Dez 3 catches where is the outrage?

erod

Reaction score
No that's insane. Dez is a mismatch at all times. There is no play in our playbook where Terrance Williams is a better option than Dez. None. Romo just doesn't have faith in Dez to throw it to him. That's all I can think of.

I think that's kind of it. Romo has complete trust in Dez to throw it to him, but not to adjust a route at the line of scrimmage. They were forcing Dez inside by playing outside leverage with the corner, but leaving a safety inside, and dropping the LB to cut off the slant.

The biggest problem was that Romo was taking a beating, and he couldn't wait a doubled receiver (Dez and Witten) to work free.

Notice how Dez never goes in motion, and Romo never moves him before the snap. I don't think Dez is comfortable yet with adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

erod

Reaction score
Im not disagreeing with you. But if the Offense is designed to go a certain way that's were Romo is going obviously. He said it himself during his press conference. Dez knows the ball is going to the right person. Thats a fundamental flaw in the scheme.

With this offense, if calvin was a cowboy, he would have been targeted 6 times yesterday. Thats why its asinine.

If Dallas had the same pass rush as Detroit yesterday, Calvin would have been targetted about six times, too.

Pass rush dictates all, and the Lions can get one with only four guys. Dallas gets zero pressure most of the time.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Gone is the play action pass, delayed draw, TE down the seam route...You know, stuff that actually worked for us before.

Its just driving me nuts on why we don't use those plays more often. Yet we run plays that absolutely doesn't work. That is a coaching problem right there. Fix the coaching and the playbook, the problem can be fixed.

Ender

Reaction score
I think that's kind of it. Romo has complete trust in Dez to throw it to him, but not to adjust a route at the line of scrimmage. They were forcing Dez inside by playing outside leverage with the corner, but leaving a safety inside, and dropping the LB to cut off the slant.

The biggest problem was that Romo was taking a beating, and he couldn't wait a doubled receiver (Dez and Witten) to work free.

Notice how Dez never goes in motion, and Romo never moves him before the snap. I don't think Dez is comfortable yet with adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

That hard to believe. I never see players go in motion in this offense besides the occasional running back sliding over for protection or spreading wide out for an empty back field look. I hardly ever see any motion from receivers period.

Jenky

Reaction score

Put him in trips, the slot, or twins then. There's so many things you can do. Holy ****.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I couldn’t be the coach of the Cowboys because i would have Romo throw the ball to Dez on every day. I just don’t understand why you don’t throw the ball to Bryant. When they throw him the ball, they score points. I don’t get it.

I’ll blame Garrett and Romo if one day i put into the looney bend. You will find me in a corner rocking back and forth saying to myself “why don’t they throw the ball to Dez? why don’t they throw the ball to Dez?”

Ender

Reaction score
If Dallas had the same pass rush as Detroit yesterday, Calvin would have been targetted about six times, too.

Pass rush dictates all, and the Lions can get one with only four guys. Dallas gets zero pressure most of the time.

That sounds good, but im not buying it. Yes pass rush always plays a factor but wasnt nearly as bad as people are making it seem. Romo had time, and when he didnt have time during the first quarter in a half, he forced the ball to Terrence Williams. ITs lazy to say, pass coverage is that main reason dez was only targeted 6 times and 1 time in the entire first half.

erod

Reaction score
Put him in trips, the slot, or twins then. There's so many things you can do. Holy ****.

He doesn't understand all that. There's a reason Oklahoma State always lined him up by their sideline. He's not a "read" football player. He runs average at best routes, but he has super human ability to go get a football if you can get him to the right spot.

Yesterday, that spot was downfield, but Romo was getting blasted and didn't have time to go downfield.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Romo takes a beating because he is asked to be a pocket passer. Thus all that a defense has to do when were in shotgun formation is pin their ears back and head straight for where Romo will be standing.

Someone mentioned why our offense is not as fluid as other offenses like Green Bay and Aaron Rogers. Well the difference is the philosophy. They move Rogers around as soon as there's pressure. They use his mobility to get out of it. Our offense, we have to form a pocket around Romo in order for it to work - but the defense knows exactly where to go in order to sack Romo. Our offense is just too easy to defend. While in Green Bay's case, the rushers can't pin their ears and head straight to Rogers because they have plays that uses Aaron's mobility and will burn the defense because of it.

erod

Reaction score
That sounds good, but im not buying it. Yes pass rush always plays a factor but wasnt nearly as bad as people are making it seem. Romo had time, and when he didnt have time during the first quarter in a half, he forced the ball to Terrence Williams. ITs lazy to say, pass coverage is that main reason dez was only targeted 6 times and 1 time in the entire first half.

