Dez Bryant or Tyron Smith

dstovall5

Reaction score
You easily keep Smith over Dez, but you try to keep both, you never want to lose a top tier WR.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
If our constant restructuring and pushing money into the future to keep career losers together finally comes to fruition and we can't sign Dez Bryant I will probably be done supporting this franchise.

Spectre

Reaction score
Both will be on the last year of their contracts so who do you sign assuming you can only sign one to a NFL comparable contract? For me, it's a no brainer. Tyron Smith. You've got to have a left tackle to protect your QB's blind side. Those are extremely hard to come by. You can more easily find top notch WR's.
I want both of these guys to be lifetime Cowboys.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I'm surprised I'm not seeing any Dez answers, since obviously, he has teh passiunz which equals teh victorieez

perrykemp

Reaction score
I'm surprised I'm not seeing any Dez answers, since obviously, he has teh passiunz which equals teh victorieez

Dez is great and they need to resign him, but anyone with any football sense that, for whatever reason, elite WRs seem to have little effect on the bottom line of NFL wins and losses.

It's not that a great WR isn't a good thing to have, it's just that they are boatload of "good" WRs who can achieve a good percentage of what the elite WRs are capable of.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Two great WRs for the Falcons have got them nowhere. Smith of course.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Both will be on the last year of their contracts so who do you sign assuming you can only sign one to a NFL comparable contract?

The team can activate the fifth year option in Tyron Smith's contract to prevent him from becoming a free agent after the 2014 season.

Since the new CBA in 2011, all first round picks have fifth year options which teams can exercise before the players' fourth seasons.

It's expensive for top ten selections like Smith, his option year will be the same as the 2014 OL Transition tag number (it was $9.7M last year, I believe).

It will be guaranteed for injury when activated and become fully guaranteed (cap, performance, injury) next off-season. And Dallas can buy injury insurance to protect themselves in case the worst happens.

Using the 5th year option will allow the Cowboys to wait a year before they need to sign Smith to a long term extension so they can focus on taking care of Dez Bryant.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If you can only have one then it's got to be Smith. If you can't keep your QB clean then Dez isn't going to matter anyway.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If our constant restructuring and pushing money into the future to keep career losers together finally comes to fruition and we can't sign Dez Bryant I will probably be done supporting this franchise.

Man what a loss that will be for the fan base.

RS12

Reaction score
Tyron Smith, no brainer. Keep hearing rumors about Dez's back.

theSHOW

Reaction score

oh good.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Tyron is the priority, much less likely something happens that could drive down his value (injury, off the field) so it can only go up, we're already looking at 6 years 50m+, likely 10m a season. Worst comes to worst we franchise Dez while trying to work something out, if he misses 6 games next season we may be able to luck into locking him up for 6 years on a high-guarantee, (relatively) low-salary contract. Likely we're talking at least 6 years, 75m, 50m guaranteed (that's the ballpark we're in with him). We don't want to pay Larry Fitzgerald money (8yr, 120m, 50m guaranteed... signed in 2010).

Keep in mind Sean Lee signed a 6 year, 51m contract in August and Tyron and Dez will both likely get much more than that. Heck, if they both go 8 years you can conceivably see them both get 100m+ on the open market.

Yeah Let's keep Smith over Dez....because throwing to Austin and Williams, and 3 yard outs to witten will be fun.

The only reason we even sniffed 8 wins was because Defenses had to respect Dez, which in turn gave us a chance.

There was a reason he was named most dangerous Cowboy or whatever

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

That's nothing. Tyron was so passionate against the Lions, he couldn't even concede a single time-wasting run without fighting for every yard :)

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Yeah Let's keep Smith over Dez....because throwing to Austin and Williams, and 3 yard outs to witten will be fun.

The only reason we even sniffed 8 wins was because Defenses had to respect Dez, which in turn gave us a chance.

There was a reason he was named most dangerous Cowboy or whatever

Not ridiculous to say keep the 23 year old top 3 LT in the NFL who has only improved over his career and could be here for the next dozen years for the 25 year old WR who is showing some signs of being injury-prone while sometimes being a headcase, not to mention how much more important LT is compared to WR. Much rarer to find a true franchise LT than it is to find an elite WR. Maybe 5-6 franchise LTs in the NFL, arguably a dozen elite WRs.

XxTDxX

Reaction score
Dez.. Dez is a gamechanger and brings an attitude that this team needs.. I am really hoping we find a way to get both done and I think we will

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
We're going to keep both, but Smith is the most valuable player on this entire team at the moment.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Between only one or the other....

A good GM would do Tyron, especially considering Bryant's back problem he's been having (at his young age) and that you win in the trenches (both off and def lines).

Our GM? Will do whichever ends up the worse decision regardless.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You easily keep Smith over Dez, but you try to keep both, you never want to lose a top tier WR.

I keep the offensive tackle and do not think twice if their productivity is equal. A great left tackle is vital and trying to buy one in free agency is extremely risky. A "great WR" is a little less important. It is nice to have that "dominant" WR, but teams have shown you can win with a little less than that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Between only one or the other....

A good GM would do Tyron, especially considering Bryant's back problem he's been having (at his young age) and that you win in the trenches (both off and def lines).

Our GM? Will do whichever ends up the worse decision regardless.

Tyron really needs to find a way to give away more Xboxes, sell more jerseys and publicly say he is a Cowboy for life for Jones to think he is worth that kind of money.