Dez already asked to take a pay cut?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think Dez still has some skill but he cannot get it together upstairs for some reason and makes poor personal decisions during games that have been adversely impacting the team.

The chemistry issues or whatever they are with Dak are a concern - they played two years together now with no improvement. I hear people say just throw it to him when he is covered because he will win those battles. Well he hasn't won those battles in a few years and when Dak has tried to get him the ball he has thrown up the alligator arms instead to knocking down passes that are picked off, having balls bounce off his hands being picked off or fumbling when he does make the catch. Gee, I have no idea why Dak is hesitant to throw him the ball anymore and its not like he didn't try. I think Dez had some of the most targets in the league.

Big pay cut or move on.

I don't know, I just see an overall offense that has issues even when we have returning stars like Zeke, its just been one of those seasons where nothing ever seems to finally come together health wise, suspension wise, corrupt officials, Goodells in charge of the Cartel now,, on and friggin on.

Getting a player back healthy, and then loosing two more just never seemed to work out this season, the OL has made me question how they approach this offseason.
Both starting OTs have back issues, Green sucs, and Bell is mildly serviceable,,
I wouldn't be upset if an OT was BPA.

nycowboyfan

Reaction score
I’m not sure I want him back. If he made the plays he needed to make the salary would be fine. Those drops are totally murder. Every ball that’s above his head goes right through his hands. Bring in a reliable vet receiver that can catch the ball . Then draft one in the first few rounds. Again. Somebody who is not a body catcher.

superonyx

Reaction score
The problem is Dez is not a #1 WR-- but he is a great #2. Twill is not a great #2 WR-- but he is a solid #3. Beasley is a role player nothing more.

If you cut Dez-- you now need a #1 AND #2 WRs. This team will not spend in free agency and try to build through the draft. I'm fine with investing a first round pick at WR-- but we're still too thin at the position w/o Dez IMO, with too many additional holes to fill to invest another top 100 pick in the position.

Therefore-- the best case situation is to ask Dez to take a paycut-- and draft a #1 WR in April. Then-- you part ways with Dez after next year.

And where we are drafting in the 1st round will be too late to get the guy who is projected to go in the first round. We most likely will be reaching for a WR where we may be picking.

yentl911

Reaction score
I don't know, I just see an overall offense that has issues even when we have returning stars like Zeke, its just been one of those seasons where nothing ever seems to finally come together health wise, suspension wise, corrupt officials, Goodells in charge of the Cartel now,, on and friggin on.

Getting a player back healthy, and then loosing two more just never seemed to work out this season, the OL has made me question how they approach this offseason.
Both starting OTs have back issues, Green sucs, and Bell is mildly serviceable,,
I wouldn't be upset if an OT was BPA.

Can't argue with that Typhus. I am prolly in the minority but I think LT is the biggest offseason need we have. I don't think its even close.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Ware is just relaying his own Cowboy experiences from when he was asked to take a paycut. Nobody in the organization is calling up no damn Demarcus freaking Ware to give him the scoop on the happenings of the roster.
Not saying he was or did,,, just responding that Ware obviously has more accessible contact than someone that wasn't a former teammate.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
And where we are drafting in the 1st round will be too late to get the guy who is projected to go in the first round. We most likely will be reaching for a WR where we may be picking.

Maybe. But we can also trade up.

dfense

Reaction score
This, according to DeMarcus Ware.

"They're going to go - they already went to Dez and said we're not going to pay you 12.5, can you do something for us to help out the team? If you say no, I'm not going to take a pay cut - guess what, you're not going to be with the Dallas Cowboys.”

There were some on this board that doubted whether this conversation would happen. It apparently already has.

Personally, I’d rather cut him then have him at a reduced salary. Dez’s better years are behind him.

He’s not capable of carrying the #1 WR mantle at this point in his career. He’s top 5 in the league in drops, which are drive killers, and he handles the ball carelessly. They’re covering him 1 on 1 now, he doesn’t have the speed to scare anyone and is unreliable as a red zone threat.

