Devin Street's demise

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Might be premature. Just got through watching some of the practice footage on dallascowboys.com and he looked better than most of the contenders for his spot. He made a couple of nice inside moves and caught a contested deep pass, while Brice Butler struggled and Lucky Whitehead just looked OK

Andy Jones, though, made a couple of nice contested catches in the footage, and Ed Eagen also showed the quickness to get open and make catches.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We'll see..

Andy Jones is the token UFA who is getting a lot of buzz right now and people are already talking about his work ethic.

41.5 inch vertical too.. That's insane.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Please. It's practice. When the lights come on he's still big slow Devin Street. Get him outta here.

Agree but it's year 3 for the guy so let's see.

We desperately need someone that can make plays deep down the middle.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We'll see..

Andy Jones is the token UFA who is getting a lot of buzz right now and people are already talking about his work ethic.

41.5 inch vertical too.. That's insane.

Oh, I agree. It's early and Street could fade back into nothingness, but in what we have to go on so far, he looks better than some of the other guys fighting for his roster spot.

Andy Jones definitely has some separation issues, but knows how to catch contested balls. Butler needs to step up after a slow start. I like Eagan as another slot option, but I'm not sure how many of those we need with Beasley and Whitehead also being primarily short, quick slot receivers.

Eagan's only way to win a spot IMO is to show he's a better return man and slot receiving option than Whitehead. He looked better in the slot receiver role in the drills that the cowboys site showed ... but Whitehead has the speed factor that should show up on returns.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Please. It's practice. When the lights come on he's still big slow Devin Street. Get him outta here.

Very possible. The defenders he was beating were likely just camp bodies so it's easy to look better against those guys. But some of the receivers he's competing against for a spot also were facing camp-body DBs.

Street ran a couple of real nice routes to get open, but better DBs might have played those routes tighter.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. It's early and Street could fade back into nothingness, but in what we have to go on so far, he looks better than some of the other guys fighting for his roster spot.

Andy Jones definitely has some separation issues, but knows how to catch contested balls. Butler needs to step up after a slow start. I like Eagan as another slot option, but I'm not sure how many of those we need with Beasley and Whitehead also being primarily short, quick slot receivers.

Eagan's only way to win a spot IMO is to show he's a better return man and slot receiving option than Whitehead. He looked better in the slot receiver role in the drills that the cowboys site showed ... but Whitehead has the speed factor that should show up on returns.

Catching contested passes is key in a Jason Garrett offense cause he isn't drawing up a play that gets a guy open.

Plankton

Reaction score
This won't mean much to people in general, but I would wager that Devin Street is the best blocking WR on the team. Where his roster spot could be in jeopardy is his lack of contribution on special teams.

Section446

Reaction score
I hope that this is the year for him, he appears to have a lot of talent. Unfortunately for him, we're not a team where you're going to get a lot of opportunities if your name isn't, Witten, Bryant, or Elliott. If I had to guess, he's currently 5th on the depth chart, behind: Bryant, Williams, Beasley, and Butler... which will probably make him expendable.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
--------↓"out on the"↓--------
Devin_____________Street

-----------------↓Free Agent↓
Devin Street

Satchel89

Reaction score
I just want one of these undrafted guys to take his spot. I really do

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
And yes, Street has looked better so far than he ever has. Can he carry that over through training camp or is he just flashing for a couple days.