Dez Bryant - All Purpose Receiver

Frozen700

Reaction score

You laughing but he's never dominated consistently like AB, Julio, Marshall, Hopkins, OBD ect

He's had his handful of games, but that's it.

He's still a really good WR, and I'm still a fan, bbut I won't fool myself

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dez of 2015 was a no purpose receiver. He underperformed then cried and made excuses. The Cowboys paid too much money for that BS.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Jesus. Have you been checked lately for concussions?

While he's not completely off base, I'm just glad he's not saying crazy things anymore like Dez is better than randy moss ever was at jump balls, or making plays on the ball.

I know he wishes he could have that comment back.

Dez is nowhere near elite as guys Like that

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
You laughing but he's never dominated consistently like AB, Julio, Marshall, Hopkins, OBD ect

He's never been asked to though.

I'm not going to take away from the other guys, but those guys aren't consistently ran into the teeth of a double team on a 9 route nearly every play.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You're suffering from cowboys fan syndrome. We had a bad season and now nobody on the team is as good as you thought they were before. And yet if we were to ask fans of all other 31 teams they would all say dez is top 5.

Frozen700

Reaction score
You're suffering from cowboys fan syndrome. We had a bad season and now nobody on the team is as good as you thought they were before. And yet if we were to ask fans of all other 31 teams they would all say dez is top 5.

Dez is not top 5. Stop it. Just stop

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I often see Dez Bryant as an all purpose receiver. He excels especially in the end zone and yards after the catch, but he isn't really a great route runner even now, he doesn't consistently get open, and though he has great hands, he isn't a consistent catcher when we really need him to be.

I do think we overpaid for him, and I think the market will (though potentially slowly) reflect that.

I know he was hurt this year, and I don't really hold that against him. I do think he needs to mature as a player and leader on this team, and I do think he needs to work on his craft more.

Ultimately, he will need to take this team as his own when Romo retires. I'd like to see us get a big armed QB who can best take advantage of his strengths, but he needs to grow into not just an all purpose receiver, but well rounded receiver.

I do think he needs a more consistent partner across from him. If you look at most of the highly productive receivers in the NFL, they aren't doing it alone. Even Megatron has felt the hand of time, but even he couldn't carry his team on his own.

You look at Julio Jones and he had Roddie White. When White fell off, that severely impacted Matt Ryan's success.

Terrance Williams holds this offense back really badly. He had 3 touchdowns all year stepping into the number 1 role. THREE touchdowns... I would say that Williams is a good #3, but a subpar #2. I would rather have Beasley in the #3 role than Williams, and I would rather have Butler out there from time to time than Williams. At least to see what he can do with talent around him.

If you don't have an amazing number 2, you need to have a very good #2 and a very good #3.

I think we can work with what we have with Beasley as our third, but we need a major upgrade at #2 to help Bryant out here. I don't think we have time to build a rookie in the Romo era, I think we need to go out there and get a veteran who can have an immediate impact, day one. That being said, I would like to see someone cheap and affordable, and that is what receivers on their rookie contracts can do.

Even when you look at 2013 and 2014, Williams would ghost in the second half of the year.

I'm thinking of our players at their best, not just in this injury filled year. Beasley is a great player, but he isn't a #2 receiver, at least not yet. He should be featured more in our offense though. Witten is just slow. I love Witten, but he doesn't help Romo in the first few seconds of the play, and he doesn't stretch the defense like many of today's tight ends do. Gronkowski nearly single handily will present offense for the Patriots as a major mismatch.

Let me start by saying we could use an upgrade at WR. Im not sold on twill, think someone like jerry rice needs to mentor Dez on route running, and get rid of street. In regards to Twill, to be fair the last 4 games of the 2014 season ( including playoffs), he did show up. 2-52yds 2 tds, 3-68 yds, 3-92yds 2 tds, 1-38 yds 1 td. I dont think we should extend him, receivers like twill or better are common.

I would like a herman moore/ perriman, issaac bruce/ holt, jerry rice/owens, Chris Carter/Moss, Marvin Harris/Wayne combo.

To a lesser degree i like these combos too: antonio brown/Bryant, Demayrus Thomas/ Sanders, Calvin Johnson/Tate, and Odell Beckham/Cruz- when he gets back.