Wide receiver will be a major priority this off season.
He should take a cut. But the safety is always dedicated to Dez when he's on the outside. Especially since Written in no downfield threat anymore.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Can't argue with that Typhus. I am prolly in the minority but I think LT is the biggest offseason need we have. I don't think its even close.
Finding a Left Tackle is as difficult as finding a Franchise QB, and probably dominate edge rusher, and you have to include shut down corner.. the big 4 for suresies.

superonyx

Reaction score
Maybe. But we can also trade up.
The cost to move up will most likely be our 1st rounder next year...or a 2nd at minimum.
We have too many holes to give up 2 high picks for a WR. Especially considering first round WRs may be the biggest busts potential in the draft.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
What actually concerns me more than the potential moving on with out Dez, is the fear that they over inflate the value of replacing him, and reach in the draft too early.
That is the OP ofthefront office 100%

Cmac

Reaction score
The funny part about all this is ......the balloons in the air for Brice Butler to be the man or a bargain basement free agent to be the man, or the draft pick that no other team had high on the board, and a whopping 15 catches by Week 16 to show......and the "hamstring" injury.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeah, a beastly fast receiver opposite Dez can do wonders for him.
I get the notion, I just don't consider it wise to invest heavy in an area esp at wr inorder to elevate an out of his prime, fat cap, bad influence investment.
The entire WR position this offseason will be interesting to see how/if it gets shook up,, depending on the Dez outcome, I would dare to say everyone outside of Noah Brown could be gone.
lol,,, not that its going to happen of course,, but I can at least dream.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Wasn't an article just recently written where Dez said he wouldn't take a pay cut?

Researching...

Yep.

"I haven't heard no talks about that, but if it comes -- well, I don't know," Bryant said on taking a pay cut, before adding: "Probably not. Hell, no, man. I believe in me."

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If you think Dez is temperamental now just imagine him playing with a reduced contract. Either keep him at his current pay or cut him loose.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The cost to move up will most likely be our 1st rounder next year...or a 2nd at minimum.
We have too many holes to give up 2 high picks for a WR. Especially considering first round WRs may be the biggest busts potential in the draft.

Depends on how the draft unfolds. If you cut Dez-- then you HAVE to take a WR in round one. If he's on the roster-- we won't have to force the decision and have a bit more flexibility to let the draft come to us.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The funny part about all this is ......the balloons in the air for Brice Butler to be the man or a bargain basement free agent to be the man, or the draft pick that no other team had high on the board, and a whopping 15 catches by Week 16 to show......and the "hamstring" injury.
Yes, the underachievement, unproductivity at WR spawns relentless commentary.
We scrapped the entire secondary last year,
why not scrap the entire WR group this year.
I like the upside.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The problem is Dez is not a #1 WR-- but he is a great #2. Twill is not a great #2 WR-- but he is a solid #3. Beasley is a role player nothing more.

If you cut Dez-- you now need a #1 AND #2 WRs. This team will not spend in free agency and try to build through the draft. I'm fine with investing a first round pick at WR-- but we're still too thin at the position w/o Dez IMO, with too many additional holes to fill to invest another top 100 pick in the position.

Therefore-- the best case situation is to ask Dez to take a paycut-- and draft a #1 WR in April. Then-- you part ways with Dez after next year.
This is practical and not emotional. Like most of the other reactions.

aria

Reaction score
This, according to DeMarcus Ware.

"They're going to go - they already went to Dez and said we're not going to pay you 12.5, can you do something for us to help out the team? If you say no, I'm not going to take a pay cut - guess what, you're not going to be with the Dallas Cowboys.”

There were some on this board that doubted whether this conversation would happen. It apparently already has.

Personally, I’d rather cut him then have him at a reduced salary. Dez’s better years are behind him.

He’s not capable of carrying the #1 WR mantle at this point in his career. He’s top 5 in the league in drops, which are drive killers, and he handles the ball carelessly. They’re covering him 1 on 1 now, he doesn’t have the speed to scare anyone and is unreliable as a red zone threat.

Wide receiver will be a major priority this off season.
I heard them talking about this on the radio this morning. The way I understood it was that they will ask him to take a pay cut or leave and he would take it because he wants to be a Cowboy for his entire career.

I definitely didn’t interpret it as they already approached him and he agreed. Perhaps I’m wrong though, it wouldn’t be the first or last time.

conner01

Reaction score
What actually concerns me more than the potential moving on with out Dez, is the fear that they over inflate the value of replacing him, and reach in the draft too early.
It kinda forces you to draft for need rather than just take the best player so it’s a concern. Just got to hope they listen to the scouts or address it in FA