Dez and Witten Suck Train

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Where has Witten become a detriment to the offense? Who’s better at the position on this team? He still moves the chains and scores TDs. We need a speedy vertical threat at WR. TE Isn’t the problem on this team it’s the WRs. I have no issue incorporating another TE but we can’t just move on from Witten when he’s still one of the best players on the team. If you want to talk about a detriment talk about Dez.

Dez has his own problems but I don't think he is going anywhere, for now. Dallas will also roll with the same WR's I am afraid.

So, that led me to Witten. Yes, there is no one better on this roster but it doesn't change the fact that the position can be upgraded. I would like a young, dynamic TE to come in and get significant snaps, someone who spreads the field like a Gronk.

If we had the perfect WR's instead of what we have, then Jason wouldnt be a problem. I am worried that we basically see the same recieving corp and that is no bueno :(

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dez has his own problems but I don't think he is going anywhere, for now. Dallas will also roll with the same WR's I am afraid.

So, that led me to Witten. Yes, there is no one better on this roster but it doesn't change the fact that the position can be upgraded. I would like a young, dynamic TE to come in and get significant snaps, someone who spreads the field like a Gronk.

If we had the perfect WR's instead of what we have, then Jason wouldnt be a problem. I am worried that we basically see the same recieving corp and that is no bueno :(

It’s going to be hard upgrade the TE position when every TE we draft high never pans out. We’ve wasted three #2 picks on TEs. Witten was clearly better than all of them.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dez is a 1 dimensional WR. Throw it up high and he can go and get it if he can catch it. But he just can’t get open consistently anymore. Witten is still one of the best blocking TE’s in the league. That and the leadership he brings warrants no hate from anyone.

Witten couldn't block your grandma.

Verdict

Reaction score
It’s going to be hard upgrade the TE position when every TE we draft high never pans out. We’ve wasted three #2 picks on TEs. Witten was clearly better than all of them.

Ten years ago, yes. Today, no way.

Verdict

Reaction score
I guess you don’t watch the football games.

If you think Witten blocks well you are either not paying attention (and are basing your opinion on prior performance -----several years ago) or you have no idea what you are talking about.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Both players still have something to offer, but neither are what they once were. That said, they can still both play a valuable role if used correctly. Dez's 2018 salary is going to be an issue though.

As for Witten, they should start reducing his plays, especially on first and second downs more starting next year. He still has great hands, but the decline in his blocking ability was easily noticeable this year. Swaim was playing pretty well in 2016 before his injury and Hannah made some really great catches on the run this season. If Gathers returns next year, he could definitely be nice addition to the passing game.

I have never understood why fans turn on Cowboys players, especially those who have had great years in the past for Dallas. There is nothing wrong with thinking they have lost a step or even that it is time to move on from them, but you can do that without hating the players.
I agree for the most part that both have declined as far as what they once were, the glaring difference to me is that Witten gives 100% on every play, and I certainly can't say that for Dez as he takes off too many games during the season.......it's easy to tell with Dez whether or not if he's going to be involved in the play or not....he normally exits the huddle early if he's not involved in the play, and it proves to be true more times than not..........If I can see it opposing DC's and defensive players see it too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ten years ago, yes. Today, no way.

We drafted Gavin Escobar in 2013 and he turned into the biggest failure of any TE we drafted in the second round in recent years.

Verdict

Reaction score

Any of the tight ends we have drafted in the past several year (other than Escobar) would be better than Witten if drafted today.

Verdict

Reaction score
We drafted Gavin Escobar in 2013 and he turned into the biggest failure of any TE we drafted in the second round in recent years.

That was a wasted pick. We can agree on that.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If you think Witten blocks well you are either not paying attention (and are basing your opinion on prior performance -----several years ago) or you have no idea what you are talking about.
I think you are sorely wrong on this issue.

Verdict

Reaction score
The previous two were also wasted picks.

I'm not sure who you are referring to. The two guys we drafted in the second rounds have played a lot in the NFL at a high level. Marty B was an idiot but that doesn't mean he didn't have talent. Neither were wasted picks.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not sure who you are referring to. The two guys we drafted in the second rounds have played a lot in the NFL at a high level. Marty B was an idiot but that doesn't mean he didn't have talent. Neither were wasted picks.

I’m referring to Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett. They both played a lot in the NFL but not with the Cowboys. They were disappointments for us and were wasted picks. The other teams they played for have gotten more out of them than we did. They certainly didn’t live up to their second round draft status for us. When you draft a player in the second round you’re expecting a hell of a lot more than we got out of them. We ended up giving Fasano away along with another player for a fourth round draft pick only two years after we drafted him. We desperately needed defensive help and we were wasting picks on TEs to play behind Witten.

Verdict

Reaction score

Let's get Witten a walker and ride him until his 70th birthday. That sounds like a winning plan.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let's get Witten a walker and ride him until his 70th birthday. That sounds like a winning plan.

We’re going to have to ride him until we find someone better. The TEs we drafted high are no longer here. Witten is still a very good player, he’s the least of our worries. It’s our WRs that are concerning.

Verdict

Reaction score
We’re going to have to ride him until we find someone better. The TEs we drafted high are no longer here. Witten is still a very good player, he’s the least of our worries. It’s our WRs that are concerning.

Pretty much any elderly woman can do what he does. He just needs a cape and yell ole' as the defender makes a play against him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Pretty much any elderly woman can do what he does. He just needs a cape and yell ole' as the defender makes a play against him.

You sound like a typical armchair fan. He may know longer be an elite player but he’s still a very good player. None of the TEs we drafted that are no longer here can do what he can do. Those TEs have been bouncing around the league.

Verdict

Reaction score
You sound like a typical armchair fan. He may know longer be an elite player but he’s still a very good player. None of the TEs we drafted that are no longer here can do what he can do. Those TEs have been bouncing around the league.

You mean "no longer"? No. He's not a very good player. He is better than a junior high school player player but he isn't worth a lot as a pro player.

If you don't mind having a tight end who can't block, or run, or reach a first down marker, or is worthy of his contract then yeah, he's perfect.