Dez Bryant - The Survivor

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's a miracle that he ever made it out of Lufkin. As long as he keeps pushing forward, he should be fine after football.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The article seems to have quite a bit of editorializing added by Rolling Stone. They've really taken a lot out of context about the contract situation to attempt to play on the "evil owner Jerry Jones" angle.

Read between the lines on this one -- great story, in context, about Dez Bryant, but a relatively poorly written article when compared to other tell-alls, like the ESPN articles on Arian Foster and Jerry Jones that came out this year.

That's the "new" way of magazine writing. I remember attending a seminar in "magazine writing," and was paired with a Times editor. He reviewed/critiqued a story I had written about interracial relationships (this was back in the 90s). Anyway, his recommendation to me was to editorialize more and write and ending that reflected my feelings about the subject.

I was kind of taken aback because I was always trained to be neutral and not express my opinions directly in an article.

When you're on a level like Rolling Stone, you have to make the story interesting. Otherwise, who cares to read it. So editorializing, conflict, cussing, innuendos and outright misinterpretations are part of making the story interesting.

Note the following description of Jerry Jones:

Why is he so wounded by the bargaining machinations of reptilian Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who had refused to make him a five-year offer at the going rate for franchise wide receivers?

First, noticed the subjective term used to describe Jerry Jones. That's not Dez's words. Those are the words of the author.

Second, Dez is among the highest paid receivers in the game. Megatron is the highest paid receiver with Dez coming in second. Dez DID get the going rate for franchise receivers.

Third, does this author know anything about the bargaining process? So Jerry Jones doesn't come right out and give Dez the keys to the kingdom, so to speak. Is this enough to call him reptilian?

Nevertheless, it is what it is. That's how the magazines and newspapers operate these days. I'm not complaining in as much as I'm noting and dissecting the new approach to journalism.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
If we've learned one thing David Wells is the type of scum bag that likes to hear himself talk. It's very apparent he was at the center of drumming up the Dez Unicorn Video rumors.

The guy calls himself a 'Black Ray Donovan'.... I think that says it all there.

Screw you David Wells.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
That's the "new" way of magazine writing. I remember attending a seminar in "magazine writing," and was paired with a Times editor. He reviewed/critiqued a story I had written about interracial relationships (this was back in the 90s). Anyway, his recommendation to me was to editorialize more and write and ending that reflected my feelings about the subject.

I was kind of taken aback because I was always trained to be neutral and not express my opinions directly in an article.

When you're on a level like Rolling Stone, you have to make the story interesting. Otherwise, who cares to read it. So editorializing, conflict, cussing, innuendos and outright misinterpretations are part of making the story interesting.

Note the following description of Jerry Jones:

First, noticed the subjective term used to describe Jerry Jones. That's not Dez's words. Those are the words of the author.

Second, Dez is among the highest paid receivers in the game. Megatron is the highest paid receiver with Dez coming in second. Dez DID get the going rate for franchise receivers.

Third, does this author know anything about the bargaining process? So Jerry Jones doesn't come right out and give Dez the keys to the kingdom, so to speak. Is this enough to call him reptilian?

Nevertheless, it is what it is. That's how the magazines and newspapers operate these days. I'm not complaining in as much as I'm noting and dissecting the new approach to journalism.

Good post, tyke.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
People talk about his contract. It's a blessing but it wasn't the only blessing Bryant has received. And I think he knows and respects them.

Good article. Not great but good. The Greg Hardy mentionable could have been reworded but it would have made the article a little less dramatic.

The team's front office should separate themselves from Wells. That is a relationship which may not eventually end well. And that's putting it mildly.

I thought the team should separate themselves from Wells too but then I wonder what Wells has in his arsenal of private files against the Cowboys that could potential go to the top guy which could be damaging. If Wells really knows all these judges and attorneys and has worked on all the off field issues of the team, he could probably tell some stories.

erod

Reaction score
A fascinating read for sure, but this was not kind to the Cowboys at all, especially the "reptilian" Jerry Jones. I think Dez made a mistake by going to an unknown source to him, and letting this story be told by a non-sports writer.

If Dez was a Minnesota Viking, there wouldn't be much more to it, but this will fuel a national upsurge in Cowboys bashing and stereotyping. This same environment exists across the league's locker rooms.