Last edited:

perrykemp

Reaction score
Dez is not top 5. Stop it. Just stop

He was in 2014. In 2015 he was hurt.

Yes, there are a lot of top notch WRs in the league and new ones appearing all the time -- having said I disagree anyone who says Dez isn't anywhere in the neighborhood of Top 5 -- you post almost hints that you actually think it's a joke that Dez could be considered top 5....

Frozen700

Reaction score
He was in 2014. In 2015 he was hurt.

Yes, there are a lot of top notch WRs in the league and new ones appearing all the time -- having said I disagree anyone who says Dez isn't anywhere in the neighborhood of Top 5 -- you post almost hints that you actually think it's a joke that Dez could be considered top 5....

No, but some say it as if it's a matter of fact that he's top 5. He fell out of that category.

Still a good WR. Just has a lot to prove now.

starman22

Reaction score
Who said he was a problem?

Sorry Galian, I didn't reply to any post so I guess you thought I was replying to the OP.

No, just the general tone of the thread has went to negative (as usual) and some seem to think that Dez is one of the problems on this team. I was just pointing out that before this year he has been one of the very top players at his position.

If he is only good in the red zone, how bad he managed to track up all those yards?

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's a good WR. Relax. He's not top 5. There are WR's who play the position better than him

You going off of 1 year. And yet just last year every analyst was going Dez, Brown 1A 1B. Yep in just 1 year dez dropped from 1a/b out of the top 5 completely and Julio Jones jumped from nobodies top 5 into being a top 3 wr. Lol talk about living in the moment

Frozen700

Reaction score
You going off of 1 year. And yet just last year every analyst was going Dez, Brown 1A 1B. Yep in just 1 year dez dropped from 1a/b out of the top 5 completely and Julio Jones jumped from nobodies top 5 into being a top 3 wr. Lol talk about living in the moment

Julio nobodies top 5???? Come on man

StylisticS

Reaction score
Wish we never re~signed him. He drops too many passes .

Dez Bryant drop percentage.
2015 6.9%
2014 3.7%
2013 3.8%
2012 6.5%
2011 1.9%
2010 2.8%

Outside of 2015 and 2012, he has not been this receiver that drops too many passes type of receiver. People are too much living in the now.

Last year, this was most people's top 5.
AB
Megatron
Dez
DT
AJ

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Ultimately, he will need to take this team as his own when Romo retires. I'd like to see us get a big armed QB who can best take advantage of his strengths, but he needs to grow into not just an all purpose receiver, but well rounded receiver..

And if Dez is the focal point, the misery goes on for another half dozen years. He doesn't have the leadership ability to be Natman for this team. He may not even he Robin to someone else who can be the focal point.

Your comment about his routes indicates he has a ceiling that is not top of the line. Because routes and hands are what separates the top guys from the rest. He has the hands but his routes are second tier, at best.

He can make fantastic plays, but needs a calming leader to do so. He doesn't have the self discipline to be elite. But there are those who see a few catches a year and believe he has arrived. When he is the leader Michael Irvin was, then he has arrived.

I don't think he has the nuggs to get there, personally.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
And if Dez is the focal point, the misery goes on for another half dozen years. He doesn't have the leadership ability to be Natman for this team. He may not even he Robin to someone else who can be the focal point.

Your comment about his routes indicates he has a ceiling that is not top of the line. Because routes and hands are what separates the top guys from the rest. He has the hands but his routes are second tier, at best.

He can make fantastic plays, but needs a calming leader to do so. He doesn't have the self discipline to be elite. But there are those who see a few catches a year and believe he has arrived. When he is the leader Michael Irvin was, then he has arrived.

I don't think he has the nuggs to get there, personally.

At 27 years old, you think something would have triggered in him...

Verdict

Reaction score
Dez has top 5 athletic ability, and physicality, but he isn't top 5 in route running, leadership, stability, speed, dedication to his craft, or common sense. Could the coaches do more to get him open? Sure and they definitely should! But the coaches' failure to do what they can to get him open doesn't excuse Dez' refusal to fix the deficiencies that keep him from being truly elite. His mindset of "what I already do is good enough" is what is keeping him from being great.

Witten had Parcells mashing his nuts about working on the weak points in his game and he responded by becoming one of the best tight ends of all time. Dez should take a page out of that playbook, but I think the smart money is betting that he won't.