Dez Bryant - All Purpose Receiver

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We always get carried away with Dez and his "skills."
Yes, he is good. But he is waaaay overrated. Look, Dez cannot hang with the O'Dell Beckhams and Julio Joneses of the NFL.
He's in a tier below them.
Dez's best skill is jumping and grabbing high passes in the end zone. But being a one-trick pony doesn't get you far in the league.

I would argue that ODB and Jones generally have more help opposite of them than Dez does. They also work these receivers more into the offense and get them open, as opposed to just asking them to be open.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I would argue that ODB and Jones generally have more help opposite of them than Dez does. They also work these receivers more into the offense and get them open, as opposed to just asking them to be open.

True. So what you are saying is that Dez needs more help from the strategists? And my response is that yes, a more imaginative scheme is warranted. On the other hand, it will take more than getting Dez help, it will take Romo adjusting and the coaches also adjusting and, finally, getting that other blue-chipper opposite Dez.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
True. So what you are saying is that Dez needs more help from the strategists? And my response is that yes, a more imaginative scheme is warranted. On the other hand, it will take more than getting Dez help, it will take Romo adjusting and the coaches also adjusting and, finally, getting that other blue-chipper opposite Dez.

I'm not sure how Romo had to adjust. I think the coaching has to adjust and you need to get that other player, but outside of that, I don't see why this would be difficult.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm not sure how Romo had to adjust. I think the coaching has to adjust and you need to get that other player, but outside of that, I don't see why this would be difficult.

Part of the adjusting factor would be to not be so reliant on Witten.

starman22

Reaction score
Dez has been an absolute beast for us since he has been here. Yes, this past season was a major disaster for all involved, but you really do not have to look much further than injuries on offense to see why. I know, I know, injuries are only an excuse for other teams that play us to use, but I think it applies this season for us.

Dez has had his issues, but to say Beckham has not is just laughable. Did you see the Carolina game? That was pathetic behavior by one of the leagues stars.

You are really reaching in this thread to say Dez is a problem after 1 injury plagued year.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Dez has been an absolute beast for us since he has been here. Yes, this past season was a major disaster for all involved, but you really do not have to look much further than injuries on offense to see why. I know, I know, injuries are only an excuse for other teams that play us to use, but I think it applies this season for us.

Dez has had his issues, but to say Beckham has not is just laughable. Did you see the Carolina game? That was pathetic behavior by one of the leagues stars.

You are really reaching in this thread to say Dez is a problem after 1 injury plagued year.

Who said he was a problem?

erod

Reaction score
I think the scheme has a lot to do with Dez's inconsistency on the field. Im sorry im not trying to turn this into a bash Garrett thread, but at the end of the day, his scheme is so out of date it is actually comical to watch Dez line up every single snap on the outside trying to beat his men. Yes hes double covered 90 percent of the time. Its crazy how this offense was not tailored to his skill set when Romo went down. Ive never seen a WR so underutilized in a scheme. Julio, Brown, Green, Hopkins are all used all over the field, yet Dez is on the outside 90 percent of the time, and people rag on him for not producing? Give me a break

No, that's not it.

Dez is a creation of Romo like so many others. He completely relies on Romo to handle the hard part of his job. When Romo isn't there, Dez is a lost puppy.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
No, that's not it.

Dez is a creation of Romo like so many others. He completely relies on Romo to handle the hard part of his job. When Romo isn't there, Dez is a lost puppy.

A lot of people don't realize how much Romo elevates players here. They know about the runts like Laurent Robinson, but he has the same effect on players like Dez as well. I would say Dez is probably the third best wide receiver Romo has ever had. Going Owens, Glenn, Bryant.

I really think Glenn is terribly underrated, but also proof of what romo can do when he has two dynamic receivers, which he really hasn't consistently had.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Romo is reliant on Witten because he gets open.

And that might be part of our predictability and why defenses play us oh, so well.
As we will start noticing, an aging Witten will not be perpetually open and then what? Predictability has been our achilles' heel and our cumulative 8-8 profile of recent years should tell us something. Not that the coaches are listening, blokes.

phildadon86

Reaction score
No, that's not it.

So why did Kitna make Dez look so good?

conner01

Reaction score
I think the scheme has a lot to do with Dez's inconsistency on the field. Im sorry im not trying to turn this into a bash Garrett thread, but at the end of the day, his scheme is so out of date it is actually comical to watch Dez line up every single snap on the outside trying to beat his men. Yes hes double covered 90 percent of the time. Its crazy how this offense was not tailored to his skill set when Romo went down. Ive never seen a WR so underutilized in a scheme. Julio, Brown, Green, Hopkins are all used all over the field, yet Dez is on the outside 90 percent of the time, and people rag on him for not producing? Give me a break

I think his lack of production had more to do with the fact he wasn't playing due to injury than anything else, but that's just me

Frozen700

Reaction score
Which is why in my opinion, he's no longer a top 5 WR like many have been led to believe. Including myself.

IMO he's just a good WR, with the ability to make plays in the red zone.

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Romo makes Dez better. Dez would look good with a lot of quarterbacks, just none of the options we had as backups this season.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Dez is a top 2 WR in the Redzone.

Dez outside of the redzone is one of the Top 10 WRs -- probably in the 5-7 range.

Put it altogether and you are right on-top of the fence of Top 5.

No shame in that.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Dez is a very good receiver and this past season is probably a career outlier. It would be a big help if the Cowboys had another WR that pushed Dez by providing a modicum of competition. Terrance Williams is definitely not that guy.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
His career will end badly. He won't age well as his great physical ability declines and he's forced to rely on the technique he's never made a concerted effort to develop. Not to mention he has to read Pop Tart directions in the morning.

I would love to get rid of him as soon as possible considering his contract.

Jesus. Have you been checked lately for concussions?