News: Dez Bryant files counter-suit against former financial advisor

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has struck back against former key members of his inner circle, filing a hard-hitting lawsuit in district court in response to one filed against him. In the counterclaim filed against his former trusted adviser Royce West, Bryant alleges that West used Bryant's celebrity to "improperly line his own pockets and those of his business associates."

Bryant alleges that West breached his fiduciary duty, exhibited gross negligence and performed fraud, among other infractions. The accusations paint a picture of West and his associate David Wells, a former bail bondsman who served as a Bryant confidante, as essentially taking advantage of Bryant and stealing his money. Bryant had given Wells Power of Attorney, thanks to advice from West.

According to claims made in the lawsuit obtained by NFL.com, Wells created and used Dez Enterprises to attract marketing deals using Bryant's name and likeness -- sometimes without Bryant knowing.

"Then, West would instruct endorsement companies and others to make payments for any endorsement agreements to Wells, not Bryant. Many of these payments stopped at Wells and/or West, but never reached Bryant," the lawsuit states. Bryant eventually terminated the Power of Attorney, though Wells and West refused to return all company documents to Bryant, claiming they did not have records of any of them. West was the director of the company.

Read the rest: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000675464/article/dez-bryant-sues-his-former-financial-adviser

Sydla

Reaction score
Wells/West owe him $500,000. Bryant owes him $60K for damages.

Wells, cut a check to Bryant for $440K, another $30K in interest, and call it a night.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wells/West owe him $500,000. Bryant owes him $60K for damages.

Wells, cut a check to Bryant for $440K, another $30K in interest, and call it a night.

Only if it really works that way....too many snakes in the grass out there waiting to bite an unassuming victim.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's the other shoe everybody with a lick of sense knew would eventually drop.

It wouldn't be a real offseason without some Dez Bryant personal drama.

Sydla

Reaction score
Only if it really works that way....too many snakes in the grass out there waiting to bite an unassuming victim.

Well Bryant is going to then have to cut like a $50K check to his attorneys. LOL.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More money more problems.

320x240.jpg

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny how this thread doesn't get near the traction as the lawsuit against Dez.

Lawsuit against Dez = Bad Dez/Pimple on the *** of the team/Can't wait to cut him

Countersuit by Dez = *Yawn*

~runs out of thread~

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here's the other shoe everybody with a lick of sense knew would eventually drop.

It wouldn't be a real offseason without some Dez Bryant personal drama.

Seriously? Well if that's the case I guess same applies for Romo. Between him getting surgeries every offseason and suing the NFL for the last couple years.

Sydla

Reaction score

Lawsuit against Dez = Bad Dez/Pimple on the *** of the team/Can't wait to cut him

~runs out of thread~

Because I think the whole thing was beat to death in the other thread. The notion that West Wells may have ripped him off was brought up and discussed quite a bit in that thread as well. In fact, I doubt anyone is really surprised Bryant counter sued.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously? Well if that's the case I guess same applies for Romo. Between him getting surgeries every offseason and suing the NFL for the last couple years.

Not necessarily knocking Dez here. For the most part, he's stayed clean as an NFL player, worked hard to overcome some huge liabilities in his home life.

But there's no denying that every offseason there's some drama or other in his personal life following him around. Whether it's a friend with low-hanging pants, owing $250k to a local jeweler and getting sued for it, drama with his mother and siblings, the leaked existence of a Walmart video that apparently didn't exist at all, the dust-up over the move to Roc Nation, the contract dispute, or a landlord fight and countersuit. It's pretty much like clockwork with Dez. The dude has a lot of drama in his personal life.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

~runs out of thread~

In fairness, a lot of the activity in that previous thread was driven by CowboyRoy, who seems to be on a long and well-deserved summer vacation without a computer.

knightrider94

Reaction score
Not necessarily knocking Dez here. For the most part, he's stayed clean as an NFL player, worked hard to overcome some huge liabilities in his home life.

But there's no denying that every offseason there's some drama or other in his personal life following him around. Whether it's a friend with low-hanging pants, owing $250k to a local jeweler and getting sued for it, drama with his mother and siblings, the leaked existence of a Walmart video that apparently didn't exist at all, the dust-up over the move to Roc Nation, the contract dispute, or a landlord fight and countersuit. It's pretty much like clockwork with Dez. The dude has a lot of drama in his personal life.

I think one could argue that many of the things you listed are tied to Wells/West.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Because I think the whole thing was beat to death in the other thread. The notion that West Wells may have ripped him off was brought up and discussed quite a bit in that thread as well. In fact, I doubt anyone is really surprised Bryant counter sued.

I thought the whole condition of the house thing was a big middle finger to West.....these problems run real deep and when the people closet to you betray you it hurts the most because they have the most ammo and know what issues to press....

it would be best for all parties to sit in a room for a weekend and work out a private deal but some of that means admitting wrong doing and when emotions get involved it can get real ugly....Dez needs to let his new people to handle this case but he also needs to take a more personal hand in his finances or get ready to get ripped off again...no one is gong to be honest with that much money if they think no one is looking