Dez Bryant Is Growing Up Before Our Eyes

Eskimo

Reaction score
StarBoyz83;4847996 said:
Meeeh. Nit gonna sit here and list 30 people better plus I bet ill get close to 30. Nobody on thus team is a top 10 anything except ware and hes spotty

So Witten isn't a top 10 TE?

Sean Lee isn't a top 10 MLB/ILB?

Romo has started to show the last couple of weeks that he is still a top 10 QB but I am very worried that either it will not last much longer with this OL he plays behind or that by the time a contending team is put behind him he will no longer be a great QB. I do think Romo has slipped and last year you could make the argument that he was the 4th best in the league behind Rodgers, Brees and Brady. This year others have played better than him incluidng Ben, Matt Ryan, Flacco.

Even though he hasn't played a full season you could make the argument Bruce Carter is a top 10 MLB/ILB.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Eskimo;4848003 said:
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson

Wes Welker
Hakeem Nicks
Victor Cruz
Desean Jackson
Brandon Marshall
Gregg Jennings
Jordy Nelson
Vincent jackson
Torrey Smith
Roddy White
Julio Jones

Mike Wallace
Antonio Brown
Demaryius Thomas
Dwayne Bowe
AJ Green
Reggie Wayne

Marques Colston
Anquan Boldin
Steve Smith (Carolina)
Brandon Lloyd

Those are the guys who I think should be in the conversation but I'm not sure if I've left out anyone important but the list contains 24 players. Some of them definitely are better than Dez and Miles and some are possibly better. Some also may have been better but no longer are presently.

ill give ya the ones in bold....the others ....some may be on same level , but none are clearly better.....only way we could ever be sure is if the O line could protect long enough for Romo to get them downfield more often

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Eskimo;4848023 said:
So Witten isn't a top 10 TE?

Sean Lee isn't a top 10 MLB/ILB?

Romo has started to show the last couple of weeks that he is still a top 10 QB but I am very worried that either it will not last much longer with this OL he plays behind or that by the time a contending team is put behind him he will no longer be a great QB. I do think Romo has slipped and last year you could make the argument that he was the 4th best in the league behind Rodgers, Brees and Brady. This year others have played better than him incluidng Ben, Matt Ryan, Flacco.

Even though he hasn't played a full season you could make the argument Bruce Carter is a top 10 MLB/ILB.

I would add..Ratliff and possibly Bailey to the list as well

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Passer Ratings on targets to these receivers
(more than 10 yards downfield)
Including today's game...

Bryant 19 of 36 462 yds 2 td 1 int 105.1
Austin 18 of 38 420 yds 3 td 3 int 81.0
Ogletree 7 of 21 182 yds 2 td 3 int 58.1

popp1234

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4847398 said:
Dez Bryant has become quite the scape goat in Dallas with the Cowboys. At times he does deserve criticism. He's not a perfect football player or person, but who is? Some people have acted like he's a horrible player when that hasn't been the case. He had a phenomal rookie season. In 12 games he had 45 catches for 561 receiving yards and 8 total touchdowns. The next year he had 63 catches for 928 yards and 9 touchdowns. Let's not forget he missed all of his senior season in college due to suspension.

Listen you can say whatever you want about his route running needing to get better which it does, but the bottomline is this guy is having a spectacular season. Today he had the game of his life. 12 catches for 145 yards and a touchdown. On the season in 10 games he has 57 catches, 735 receiving yards, and four touchdowns. Yeah I know he needs to get in the end zone more, but that's a team problem. In his first two seasons in the NFL Dez only had one game of having 100 recieving yards or more. This season he already has three. This guy has special talent. He can be the best receiver in the league or at the very least in the discussion. Now you're starting to see him be more and more consistent every week and it's great to see because they gave him #88 for a reason. I wouldn't say Dez is an elite receiver just yet, but he's on the verge. I'm so happy this guy is on this football team.

Well, what do ya know. Not another "Baghdad Bob" post? You are growing up, too.

popp1234

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4848060 said:
Guess I am since you're the second person to say that in this thread.

I only say it 'cause I like you. ;)

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Eskimo;4848003 said:
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Calvin Johnson
Wes Welker
Hakeem Nicks
Victor Cruz
Desean Jackson
Brandon Marshall
Gregg Jennings
Jordy Nelson
Vincent jackson
Torrey Smith
Roddy White
Julio Jones
Mike Wallace
Antonio Brown
Demaryius Thomas
Dwayne Bowe
AJ Green
Reggie Wayne
Marques Colston
Anquan Boldin
Steve Smith (Carolina)
Brandon Lloyd

Those are the guys who I think should be in the conversation but I'm not sure if I've left out anyone important but the list contains 24 players. Some of them definitely are better than Dez and Miles and some are possibly better. Some also may have been better but no longer are presently.

