Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Tough choice...My homer-heart says Dez but my gray matter says CJ! As much as I love Dez's game I think CJ's size/speed combo gives him an advantage.

CrazyMonster

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4149009 said:
Calvin has limited agility..he is almost 100% straight line speed..his hips are incredibly stiff..not much shake to his game

Dez w the ball in his hands >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Calvin after the catch

Hmmm..

20 yard SS (an agility test)

Dez 4.48 CJ 4.01

CrazyMonster

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4149049 said:
You're going to use Jon Kitna as evidence of having a bad qb? You have to be kidding? Regardless he got targeted a lot by those guys.

No, I simply listed him, cause those are all the QBs CJ's ever had, not just the bad/horrible ones.

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
Galian Beast;4148598 said:
Dez Bryant. I think Calvin Johnson is amazing, but I think Dez Bryant is the most talented receiver I've ever seen.

CJ is bigger faster and has just as good hands, body control, and leaping ability. You have to be insane to take Dez over CJ.

Anyone who says they would take Dez over CJ is either being a huge homer or frankly doesn't know what they are talking about.

It is a freak of nature that someone who is 6'5 close to 240 lbs is as agile and as fast as CJ is. In terms of pure physical freakishness CJ is once every 50 years type of talent.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
if anyone says Dez they are a joke, forever. Calvin Johnson is the most physically gifted WR since Moss. And he may be more gifted. Watch him and Stafford dominate for years.

Stautner

Reaction score
AZ_Cowboys_Fan;4148761 said:
Everyone is saying CJ but they're looking at the situation right now and not projecting out 10 years as your question states. Dez is younger than CJ. Dez will only get better. The answer is Dez. This is not a knock against CJ of course, the guy is incredible.

CJ isn't exactly an elder statesman in the NFL, so while Dez age is something of a consideration, I don't see it as enough of a factor to override the fact that CJ is a tried and true star player, and that Dez, despite all his potential, is still yet to prove he can reach or be consistent at that level. I think we have a good one in Dez, but making an important decision on a player to count on to be the heart of your WR group you don't gamble, even if you think it's a small gamble, when you have the choice of a guy that has already proven himself as that kind of player.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
realtick;4148595 said:
You're starting a team and you need that bonafide playmaker as your #1 receiver for the next 10 years.

Who are you taking? Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson?

This should be fun...

Damn - Holley isn't an option??????

CJ, I guess . . .

DFWJC

Reaction score
You can't love Dez's skills any more than I do, but there is much more to it.

Some of you are greatly underestimating Dez's potential to implode. From what I'm hearing he still has flat-out dumbfounding responsibilty issues. He was even not showing up for rehab sessions when he was a game...and yes, he is still behind on learning the playbook and is still showing up late at meetings.
The bottom line is that you still can't YET count on Dez. He makes tiny move forward and then has massive regressions. Jerry is his enabler. if not for that, I think Garrett would possibly take drastic actions.

I'm not one of those--like some on the local radio lately--that have said they don't theink he will ever get it and that they should terade him immediatley.

But I am saying please don't put him in the same sentence as Calvin freaking Johnson! Calvin is a great player and a great teammate; smart, responsible, and freakishly talented.

Still...here's to hoping Dez ourshines Calvin this week in a big way!

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
CJ - that's really not a knock on Dez, it's just CJ has the best measurables of any WR that's ever come into the league.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson is the most amazing WR i have ever seen next to Jerry Rice. It's no contest.

theanimal23

Reaction score
Starting a team today? Considering age, talent, potential, etc -- I'd take MegaTron over any other WR in the league.

AZ_Cowboys_Fan

Reaction score
Stautner;4149200 said:
CJ isn't exactly an elder statesman in the NFL, so while Dez age is something of a consideration, I don't see it as enough of a factor to override the fact that CJ is a tried and true star player, and that Dez, despite all his potential, is still yet to prove he can reach or be consistent at that level. I think we have a good one in Dez, but making an important decision on a player to count on to be the heart of your WR group you don't gamble, even if you think it's a small gamble, when you have the choice of a guy that has already proven himself as that kind of player.

It's a bit of gamble to choose Dez because as we all know Dez still doesn't "get it". However, I feel that in time he will get it. I don't think he's a bad guy, I just think he hasn't fully grasped that he can't always get by on his freakish talent. It's apparent that he isn't doing all of the extra work that is needed to be truly great. When the light finally does come on, and it *will* come on, people will start answering this question differently I think.

DFWJC

Reaction score
perrykemp;4148722 said:
Johnson was clocked in the 4.33 to 4.35 range back when he was drafted.

I thought Dez was 4.52 - 4.55 or so.
That right.
Though Dez has been clocked faster that 4.5, his times generally fall into that range.

Calvin always clocks in 4.3-4.4 range.