Dez Bryant admits he did not work hard enough last offseason

RS12

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant was not himself in 2015, and now he's admitting there's more he could have done to avoid the down season.

Bryant acknowledged that he "didn't work hard enough" while holding out for a new contract last offseason, according to Clarence Hill of the Star-Telegram.

The Cowboys ultimately forked over a five-year, $70 million contract last July, but Bryant did little to pay the team back last season. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound pass-catcher fractured his foot in the first game of the season and missed the next fivegames. Upon his return, he was still bothered by his foot — as well as knee and ankle injuries — limiting him to a career-low 31 receptions for 401 yards and three touchdowns before finishing the year on injured reserve.

Bryant, 27, is determined to bounce back and is working much harder this offseason in order to make it happen.

"I believe in work," Bryant said, per the Star-Telegram. "I believe in what we do on the field and in the weight room. That’s how I get my results. If I don’t work hard, it’s going to show up. I felt that way last year. Not that I didn’t work hard, but I didn’t work hard enough. That’s why we have to turn it up a notch. I feel good. I feel real confident going into training camp."

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Dez-Bryant-admits-he-did-not-work-hard-enough-last-offseason-45836794

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When I said it, everyone attacked me. When he mans up to it, everyone is heaping praise on him. I'm glad he takes responsibility but let's see him redeem himself this season.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Clickbait. "f I don’t work hard, it’s going to show up. I felt that way last year. Not that I didn’t work hard, but I didn’t work hard enough. That’s why we have to turn it up a notch. I feel good. I feel real confident going into training camp."

Typical athlete speak.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
When I said it, everyone attacked me. When he mans up to it, everyone is heaping praise on him. I'm glad he takes responsibility but let's see him redeem himself this season.
yeah me too!
At least he knows and admits it, so maybe he is back to form for this season.

I think it would help if our coaches knew how to use him in a more innovative manner.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Pretty sure you said that bc of his holdout he got injured.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Clickbait. "f I don’t work hard, it’s going to show up. I felt that way last year. Not that I didn’t work hard, but I didn’t work hard enough. That’s why we have to turn it up a notch. I feel good. I feel real confident going into training camp."

Typical athlete speak.

Yup its false humility but it never comes out like that in copy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't doubt given the time Dez missed last year that his work outs were not as intense as they normally would be. This is not to say he was not putting in work but it makes a difference working along side teammates and pushing one another.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't doubt given the time Dez missed last year that his work outs were not as intense as they normally would be. This is not to say he was not putting in work but it makes a difference working along side teammates and pushing one another.

I agree with this. Anyone who thinks Bryant didn't work hard to get ready for last season is fooling themselves. He's that type of athlete. However, there's a difference in working hard and working right. There are plenty of athletes who worked hard in the offseason and didn't see the on-field results because they didn't do it right.

slick325

Reaction score

Typical athlete speak.

Jason Witten says it a lot as well. Romo has said something similar too. Wonder if that is Garrett speak or something the leaders of the team say and it spread.

I think it's Garrett's coach talk especially since other mantras he repeats have been repeated by players. Scandrick comes to mind as recently saying something that is a Garrett mantra.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He was not the same player.
Bet he is back to being Dez this year though.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I believe this guy's a pro with a ton of pride and will show up in great shape ready to play. I'm looking forward to a killer running game like '14 that can open things up for Dez.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Sad to hear a guy getting paid all that jack and doesn't put in the effort. Yet here I am still flipping burgers tonight at McCy D's giving 100% effort. What a shame Dez...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo says the he has a schedule in place for he and Dez to work out together before training camp.
This is more for timing and two-minute stuff, but also to assure they are rolling when training camp starts.