if he keeps working on it. He does a really good job running routes and getting open. If thy keep him. I am fine with it.

I think they may be able to get him onto the practice squad which would be fine too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way is Cedrick Wilson cut. He definitely makes the team. It will be between Devin Smith and Austin.
I wonder what the Cowboys are thinking in terms of Austin returning punts? Smith might have the edge as a receiver, but punt returns could boost Austin’s status.

Another thing is Austin could be kept to add wrinkles to the offense - jet sweeps, reverses etc. in preseason we are too vanilla to get a sense of whether those things could be in the plans

visionary

Reaction score
Can you name me anything about Johnson that isn't above average other than the drops? Because if the "dropsies" are his only problem, he's a lock to make my team if I'm the GM.

‘Catching the ball’ is sort of the most important part of being a WR

He’ll go on the PS

visionary

Reaction score
I wonder what the Cowboys are thinking in terms of Austin returning punts? Smith might have the edge as a receiver, but punt returns could boost Austin’s status.

Another thing is Austin could be kept to add wrinkles to the offense - jet sweeps, reverses etc. in preseason we are too vanilla to get a sense of whether those things could be in the plans

Smith is a real WR and Austin is a gadget player some of whose touches will be taken be Pollard

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Caught a TD today after being in position to catch one last week... so likely the inside track to make that 6th and final WR spot... do you agree? So is Wilson out for sure now? What about Johnson and Austin?
Good to see Devin balling out! Cedrick is a keeper. The others can pound sand.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Gadget plays seem to work when our play calling doesn't telegraph the call.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gadget plays seem to work when our play calling doesn't telegraph the call.
Exactly right. Which is part of why it could be a consideration to use a player who normally plays WR for those plays rather than split Pollard out wide specially to run those plays. Of course, if Zeke gets signed they may use Pollard all over the field regularly

visionary

Reaction score
That was some of my thought too, but will Pollard be used more as a traditional RB, and will he return punts? The answer to those questions may determine if Austin has a chance or not.

We do need a PR/KR in the worst way because the FO just refuses to prioritize ST for some reason

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely could see it being Cooper, Gallup , Cobb, Wilson, Brown and Smith with both rookies on the PS to learn to catch the ball.