Dez Bryant -Demaryius Thomas Debate

Aikbach

Reaction score
All things considered first round receivers have a dubious track record dating back to the late 90s:

1997: Ike Hilliard, Reidel Anthony, Rae Curruth.

Results: One average NFL complimentary player, one ex pro and one murderer.

1998: Kevin Dyson, Randy Moss, Marcus Nash.

Results: Dyson made a highlight reel for failing to break a tackle and taking a lateral in a playoff game before disappearing.

Moss became a rookie phenom and proverbial one that got away for 20 NFL teams despite his tempermental antics that have seen him be traded twice.

Marcus Nash made Denver realize it was Peyton Manning they needed and not his collegiate receiver.

1999: Torry Holt, David Boston, Troy Edwards.

Torry Holt was a stud from day one, David Boston a dud, Troy Edwards a thug.

2000: Peter Warrick, Plaxico Burress, Travis Taylor, Sylvester Morris, RJ Soward.

Results: This was the year where it was fashionable to throw away picks in the first round and after looking at this crop can't help but empathize why Jerry Jones eyed Joey Galloway instead.

Only Burress would accomplish anything before joining Warrick in the criminal domain.

2001: David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardener, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne.

Results: Wayne saved this crop from eclipsing the futility of the 2000 class.

2002: Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie, Jvon Walker.

Results: Roll playing and mediocrity galore, Stallworth faces manslaughter charges at present.

2003: Charles Rodgers, Andre Johnson, Bryant Johnson.

Results: Beauty and the beasts.

2004: Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Michael Jenkins, Rashaun Woods.

Results: Based on Fitzgerald alone the class was stellar but since three picks have been pro bowl caliber starters it elevates the class to best of the last decade.

Only Woods failed to bring it, so to speak, disconcertingly he was an Oklahoma State product.

2005: Braylon Edwards, Mike Williams, Matt Jones, Mark Clayton, Roddy White.

Results: In stark contrast to the year before this was a year of great busts, only White has performed.

2006: Santonio Holmes.

Results: One super bowl ring, one substance abuse suspension and one trade, all from the same player.

2007: Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn Jr., Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Anthony Gonzalez.

Results: One stud, two contributors and two giant turkeys.

2008: None.

2009: Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt.

Results: With this many receivers taken one was bound to hit, one year out this appears to be a solid draft class.

2010: Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant.

Results: Wait and see.

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
montgod;3386370 said:
Actually I have heard Thomas being compared to RW11.... hmmm...

Bey Bey has more speed, but yeah they are pretty similar.

RS12

Reaction score
Before they have even played one down, we already have figured out what they will be? Think I'll wait a while.

hammer1

Reaction score
Who will have the better career?

I think I'll need to wait until after the first game of their respective rookie seasons...before I have enough info to decide who's going to have the best career.

Gee freakin whiz. :bang3:

;)

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
hammer1;3386718 said:
Who will have the better career?

I think I'll need to wait until after the first game of their respective rookie seasons...before I have enough info to decide who's going to have the best career.

Gee freakin whiz. :bang3:

;)

For this thread/topic at hand what does happen is not the point. Bryant was a better selection. He's a better pro prospect. That what is being argued here.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Someone should keep that link handy so they can return to that board in the next year or so and see how much the feeling has changed, if any, at that points.

Thomas82

Reaction score
masomenos;3386334 said:
Thomas was rated as an early 2nd round pick by the Cowboys. He's got talent, there's no doubting that, but he's just not on the same level as Dez.

Not only that, at Georgia Tech he was in an offense that didn't do a whole lot of passing and from what I hear, he still has a lot to learn about playing receiver.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Thomas82;3387210 said:
Not only that, at Georgia Tech he was in an offense that didn't do a whole lot of passing and from what I hear, he still has a lot to learn about playing receiver.

That's a good point. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bronco's 3rd round pick, Eric Decker, was more game ready than Thomas.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3386356 said:
Sounds like you were listening to Michael Irvin.

Yes Michael Irvin and Dez Bryants "game" are very much the same. They both have the rare gift of locating the ball and tracking it down then snatching it out of the air like patriot on a scud.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;3387215 said:
Yes Michael Irvin and Dez Bryants "game" are very much the same. They both have the rare gift of locating the ball and tracking it down then snatching it out of the air like patriot on a scud.

More like a C-RAM on anything.

[youtube]0v2_zpifIm0[/youtube]

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
I was waiting on Denver to draft Bryant. Once they drafted 'mary, I was so glad. I knew we had a legitimate shot.

It won't be a debate after this year.

Reaction score
I still can't believe they took Thomas over Bryant though... Don't get me wrong I think Thomas will have a good career but Bryant will be a BEAST.