Devin Smith Thread

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He is toast. I hate it as well, but he has made his bed.
Correct. When you are undrafted and low on the depth chart you don't get many chances to make the roster. You have to make the most of those chances and he hasn't.

After rewatching Pollard TD I noticed Johnson was it there on the play. Didn't see him with the 1s until I rewatched it. Maybe they were seeing if he can block? Perhaps to take Browns spot, but that was before he dropped the ball later in the game.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Can you name me anything about Johnson that isn't above average other than the drops? Because if the "dropsies" are his only problem, he's a lock to make my team if I'm the GM.
OMG!!!!!

He's a receiver, not a guard.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Caught a TD today after being in position to catch one last week... so likely the inside track to make that 6th and final WR spot... do you agree? So is Wilson out for sure now? What about Johnson and Austin?
Wilson and Smith both make the 53. Austin needs to be cut. Pollard can return KO’s. Definitely don’t want Reggie back there on PR’s

Beaker42

Reaction score
Correct. When you are undrafted and low on the depth chart you don't get many chances to make the roster. You have to make the most of those chances and he hasn't.

After rewatching Pollard TD I noticed Johnson was it there on the play. Didn't see him with the 1s until I rewatched it. Maybe they were seeing if he can block? Perhaps to take Browns spot, but that was before he dropped the ball later in the game.
Which drop? He had about 3.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Or we can keep eight and go eight on the OL, 6 at LB and trade a corner (Brown?) maybe we move Olumba to CB2 since he's like a budding Richard Sherman type that KR loves, and Awuzie to the slot
Lewis has been balling - just wish he was at least 6’0”.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Then what about Jon Vea Johnson? I think he's a stud and a great route runner with SPEED

He’s not ready yet. Great candidate for the practice squad.

Let’s remember that Devin Smith is more than a good story. The kid has pedigree. He played at Ohio State with Zeke and was drafted in the 2nd round. His career was hindered by injuries but he’s looking very much like a 2nd round pick right now.

Altestic

Reaction score
He’s not ready yet. Great candidate for the practice squad.

Let’s remember that Devin Smith is more than a good story. The kid has pedigree. He played at Ohio State with Zeke and was drafted in the 2nd round. His career was hindered by injuries but he’s looking very much like a 2nd round pick right now.
Smith was considered a 6'1" Desean Jackson coming out of college, that's rare

Injuries have killed so many Jets early round picks in the past several years, no wonder they're such a bad team today. Look at Dee Milliner... aka Claiborne 2.0.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I believe that the Cowboys keep 6 receivers and those final 6 are:

1. Amari Cooper
2. Michael Gallup
3. Randall Cobb
4. Tavon Austin (also returning punts)
5. Devin Smith
6. Cedrick Wilson

I am hoping against hope that Noah Brown doesn’t make this team, but Jerry seems to love the kid. I say move him to IR, he’s still on the PUP list.

exciter

Reaction score
Drops are flukes. Like I said, if he makes a play and gets his hands on the ball, that's good enough for me. Doesn't matter if it sticks or lands on the turf. That's irrelevant.
Hes had like 5 drops of passes that have hit his chest in 2 games. I'm thinking hes done!

HungryLion

Reaction score
Austin was our only threat in the return game last year. Unless someone else steps up we will atleast need his return ability.

I’ve seen several articles that said Cobb is willing to return punts. He has experience doing so in the pros. But I haven’t heard many reports about whether he has been doing it much in camp.

I don’t know if that’s a viable season long solution or not.

Austin is electric on punt returns. One of his best features as a player.

HungryLion

Reaction score

1. Amari Cooper
2. Michael Gallup
3. Randall Cobb
5. Devin Smith
6. Cedrick Wilson

I am hoping against hope that Noah Brown doesn’t make this team, but Jerry seems to love the kid. I say move him to IR, he’s still on the PUP list.

I tend to agree. I personally don’t see much purpose in keeping Wilson and Brown. I feel like Wilson can fill the role Brown serves. And since it seems to be a lock Wilson makes the team. I prefer the last slot goest to a speed guy.

817Gill

Reaction score
Drops are flukes. Like I said, if he makes a play and gets his hands on the ball, that's good enough for me. Doesn't matter if it sticks or lands on the turf. That's irrelevant.
You’re saying it’s irrelevant if a WR, who literally gets paid to catch footballs, catches a football?

Uhm I don’t know but to me it seems like catching the football definitely matters when evaluating a WR, but what do I know.

timb2

Reaction score
I would cut both Tavon Austin & Randall Cobb.... Final spot comes down to Devin Smith & Noah Brown......I keep Johnson & Wilson. If they try to put Johnson on waivers and then sign him to the PS.He will be gone when on waivers!!!If not someone will sign him off the PS.....I like Devin Smith ,but I don't trust he will stay healthy.

My projected WRs for the roster, go like this

Amari Cooper
Michael Gallup
Cedrick Wilson
Noah Brown
Jon'vea Johnson.

John813

Reaction score

1. Amari Cooper
2. Michael Gallup
3. Randall Cobb
5. Devin Smith
6. Cedrick Wilson

If he's still on the PUP, then I say just keep him on there and get at least 6 weeks of the roster above. Then, decide if he's still needed to be activated.