Devin Street's demise

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Then there's this from Jeff Sullivan on dallascowboys.com:

"Wideout Brice Butler might not be starting in Week 1 against the Giants, but he is going to start at some point this season. Not sure anyone has improved more in the last year among the skill-position players."

So Street looks better during the 15 minutes or so on video at dallascowboys.com while Sullivan says Butler might be the most improved skill-position player. My bet would be on Butler to seize a spot on the roster over Street, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This won't mean much to people in general, but I would wager that Devin Street is the best blocking WR on the team. Where his roster spot could be in jeopardy is his lack of contribution on special teams.

When we first got him, I sort of expected him to be a Sam-Hurd-on-steroids player. All around ST contributor, good blocker, and that guy who could get open for you even if he was covered. A good WR3 type who could fill in at WR2 in a pinch. He didn't really become that, except for the blocking, as you mentioned.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Then there's this from Jeff Sullivan on dallascowboys.com:

"Wideout Brice Butler might not be starting in Week 1 against the Giants, but he is going to start at some point this season. Not sure anyone has improved more in the last year among the skill-position players."

So Street looks better during the 15 minutes or so on video at dallascowboys.com while Sullivan says Butler might be the most improved skill-position player. My bet would be on Butler to seize a spot on the roster over Street, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

First I've heard about Brice Butler looking good.

Butler has a ton of talent. It would be nice if being traded to Dallas got him to put in the extra work to take that next step.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Might be premature. Just got through watching some of the practice footage on dallascowboys.com and he looked better than most of the contenders for his spot. He made a couple of nice inside moves and caught a contested deep pass, while Brice Butler struggled and Lucky Whitehead just looked OK

Andy Jones, though, made a couple of nice contested catches in the footage, and Ed Eagen also showed the quickness to get open and make catches.
I think Chris Brown has a better chance to make this team than Devin Street

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Still say we made a mistake not resigning Dwayne Harris. He was such a valuable contributor; coverage units, KR/PR and solid backup WR.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Agree but it's year 3 for the guy so let's see.

We desperately need someone that can make plays deep down the middle.

I don't know if Devin Street breaks out or not, he was one of my picks to do so last year and obviously didn't. But if you watch his college tape, he was good at deep plays, way better than you would expect.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
With all the other problems we have ....... I am not gonna stress over who is the 4th WR

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
OBJ, Victor Cruz, Sterling Shepard, and Dwayne Harris is a good WR group especially now that Cruz is healthy.

The Cowboys def need to work on the WR corps. We need more interchangeable receivers; players that can inside and out.

silver

Reaction score
Demise? He would've have actually been good (or shown signs of life) at some point in time for him to have a demise.

lkelly

Reaction score
When we first got him, I sort of expected him to be a Sam-Hurd-on-steroids player. All around ST contributor, good blocker, and that guy who could get open for you even if he was covered. A good WR3 type who could fill in at WR2 in a pinch. He didn't really become that, except for the blocking, as you mentioned.

I guess that's better than a Sam Hurd on coke and weed.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Street is a big, physical receiver that can make contested grabs. The problem is he has mediocre speed and next to no quickness. He almost never gets good separation and is probably one of those guys that practices a lot better than he plays.

His saving grace is he plays on all special teams. I'm rooting for Street because he's a Cowboy, but personally I want to see what Andy Jones can do in the preseason.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Street is a big, physical receiver that can make contested grabs. The problem is he has mediocre speed and next to no quickness. He almost never gets good separation and is probably one of those guys that practices a lot better than he plays.

His saving grace is he plays on all special teams. I'm rooting for Street because he's a Cowboy, but personally I want to see what Andy Jones can do in the preseason.

Jones is intriguing in his ability to catch the ball, but he also seems to have a lack of separation skills. Street, at least in this video, was getting some separation on his in cuts. Again, though, it was against backup DBs.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Demise? He would've have actually been good (or shown signs of life) at some point in time for him to have a demise.

He's made the roster the past couple of years, so his demise would be getting cut, which is what many predict. Signs of life are making the team whether he deserve to or not.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We have seen flashes but when people start to dislike a player then they never do anything good. That TD he caught last season was amazing not only that between top 3 recievers, Witten and all our running backs how much you think Street will get balls thrown his way. He is 5th-6th WR and other positions ahead of him when it comes to snaps.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Was there ever a rise for a demise?

Demise means "death," so yes, there was a rise in that he was drafted and has made the roster the past two seasons. Some players don't even do that.

I'm, by no means, defending Street's play. I expect him to not make the team this year (and have predicted as much). However, if he plays like he did in that video, he looks like he deserves to make the team instead of just being carried for potential.

I still consider him a dead man walking unless he can put together performances like that throughout camp and the preseason games.