You lose all credibility once you listed DJax. Bottom three aren't in Bryant's league either. Bryant is top 20, by next year there won't be a half dozen better.

FiveRings

Reaction score
I would agree with that notion but only these past few weeks, looking at the rookie phenomenon we saw in year one then watching from about week one to week 8 there was some serious regression.

The best thing for Dez right now is just to play and set everything else aside, hopefully after a big game today he'll get a little confidence rolling into Thursday.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Id trade both dez and austin for aj green he was better than Them both last year already his rookie year. I hope when it comes time to get dez the huge money dallas isnt dumb enough to be the ones who do it

perrykemp

Reaction score
Speaking of WRs, Justin Blackmon had an eye popping game today -- 7 catches for 236 yards and 1 TD.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Awakened;4847722 said:
You're probably right, but it was the phrase "growing up" that spurred my comment. I admit that I don't believe in separating who a person is from their potential as a player. Michael Irvin might have been a crazy *** cocaine using adulterer, but I'll guarantee you he'd never hit his mom. A dude that does that is messed up at the core. Outside of some major psychological/ spiritual turn around, the trajectory of that guy's life as a person and player won't end well. That's my opinion, and I'm sorry if it sounds judgmental. It's just the way I believe.

He wouldn't hit his mom, but he would stab a team mate in the chest with a pair of barber scissors.

So he's got that going for him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4848073 said:
You lose all credibility once you listed DJax. Bottom three aren't in Bryant's league either. Bryant is top 20, by next year there won't be a half dozen better.

I didn't say he was better but he should be included in the conversation. He has had a 1000 yard receiving season and he has made the Pro Bowl which are two things Dez has yet to accomplish. He Can also return kicks without getting injured.

Personally I'd take Dez over DJax but he does belong in the conversation as perhaps the second best deep threat in the game. His first two years in the league he clearly outproduced Dez with 912 and 1156 receiving yards. Last season was a down year with the contract situation but he still almost put up 1000 yards. He does have some limitations in his unwillingness to catch a contested pass over the middle and the limited repertoire of routes he will run but he is still a very dangerous player who has to be accounted for with help over the top on almost every down he plays.

The other thing you have to consider is whether he makes less bonehead plays then Dez. My understanding is Dez has cost us about 3 INTs this year from running the wrong route and then there was his bonehead punt return against the Giants that cost us a fumble against the Giants.

Dez has come a long way but he is far from a finished product on the field. Romo has apparently said that his ability to get the ball out quickly is hampered by his inability to trust his WRs to make the right read and it is pretty clear that he is referring to Otree and Dez mostly.

So I love Dez's potential but I also wouldn't say it is ridiculous to bring up DJax in a list of potentially better WRs.

Why not just come up with your own list since mine lacks "credibility" compared to yours which has not been put forth.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4848120 said:
He wouldn't hit his mom, but he would stab a team mate in the chest with a pair of barber scissors.

So he's got that going for him.

:lmao2:

Clever. You're a clever one. I'll have to keep my eye on you.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
perrykemp;4848092 said:
Speaking of WRs, Justin Blackmon had an eye popping game today -- 7 catches for 236 yards and 1 TD.

Not quite as good as 'Dre though. :)

14 catches, 273 yards and a TD.

BTX

Reaction score
StarBoyz83;4847674 said:
Not a top 30 wr neither is austin

Wow. Just when I that you couldn't say any thing dumber you out due yourself.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
I cant believe that fans are playing the "but he hit his moma" junk. lol yeah poor mother teresa. If she got hit by a truck it would probably be the best thing that happened to him.
Everything Ive heard about this young man is that hes a good kid that wants to win. I can only imagine the people that are coming to him with their hand out. He is a beast on the field and hes really starting to show his worth. Its unfortunate that so many are resorting to attacking the guy. He plays hard and when its crunch time and the Cowboys need a big play Dez Bryant is who they look to.
I understand that you love your mother, so climb out of the basement and go give her a hug.

Chappy

Reaction score
I agree with the O.P 100% and it is all truth.

Meanwhile i do not expect much love for Dez here as usual and supportive threads for our players just go by the wayside and disappear into oblivion and people are not happy unless they are fighting or discrediting someones ability sadly and Dez is the easy target to aim the gun at most weeks.

Most of the nuffies on here know SFA all about this game and are trolls blind to the level of talent that Dez has and just harp on any negative they can to shoot him down while ignoring the positives.

Just wait until he has a mediocre game to confirm my opinion of the armchair experts on here who just love to hate and the threads are a plenty. :rolleyes: