DEz Bryant has been a let down

Reaction score
Lol .....this is completely out of hand now. Our fan base is hilarious. Of all the things or players to complain about, its like every offseason we choose to complain about the few BRIGHT SPOTS that we do have. Its like Ware didn't do this, or romo didn't do that. Or Dez isn't putting up moss or megatron numbers his first few years, so he must be a super JAG! Lmao

Reaction score
perrykemp;4364912 said:
I am disappointed in myself in that I thought Dez Bryant would be a Calvin Johnson type of player this year. Obviously was wrong.

I think Dez can become a good to very good WR in the NFL. Having said that, I've lowered my expectations of him being a Megatron type talent.

Dez is a fantastic athlete -- but Calvin Johnson is quite possibly (quite probably) the best pure athlete that has ever played the WR position.

How is it wrong? It's been 2 freaking years and he's already shown immense improvement with his route running. No reason he can't be as good as CJ.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Drive-by trolling. So many innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Risen Star;4364864 said:
Different era, different offenses.

So you are okay with Irvin missing 16 games during his first 3 seasons? That has nothing to do with the era.

And even if you take era into account, that doesn't account for Irvin's decline in receptions in each of his first 3 seasons. The talent around him got better, but his receptions went from 32, to 26 and then to 20. Those 20 receptions came with Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman as his teammates. And those 32 receptions came with Herschel Walker being one of the best running backs during that season. He had some help no offense.

All of this just points to show that you have to be patient and let players develop. Bryant is going to get a full off season full of work and hopefully he also gets a full training camp and pre-season to hone his craft.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboys#1;4364815 said:
Micheal irvin>>>>>>>all 88's

Dez has more yards and TD's after his first 2 seasons than Irvin had in his first 3 seasons.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
The OP has a point and wanted to start a thread on this...........

Dez was a dissapointment in 2011 as I see it. This has nothing to do with numbers or comparisons to this era or other players.

Dez showed me a good bit of "special" in 2010. He looked the part of an elite WR who was just scratching the surface.

I saw very little "special" in 2011. The Giants matchups stand out to me above all others. In 2010 he killed them in both games. Very quite for he most part in those 2011 matchups. I was counting on him being a difference makers in those games.

I believe we saw a glimse of what should have been all year, in week one. I felt coming into 2011 that Miles and Dez would be the #1 strength of the team. They would fuel the offense.

We need a lot of things to improve in 2012, but those two staying healthy and playing as an elite duo is right at the top of the list.

joseephuss

Reaction score
sonnyboy;4365040 said:

Dez was a dissapointment in 2011 as I see it. This has nothing to do with numbers or comparisons to this era or other players.

Dez showed me a good bit of "special" in 2010. He looked the part of an elite WR who was just scratching the surface.

I saw very little "special" in 2011. The Giants matchups stand out to me above all others. In 2010 he killed them in both games. Very quite for he most part in those 2011 matchups. I was counting on him being a difference makers in those games.

I believe we saw a glimse of what should have been all year, in week one. I felt coming into 2011 that Miles and Dez would be the #1 strength of the team. They would fuel the offense.

We need a lot of things to improve in 2012, but those two staying healthy and playing as an elite duo is right at the top of the list.

Dez can improve. There is room for improvement from everyone. It is just dumb to compare Irvin to Bryant. One had a full career and one is just starting out. And so far Bryant start to his career is better than Irvin's start.

And I bet most people who find Bryant to be such a huge disappointment are ones that had anointed him a Hall of Famer before the season started. They set the bar so high that they can only see disappointment. I saw growth in the guy as the season progressed and from last year. I see more room for growth in the future. There are no guarantees that he will get better, but I see the potential.

Mash

Reaction score
If Dez is a disappointment....then so is Felix....Jenkins...Spencer...Spears....

I think we should create a thread for each one of those :)

Reaction score
sonnyboy;4365040 said:

Yeah having 9 TD's and nearly 1,000 recieving yards is so dissapointing. :rolleyes:

RS12

Reaction score
He has been about what I expected both on and off the field.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Hostile;4364835 said:
Michael Irvin's first 3 seasons.

32 games, 78 receptions, 12 TDs, 1445 yards.

Dez Bryant's first 2 seasons.

27 games, 108 receptions, 15 TDs, 1489 yards.

LOL

Zing!!!!

Sic em, Hostile!

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Hostile;4364885 said:
That isn't the thread topic. It is a good topic though if you want to create a new thread for it.

I am sure this is even further off topic, but wasnt his post close enough to the topic? He was merely sharing how he thought Dez should be judged. Seems pretty topical... but I digress.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4365028 said:
How is it wrong? It's been 2 freaking years and he's already shown immense improvement with his route running. No reason he can't be as good as CJ.

Megatron is 6'5" and 235 lbs. and runs a 4.35 forty. Dez has great measurables.... But he isn't even in the same ballpark as Calvin physically.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
perrykemp;4365138 said:
Megatron is 6"5' and 235 and runs a 4.35 forty. Dez has great measurables.... But he isn't even in the same ballpark as Calvin physically.

this is too hard to accept

Eskimo

Reaction score
op124;4364858 said:
Dez is doing this in the passing era. No comparison imo. Compare Dez to his counterparts not Michael Irvin.

Victor Cruz

19 games 82 receptions 1,536 yards 9 TD

Mike Williams

32 games 130 receptions 1,735 yards 14 TD

Hakeem Nicks (first 2 seasons)

27 games 126 reception 1842 yards 17 TD

Jeremy Maclin (first 2 seasons)

31 games 126 reception 1737 yards 14 TD

Mike Wallace (first 2 seasons)

32 games 99 receptions 2013 yards 16 TD

According to your own numbers Dez's production is amongst the leaders from WRs drafted over the last 3 years.

Dez has a ways to grow as a WR as he is very unpolished and at about the level of a polished college senior now. It is up to this organization to put the conditions in place to allow him to reach his potential. He could easily derail and it is important that he becomes a top 5 WR. I still think this is a very plausible outcome for his career.

ANTHONYSCOTT

Reaction score
Yeah not sure how or why the hate on Dez? This kid has produced during his limited time with the boys. Plenty of other players I can think of to hate on...

Modus

Reaction score
If you want to rail at Dez, do it under two seasons of not being injury riddled.

I believe that if he wasn't hurt the last half of his rookie campaign, he would have made the Pro Bowl. Put the ball in his hands and he makes plays.

Personally, I could settle on 1,000 yards give/take and 10TD's give/take a season. He's much better than that but if that's what we get, I won't complain when he gets a similar extension to what Austin got.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
This team clearly has some issues but WR isnt one of them. I wonder how much better these guys would be with a running game and offensive line.

Teams were doubling him most of the season. That is why losing Murray hurt so much, he was forcing teams to have to take some chances with their safeties which was opening up the whole offense.