And I hope Dez understands that the magnifying glass just got a lot bigger, and the intensity and scrutiny on him just increased ten-fold. A LOT more media will be following him around and creeping in every crevice he crosses.

I'm not sure if Roc-Nation advised him to do this story, but it sounds like a massive game of chicken is on the horizon between them and David Wells. Sounds like Roc-Nation wants to sue Wells for money he stole, and Wells is threatening to release incriminating information on Dez if they do. That could get ugly.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Fourteen years later, Jerry Jones anointed Bryant the Next Great Cowboy. So was Bryant initiated, and so perceived: the latest in a long line of head-job talents, all of whom just happened to be black.

Way to introduce race into the topic and, by implication, racism.

Of course, the contradiction is striking though RS doesn't realize it. If Jerry Jones anointed Dez the NEXT GREAT COWBOY why would race become an issue? Wouldn't you NOT bestow Dez this declaration if race were an issue?

Oh, and I doubt Jerry Jones anointed Dez such. Tony Romo is the NEXT GREAT COWBOY.

It all starts and ends with the quarterback.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
A fascinating read for sure, but this was not kind to the Cowboys at all, especially the "reptilian" Jerry Jones. I think Dez made a mistake by going to an unknown source to him, and letting this story be told by a non-sports writer.

If Dez was a Minnesota Viking, there wouldn't be much more to it, but this will fuel a national upsurge in Cowboys bashing and stereotyping. This same environment exists across the league's locker rooms.

And I hope Dez understands that the magnifying glass just got a lot bigger, and the intensity and scrutiny on him just increased ten-fold. A LOT more media will be following him around and creeping in every crevice he crosses.

I'm not sure if Roc-Nation advised him to do this story, but it sounds like a massive game of chicken is on the horizon between them and David Wells. Sounds like Roc-Nation wants to sue Wells for money he stole, and Wells is threatening to release incriminating information on Dez if they do. That could get ugly.

Maybe this is a question for a lawyer, but wouldn't Wells be preaching professional ethics by revealing any information he learned about Dez during their business relationship?
You know attorney-client, patient-physician privileges?

erod

Reaction score
Maybe this is a question for a lawyer, but wouldn't Wells be preaching professional ethics by revealing any information he learned about Dez during their business relationship?
You know attorney-client, patient-physician privileges?

He can release the information to Florio, Schefter, anyone he wants. He can do so "anonomously".

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I thought the team should separate themselves from Wells too but then I wonder what Wells has in his arsenal of private files against the Cowboys that could potential go to the top guy which could be damaging. If Wells really knows all these judges and attorneys and has worked on all the off field issues of the team, he could probably tell some stories.

If he actually has "dirt" on anyone, which is highly questionable, he would be committing career suicide to go public with it...ever. In his line of business, once you show you can't be trusted, you're done.

LandryFan

Reaction score
He can release the information to Florio, Schefter, anyone he wants. He can do so "anonomously".

That's a very good point. It's risky on his part, but he could certainly do that. In fact, he probably did that with the yet-to-be-seen "video".

erod

Reaction score
If he actually has "dirt" on anyone, which is highly questionable, he would be committing career suicide to go public with it...ever. In his line of business, once you show you can't be trusted, you're done.

Wells looks worse than anybody in this, and now he's a wounded and cornered animal. Folks are going to come after him now in all sorts of ways. Dez obviously wants revenge, which is why I think he agreed to this (he's never been this open about this before with local reporters, whom he could have trusted more).

Wells is stewing right now.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Wells looks worse than anybody in this, and now he's a wounded and cornered animal. Folks are going to come after him now in all sorts of ways. Dez obviously wants revenge, which is why I think he agreed to this (he's never been this open about this before with local reporters, whom he could have trusted more).

Wells is stewing right now.

I think you're right about that. Probably plotting revenge as we speak...seriously. Don't know much at all about the guy, but he certainly comes off as someone who has no problem with playing dirty pool.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Then someone turned the dog whistle of race up till it was practically deafening. ESPN's Adam Schefter said he'd spent months digging for a security-cam tape of Bryant assaulting a woman in a Walmart parking lot. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk went him one better, saying the release of the video was "inevitable" and that "we're going to see something in the next month." Rumors swirled all winter that the tape was being shopped, and that the act it depicted was "five times worse" than Ray Rice's punch-out of his fiancée. Bryant had a hunch where all this came from.

