Dez Bryant: "I can be the first 2000 yd receiver"

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
venky;5032620 said:
I love this man.
Me too. He is the single most exciting player on this team, and he and Tony are the only too I really look forward to watching.

As for 2k yards, I doubt he'll do it, but physically, he's certainly capable.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
He definitely has the potential no doubt. Just his raw talent and physical abilities and makeup make him a mismatch for pretty much any DB out there. He can be like Calvin Johnson as his career goes on.

But Witten would have to get injured or retire before he can approach 2k. Witten is Romo's safety valve or for good reason. Also, with how Garrett calls this offense, Dez seems to be forgotten for big chunks of the game.

Offensive line needs to be improved to give Romo more time to find Dez down the field. The last 6 games of the season, he was a monster.

Seems he has his head on straight now.

The Natural

Reaction score
"I'm so confident. I view myself as an up-and-coming leader. That's how I view myself."
Bryant volunteered to speak at a rally called Dallas Men Against Abuse on Saturday, admitting that he made a mistake and challenging men to "X domestic violence out of your life." Bryant said his productive offseason is part of the continuing maturation process.

"That's all having to do with understanding me being a Dallas Cowboy, me knowing who I am as a person, just understanding that I'm a grown man," Bryant said. "It's time to be a leader. It's time to step up and just do what you need to do. Hold yourself accountable."

Dez I believe is more of a natural leader. There's some guys that have been on this team 8+ years that just dont have that fire, it's going to be a joy watching his career unfold.

venky

Reaction score
The Natural;5032671 said:
Dez I believe is more of a natural leader. There's some guys that have been on this team 8+ years that just dont have that fire, it's going to be a joy watching his career unfold.
Agreed. You either have it or you don't, and Dez has it.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gimmesix;5032481 said:
I'd rather him be the first receiver with 25 touchdown receptions.

Yards aren't a problem for this team.

This is true (Witten).

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

-He didn't say anything wrong. He feels he can get better and believes that he has the potential to do great things.

-It's disappointing to hear that his back injury has prevented him from running routes. Back injuries can really screw up a player's career.

-I wonder if Romo texting him inspirational stuff is considered leadership? I'm pretty sure if Ray Lewis did that it would be "leadership at it's finest".

-At the end of the article he says it's about winning. That's the important thing and it was clearly missed by some who read the headline and think he's just talking big and all about individual success. Watch the guy play and it's clear that winning is extremely important to him. If he was a selfish player he would be making "business decisions" instead of battling for every yard and taking big hits.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Good for him, but he'll never do it. Dez has never shown any ability with discipline to beat a double team, and if he had 1000 yards after 8 games, defenses would assure that he never sniffed 2000.

Glad he wants to excell, but I don't think he'll ever get 2000, and I'd be happy to see that line in Vegas.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
gimmesix;5032481 said:

Took the words out of my mouth (or fingers).

If you're catching passes for that many yards, chances are the offense is relying on you too heavily and the offense can be stopped. If you're catching 25 TD's, you're scoring points.

YR

CowboyGil

Reaction score
The most telling thing to me is that Michael Irvin said Dez's fire and passion reminded him of him at that age. You can tell he hates to lose. He's not laughing or smiling on the sidelines. He looks like a volcano about to erupt.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
CowboyGil;5032734 said:
The most telling thing to me is that Michael Irvin said Dez's fire and passion reminded him of him at that age. You can tell he hates to lose. He's not laughing or smiling on the sidelines. He looks like a volcano about to erupt.

This is the thing I like about him. He takes losing personally. He doesn't get mad that the ball isn't coming to him..ala T.O...he gets mad coming off the field because they didn't score/convert a 3rd down/do their jobs. I like that in guys. You can tell when its manufactured vs. inate and he is the real deal.

9darter

Reaction score
CowboysFaninDC;5032772 said:
Dez, just shut up and go out and play and let your playing do the talking. don't give fuel to the DBs and safties.....

Heard about passion and motivation?

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Never going to happen as long as Witten is on the team but it's great that he's that motivated. He's gonna be fun to watch.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pretty good article on ESPN.com on this today (3/27)
Graziano certainly says don't count him out.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...nt-dallas-cowboys-says-nfl-first-2000-yard-wr

Give a lot of credit to Coach Robinson.

He says he and Romo have been in contact a lot w/ Tony sending him inspirational messages and WR related stuff.

Said he left the Washington game in a wheelchair and it took him a while to get overt the the loss. Recall that late in the 4th qtr, Bryant, Austin, Harris, and even Beasley (fwiw) were all unavailable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like guys setting lofty goals for themselfs. I recall a rookie RB who came into Dallas talking about his goal of being the all time leading rusher one day and he ended up doing just that. I want guys striving to be the best even if he falls short of the goal.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
gimmesix;5032481 said:

If Dez has 25 TD's the odds are real good that will equal a winning record next season. Receiving yards don't always lead to scores and victories as we saw with Detroit and Megatron last season. Johnson's 1964 yards only accounted for 5 TD's and Detroit ended up 4-12. In 2011 Johnson had almost 300 fewer receiving yards but scored 16 TD's and the Lions went 10-6 and made the playoffs.