Dez Bryant might not play in preseason (article)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com
Archive

OXNARD, Calif. -- Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones has tempered his optimism about first-round pick Dez Bryant playing in the preseason, saying the team needs to weigh the risks before putting the receiver on the field for a game that doesn't count in the standings.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Dez can show he is ready to play before pre season is done then I get him out there. If he has any limitation in cutting or has any discomfort then I hold him out until he is ready to go.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
To me it sounds like if Dez had to he could go yesterday.

So holding him out any longer than 2 more weeks seems a little too conservative.

We don't even have to play him against Miami. Just make sure he gets back to practice and has 2 weeks to prepare for the Commanders.

Bring him back August 30th if you want to be extra precautionary.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bryant fielded a few punts before Sunday afternoon's practice, but Jones told him not to do that again until the Cowboys' medical staff clears him to play.

"He doesn't want me doing it, so that's it," Bryant said. "That's an automatic win. Whatever he says goes."

Thanks Jerry.

couchscout

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3500679 said:
Jerry Jones aka coach should shut up and let the real head coach give the injury updates....

Show me another GM in the NFL that doesn't talk about injuries to players currently on his roster....oh, thats right, you can't.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Jerry Jones aka coach should shut up and let the real head coach give the injury updates....

You have no idea what a Football GM is do you?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Jerry can say what he wants, when he wants. Even if he didn't have GM in his title. He is the owner. And I could care less if the Rooney's, or Kraft, or the late Paul Brown never talked to the media about anything, leaving it all up to the coach.

Jerry is the owner. This is the Cowboys. This is our team. And we ain't like everyone else out there. You should know that by now. Either you're with us or against us! :cool:

:star:

utrunner07

Reaction score
Here is what needs to be done:

Wait for the medical staff to clear him to practice, then wait 2 more weeks before he practices.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
utrunner07;3500716 said:
Here is what needs to be done:

Wait for the medical staff to clear him to practice, then wait 2 more weeks before he practices.

that doesn't make much sense. maybe wait 2 more weeks before he plays in a game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
If it were the QB or LT or a veteran I'd say otherwise, but he needs the work.

utrunner07

Reaction score
baj1dallas;3500719 said:
that doesn't make much sense. maybe wait 2 more weeks before he plays in a game.

hmmmm...ok I can go with that...

I was being a bit sarcastic given our medical staff's performance last year, but I think what you say here is actually a good idea, lol, at least to me, but what do I know...seriously...

Mansta54

Reaction score

Dude he's the GM and doing his job. Why does that bother you so much? Who cares what JJ says? Unbelievable!!! :rolleyes:

7footer

Reaction score
Mansta54;3500737 said:
Dude he's the GM and doing his job. Why does that bother you so much? Who cares what JJ says? Unbelievable!!! :rolleyes:

Agreed. I don't understand the Jerry hate I always see on here. He's a passionate owner and GM who always tries to do what it takes to win...Some fans don't realize how lucky they are to have him. Jerry does a great job in both capacities.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I think if they can get a little work in a real-game situation, that'd be good (like the last minute or two of the last pre-season game).

But it really doesn't matter. IMO, I think teammates/players in practice never go as hard as opposing players do in real games.

7footer

Reaction score
Dez would benefit by at least playing in the game against Houston...where he would take reps with the first team for most of the game. If he's able to go I think they should let him. I wouldn't mind sitting him for the final preseason game, because catching passes from Kitna wouldn't benefit him much.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Did you say that when he said Dez could be back for 2 preseason games?