So the author raises the issue of race but then doesn't back up the race angle? :huh:

In my last call to Wells, I asked if he had leaked the story, either to the Joneses or to the media. He denied it, saying that if Bryant thought so, then so be it. "But have you seen the police report? Have you heard the 911 call? Something happened in that parking lot, and I didn't drum it up!"

Wells is full of BS.
As a former police officer, he should know that police records are a matter of public information and can be obtained via a FOI (Freedom of Information) request. So too are 911 recordings.
And the Rolling Stone as a journalistic operation should know that any organization or citizen can make an FOI request to obtain these records, especially an organization with deep pockets like Rolling Stone.
So where are these recordings that we should heard and reports we should have read?
You mean to tell me that news/sports organizations with deep pockets like FOX, ESPN and NBC wouldn't have paid the necessary fee to force the police department to make the report and 911 call available?

Pulease. Anyone with a basic background in journalism can see he's lying.
He's deflecting.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Okay. I just didn't think he could go on record with it because that's professionally unethical. But it wouldn't be hard to guess who Mr. "Anonymous" was/is after his "threat" was printed in a popular magazine with national/international circulation.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
So the author raises the issue of race but then doesn't back up the race angle? :huh:

Wells is full of BS.
As a former police officer, he should know that police records are a matter of public information and can be obtained via a FOI (Freedom of Information) request. So too are 911 recordings.
And the Rolling Stone as a journalistic operation should know that any organization or citizen can make an FOI request to obtain these records, especially an organization with deep pockets like Rolling Stone.
So where are these recordings that we should heard and reports we should have read?
You mean to tell me that news/sports organizations with deep pockets like FOX, ESPN and NBC wouldn't have paid the necessary fee to force the police department to make the report and 911 call available?

Pulease. Anyone with a basic background in journalism can see he's lying.
He's deflecting.

No, I think he's saying that when Dez switched to Roc Nation, there were a lot of accusations flung around related to race, re: Jerry v. Jay-Z. He would be right -- people are fooling themselves if they don't think all of the "distrust of Roc Nation" from fans has anything to do with hip-hop/Black culture.

But you're right -- all of that stuff can easily be obtained by a simple FOIA request, none of which is protected by any exception (police reports, 911 audio, etc.)

I'd do it, but FOIA requests can be expensive.

erod

Reaction score
Okay. I just didn't think he could go on record with it because that's professionally unethical. But it wouldn't be hard to guess who Mr. "Anonymous" was/is after his "threat" was printed in a popular magazine with national/international circulation.

Roc-Nation could sue him into the gutter. Win or lose, they could just bury him with legal expenses.

I wonder what Dez' motivation is here. For a guy that is so reluctant to talk about his past, he really let this stranger from Rolling Stones get into some personal areas. Was Roc-Nation behind this?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No, I think he's saying that when Dez switched to Roc Nation, there were a lot of accusations flung around related to race, re: Jerry v. Jay-Z. He would be right -- people are fooling themselves if they don't think all of the "distrust of Roc Nation" from fans has anything to do with hip-hop/Black culture.

Among the tips I was taught as a reporter are:
1. Never raise a question in your story you don't answer and,
2. Never reference something in an article and not explain it, particularly if it's of a controversial nature. You aren't to assume your reader has the same history, knowledge and insight you do. You don't have to give a history lesson, but you need to provide enough background to give readers at least a glimpse of an explanation.

The Rolling Stone article fails to do this. And by not doing this, it implies racism on behalf of Jerry Jones and the Cowboys organization.

But you're right -- all of that stuff can easily be obtained by a simple FOIA request, none of which is protected by any exception (police reports, 911 audio, etc.)

I'd do it, but FOIA requests can be expensive.

If there were reports and calls to be requested. And that's the problem. If Schefty, Glazer and Florio are worth their salt as reporters/journalists (and Florio is an attorney so I know he knows), they would have been all over a FOI request. And money is NO PROBLEM in this case because ESPN, FOX and NBC all have deep pockets and would have had NO PROBLEM shelling out big bucks if, indeed, an incriminating 911 call and police report against Dez exists. That's why I'm calling BS on Wells' claim.