Dez Bryant takes the team out for $54,000

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Dez Bryant takes the team out for $54,000

September, 28, 2010 Sep 281:42PM CTEmail Print Comments By Calvin Watkins

At some point you knew Roy E. Williams was going to get Dez Bryant.

In training camp, Bryant refused to carry Williams' shoulder pads, saying he didn't know anything about the tradition of rookies carrying a veteran player's shoulder pads.

Williams excused it saying just take the team out and get him some Nikes.

Monday night at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, Bryant took the offensive players out, then Williams invited the defensive players and when the night was over the bill came: $54,896.

"They got the young fella," said Bryant's adviser David Wells. "What could he say? He had to pay it unless he wanted to wash dishes for a month."

Players ordered basically everything on the menu and even took home bottles of wine.

After checking out the winebook, which is 90 pages, we wonder if anyone purchased the Chateau Latour for $9,000.

Then we figured a few players got that Plumpjack Reserve for $600.

No word from Bryant or Williams about their thoughts on how the evening went.

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5626300

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw some tweets about this other night..

That bill is crazy...

Dez should've carried the pads.. lol

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Ouch. I'm all for rookies paying their dues but $54k? I hope some veterans slip him some cash. That's ugly.

Doomsay

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3591792 said:

That bill is crazy...

Really.

zekecee

When Posting...Please Use Caution
Reaction score
Bryant has a five-year, $11.8 million contract that includes $8.5 million in guarantees.
Not to be in my man's wallet or anything, but I think he's good for it!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bet that pisses some poor people off ..... they blew on dinner what most do not make in a year.

:laugh2:

baj1dallas

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3591792 said:

That bill is crazy...

can you imagine the tip on that bill? splitting it 5 or 6 ways, about a half dozen people earned at least $2k that night. now that's sittin around money.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
zrinkill;3591802 said:
Bet that pisses some poor people off ..... they blew on dinner what most do not make in a year.

:laugh2:

Yup. Those poor poor NFL players.:laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
:lmao2:

I love football. This is beautiful.

Dez, laugh about it because in a few years it will be one of the most precious memories of your life. That is outstanding.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That is just over $1000 per person and that is only if it were the whole 53 man roster.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Hazings, initiations, and things like this restaurant bill are the dumbest, most childish thing.

If I were Dez, I would smile and go along I guess, but I wouldn't care for it.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
That's just kinda sad. Lots of hungry people could eat for that kind of cash.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
My experience with most professional athletes, entertainers, and the suddenly-rich in general is that they have no concept of how much $$ they really have. To them, $500K, $5M or $50M is just an endless pool of $$ that will never run dry.

Not that Bryant is that way, but he will be if dropping $50K very often on anything were to become a habit. Hopefully Roy Williams helped him with the tab.

Bigdog

Reaction score
baj1dallas;3591806 said:
can you imagine the tip on that bill? splitting it 5 or 6 ways, about a half dozen people earned at least $2k that night. now that's sittin around money.

Gratuity was probably included in the bill especially with over 8 people eating.

skicat1898

Reaction score
Apparently a lot of hungry people did eat for that amount of money...

I wonder what RW had,,, maybe started off with the appetizer "Next time carry the pads rookie" with a main course of "Not getting my starting spot this year" with a side order of "Kiss my butt Norm Hitzges" followed with a dessert of "Crow Pie" which he put in a doggie bag to serve to the rest of the media...

Great game RW, keep it up :bow:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Wash dishes for a month to pay $54,896? I promise you there aren't any dish washers making 50 grand a month!

laythewood28

Reaction score
Do all the rookies have to pay or is it just the first round pick? Lee should help out.