Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson

AZ_Cowboys_Fan

Reaction score
realtick;4148595 said:
You're starting a team and you need that bonafide playmaker as your #1 receiver for the next 10 years.

Who are you taking? Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson?

This should be fun...

Everyone is saying CJ but they're looking at the situation right now and not projecting out 10 years as your question states. Dez is younger than CJ. Dez will only get better. The answer is Dez. This is not a knock against CJ of course, the guy is incredible.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4148736 said:
Johnson has a lot of things on Dez, but Dez has better body control and Dez has the best hands I've ever seen. Johnson is tall, but Dez can jump too and is notoriously good snatching jump balls. Dez has far better hands than Johnson. In a MUST have situation, I'm taking Dez.

You're just saying all of this to hurt my feelings. :mad: :p: I just don't see it. If I am in that situation, I am going with 6-5 Megatron and his 43" verticle. I love Dez and hope he can be what Johnson now is. I think he can, but he's not a finished product yet.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Joe Rod;4148772 said:
You're just saying all of this to hurt my feelings. :mad: :p: I just don't see it. If I am in that situation, I am going with 6-5 Megatron and his 43" verticle. I love Dez and hope he can be what Johnson now is. I think he can, but he's not a finished product yet.

I already said I go with Megatron overall.

I just said if I had one play that was an absolute must make, I would take Dez on that play. For instance, if I had CJ as a wide out on one side and Dez on the other, who would be my primary target on that MUST HAVE play? I take Dez. He has strength, play speed, body control, jumping ability, best hands in the game, and the sheer will to make that play.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Joe Rod;4148757 said:
Johnson has six touchdowns. Two touchdowns per game. I would forgive him for dropping one. Sorry dude, but you are looking through your Cowboy Goggles for putting Dez in Johnson's class at this point.

I never said he was in his class, lol. I was trying to find a scenario where Dez could compete. You could get Joe-schmoe off the street and they would pick Johnson over Dez. Doesn’t take any football knowledge to know that.

The idea you just have to throw the ball up to Johnson for an easy catch is not exactly true. He is on my fantasy team, i have seen them miss a few times.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ackbar.jpg

Not many fell for it, though.

CrazyMonster

Reaction score
AZ_Cowboys_Fan;4148761 said:
Everyone is saying CJ but they're looking at the situation right now and not projecting out 10 years as your question states. Dez is younger than CJ. Dez will only get better. The answer is Dez. This is not a knock against CJ of course, the guy is incredible.

CJ will only get better too, look at what he has worked with his first few years in the league. The guy was double teamed from the get go his rookie year, he's never had a QB worth anything till this year.

Dez has the advantage of having a pro bowl QB, & a very good WR opposite him and an elite TE. CJ has had NOTHING up to this point.

I am not knocking Dez at all, but he is simply not CJ and never will be. CJ has everything you can want in WR, big, tall, strong, fast, hands, smarts, maturity and a great attitude on & off the field

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
perrykemp;4148629 said:
Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, and Jermichael Finley represent, IMHO, the three biggest athletic freaks, who are pass receivers in the NFL.

If you're talking about athletic freak receivers then you ought to add Larry Fitzgerald to your list.

I like Dez for the long haul, but he's got a way to go to reach what CJ has accomplished

MegaMagick

Reaction score
Right now of course i'd go Calvin Johnson hands down, 5 weeks to a year from now, it just might be Bryant.

Johnson and Bryant are pretty much on the same career path, CJ had a lot of "WOW" plays but he couldn't stay on the field because of injuries, now he's healthy and dominating. I think Dez Bryant will be similar, but you just can't know for sure.

If Dez Bryant can overcome the injury bug then he has a chance to be the number 1 WR in the league in the next few years. CJ might already be there though, at least top 3.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;4148602 said:
Calvin Johnson in a runaway.

I agree. Dez Bryant has Terrell Owens written all over him. Great talent but ultimately he will let us down because he is all about himself.

His lack of effort on the INT vs the Jets, his lack of responsibility with his finances, a lot of little intangibles all point to a guy whose mind isn't on the right things.

I truly hope he proves me wrong.

Given a choice between him and Calvin Johnson, there is no choice, Johnson without a second thought.

jwitten82

Reaction score
THUMPER;4148874 said:
I agree. Dez Bryant has Terrell Owens written all over him. Great talent but ultimately he will let us down because he is all about himself.

His lack of effort on the INT vs the Jets, his lack of responsibility with his finances, a lot of little intangibles all point to a guy whose mind isn't on the right things.

I truly hope he proves me wrong.

Given a choice between him and Calvin Johnson, there is no choice, Johnson without a second thought.
Dez doesnt seem like he's all about himself

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've changed my mind. I'm going with Laurent Robinson. You see him take that illegal hit from RoiderBoy and get right back up?

JBS

Reaction score
Megatron is overrated...slightly

He is NOT in the same class as Fitz and Andre..those 2 are in a class of their own..

HOWEVER, as of right now..Calvin is clearly a much, MUCH better player than Dez..will Dez reach his potential and get to or surpass Calvin? I dont know..what I do know is Calvin is a sure bet to be top 3 for a long, long time..Give me Calvin..for sure

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
jwitten82;4148878 said:
Dez doesnt seem like he's all about himself

No, he just spends nearly a million dollars on jewelry and "forgets" to pay for it. :rolleyes: Last year he was pouting because he wasn't as involved as he thought he should have been. I just see a guy whose mind isn't on the right things and that sends up warning flags for me.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
dwarecwby311;4148731 said:
a more pertinent question..

Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson? (arguably the 2 best receivers in the NFL)

They're the two best IMO with Fitz just behind them.

Out of those picks I'd take Andre Johnson simply because I believe he's the best in the NFL.

ROUSH8692;4148742 said:
He's also been in longer....

Dez..

Duh. Way to state the obvious.

THe point, as I took it, was based off what you know about them right now, at this moment, and someone said pick one of the two for your team for the next 10 years who are you taking.

Based off what I know, right now, and have seen, right now, I'm taking Calvin Johnson in that situation and it's not close.

Now if you ask this again 3-4 years from now and say who you got for a 5 year plan at that point then maybe I'll feel different.

But right now, today, at this moment it's Calvin Johnson and to me it's not even close.

And I absolutely LOVE Dez.

Galian Beast;4148743 said:
How is Miles Austin more productive than ALL three of the guys mentioned, yet somehow, he never gets the mention.

That's another reason why I'm excited about Dez.

I see us having two of the top 5-10 receivers in the nfl on the same team... I keep saying it, but it almost seems like cheating.

Any year where Romo has both of these guys, and is healthy, but doesn't make the pro bowl, I think Romo has failed.

I think it's because, at least in Fitz and Andre's cases, they've been doing it longer and pretty much relatively injury free.

I don't think it's a knock on Miles by anyone it's just that people have seen Andre and Fitz doing it longer and for the majority of their time with QBs that aren't as good as the guy Miles has the benefit of working with.

JBS

Reaction score
Calvin is NOT in the same league as Fitz and Andre...NO WAY - NO HOW!!!!!