News: Dez Bryant confirms desire to play in 2021 NFL season

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dez Bryant has caught 6 passes since 2017. Some dudes, apparently including some of his fans, just never know when it's over.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It used to be sad, bordering on pathetic.

Now it is just disgusting bordering on grotesque.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dez Bryant has caught 6 passes since 2017. Some dudes just never know when it's over.

I think he'd be wise to try a CFL or Japanese X-League team to show what he can do. I hear the CFL is starting on August 5. Sometimes, it works best to play at a lower level to show what he can do there to then earn a tryout at a higher level. Euro football players do that frequently. When they reach the end of the line or hit a career slump, they'll play for a lower level team. For example, they might play for a while for Chelsea, and then decide to go play for a small team like Plymouth FC in Football League One. It gives the player a chance to show if he still can play or not. It'd be a wise move for Dez.

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I think he will be cherry-picking a playoff team just like last year. He can't play a whole season so he will wait until Thanksgiving and sign with some playoff-looking team needing a WR.

I don't hold it against him. I am sure the dream still lives within him.

If he just wants to play for the love of the game, he should join the same league as Terrance Williams and just play. People would watch.

FaSho

Reaction score
He said he wouldn't return to Baltimore even if they wanted him to, and they were the only team that wanted him. Probably not the best move lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think he will be cherry-picking a playoff team just like last year. He can't play a whole season so he will wait until Thanksgiving and sign with some playoff-looking team needing a WR.

I don't hold it against him. I am sure the dream still lives within him.

If he just wants to play for the love of the game, he should join the same league as Terrance Williams and just play. People would watch.

That's why I say he should play for a CFL team. Their seasons usually end by before US Thanksgiving, and allows him to show what he can still do.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think he'd be wise to try a CFL or Japanese X-League team to show what he can do. I hear the CFL is starting on August 5. Sometimes, it works best to play at a lower level to show what he can do there to then earn a tryout at a higher level. Euro football players do that frequently. When they reach the end of the line or hit a career slump, they'll play for a lower level team. For example, they might play for a while for Chelsea, and then decide to go play for a small team like Plymouth FC in Football League One. It gives the player a chance to show if he still can play or not. It'd be a wise move for Dez.

Dez at 32 and counting isn't going to some lesser league and wowing NFL teams.

People got excited when the Ravens signed him last year. Some went so far as to warn us when he lights it up there, he barely played and caught a few token passes.

It's over.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Dez needs to workout for Russ Meyer in Jacksonville and compete against Tebow for that TE spot. Would be very entertaining.

I’m guessing Dez and Tebow would become friends too.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It's hard to walk away from anything you love doing, especially when you've been doing it at a high level for a while. Dez's career went downhill after the Lisfranc surgery which seemed to take away that extra explosivness. Tough injury to come back from for those skill players. I do think he can still play in this league as a 4th or 5th receiver or hybrid TE, but think most teams rather go another direction.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dez at 32 and counting isn't going to some lesser league and wowing NFL teams.

People got excited when the Ravens signed him last year. Some went so far as to warn us when he lights it up there, he barely played and caught a few token passes.

It's over.

My argument is more that, if he wants to prolong his playing career, he should look at options in Canada. Additionally, it may give him a way to refine his game given his age. If he does that and finds a way to refine his game, he may be able to work his way back to the NFL.

SSoup

Reaction score
It's sad that he can't let himself move on.

He wasn't a quality route runner, so I know he probably has no good position coach career waiting for him (and probably doesn't have the temperament or the reliability for that anyway if we're being real).

Honestly, though, I bet he had some great workout habits and could have a very nice niche for himself when it comes to training athletes (on the workout side of things, not the technician stuff that actual route-runners would be able to teach), and there'd be no shortage of young prospects who grew up watching his highlights and playing with him in Madden. A rich college program would probably love to give him a cushy gig where all he does is workout with their skill position guys and go on the road to help recruit star-struck kids who grew up idolizing him during his prime.