Romo is being overprotective with the football these days. I do think he needs to let it go a bit. He's worried about interceptions too much now, I think.

That TD to Dez was almost picked off. Romo is trying to avoid those risks.

If Dallas had a running game, a lot of this would go away. Right now, they're incredibly predicatable, and if you can rush four and get pressure (which most teams can't), you can cause this offense fits.

egn22

Reaction score
Ender is on a roll. i agree with nearly everything youve said here today.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Its not a matter of comfort with Dez. Maybe its because the offense isn't made that way for Dez to move around, like they used TO before.

Ender

Reaction score
He doesn't understand all that. There's a reason Oklahoma State always lined him up by their sideline. He's not a "read" football player. He runs average at best routes, but he has super human ability to go get a football if you can get him to the right spot.

Yesterday, that spot was downfield, but Romo was getting blasted and didn't have time to go downfield.

I just want to know how you know what De can and cannot do in on the field? what inside information do you have that say Dez does not know how to go in motion. Im sorry, that sound like a load of crap to me. This is a wide out option based offense, but you think, no you KNOW, Dez lacks the ability to go in motion? I dont know about that.

Ender

Reaction score
Romo is being overprotective with the football these days. I do think he needs to let it go a bit. He's worried about interceptions too much now, I think.

That TD to Dez was almost picked off. Romo is trying to avoid those risks.

If Dallas had a running game, a lot of this would go away. Right now, they're incredibly predicatable, and if you can rush four and get pressure (which most teams can't), you can cause this offense fits.

Now, thats more of the truth. Romo is being over protective with the Ball. I agree with that 100 %. Ive said in the past, i dont care about stats and dont care that Romo only has 5 picks. I dont want him to throw picks at an Elisha Manning rate but you cant just not throw the ball to your best player because your afraid to throw a pick.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Im not disagreeing with you. But if the Offense is designed to go a certain way that's were Romo is going obviously. He said it himself during his press conference. Dez knows the ball is going to the right person. Thats a fundamental flaw in the scheme.

With this offense, if calvin was a cowboy, he would have been targeted 6 times yesterday. Thats why its asinine.

Its a very flawed system in which any team can look at our video and know exactly where the ball is going. Or they can use formations that forces the ball to a certain player and away from our playmakers like Bryant. The implications are enormous because the defense really doesn't have to do anything but show a formation that Romo knows who to throw to. Unfortunately, the defense also knows where the ball is going to as well, making it much easier to defend.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Prior to this game, Dez was T4th in the NFL in targets at 71 w/ Andre Johnson. AJ Green led the league in targets with 78. Calvin was at 62.

Nobody can say Tony doesn't throw the ball to him.

I wonder how many catchable balls are in those statistics? Romo seems to whiff on Dez quite a bit...lemme guess Dez's fault again...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If we don't go to Dez deep down the sideline, even when he is covered, 3 or 4 times a game then there is something wrong with our playcalling.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I wonder how many catchable balls are in those statistics? Romo seems to whiff on Dez quite a bit...lemme guess Dez's fault again...

Yeah I bet Andy Dalton, Stafford & RG3 don't whiff on any balls to their WRs either.

VThokie7

Reaction score
Because Garrett isn't the one calling the plays or throwing the football. You took away his "playcalling" duties so you can no longer use him as a scapegoat for why this offense is terrible unless you want to blame the plays themselves.

No matter what side of the Garrett fence you fall on this is ludicrous. Just because Garrett is no longer calling plays doesn't mean he no longer has any influence over the offense. This is still his scheme and he is still very much involved in the game planning. Beyond that he is still the head coach of the football team. If he decides we need to go conservative and run the ball all he has to do is tell Callahan. Likewise, if he feels we need to feed the ball to Dez or we can exploit a matchup he can radio to Callahan what to do. Even if he isn't picking the plays, he still has quite a bit of influence on the way in which our offense operates.