Dez Bryant Training Camp 7.25.10

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Went to the Sunday practices. Just a few quick thoughts.

• Romo looked sharp and accurate the whole day. I enjoy watching him.

• Austin looks explosive and to me is the best WR on the field at this point. He looked great on the deep middle slants. He is becoming a superstar and a fan favorite. He gets huge ovations.

• Afternoon practice was so packed had to get crappy seats up at the top. Oddly, after about 30-45 minutes into practice half the crowd left.

• Jenkins looks great. I haven’t noticed any drop off.

• Dez Bryant looks extremely athletic. I didn’t see him drop a single pass. Although to me he seems to run half-speed at times and tries a little too hard to make the catch look impressive. Maybe he makes it look so effortless it appears that way. Either way, he is fun to watch.

• First team D-fense vs the 2nd string with Kitna is brutal to watch. Kitna would have been killed if it was a real game. They had no answer for the pass-rush.

• Kitna does not impress me. He threw an INT during a drill with no pass rush. I know he is the backup and an upgrade over what we had last year, but he still worries me if he has to play.

• The Cowboys offense seems to be doing some presnap moving that i am not sure i have seen before. They will take two TEs and shift them to the other side. They did this a number of times, not sure if Romo is simply flipping the play or if it’s by design.

• There were 4 straight plays where the offense false started and the defense jumped offsides. These were huge problems last year and showed its ugly head again for a few moments. I would have sent the entire team to run a lap.

• Doug Free seems to be getting alot of chipping help. I rewatched a few videos and he always seems to have someone helping.

• Williams, Crayton, O-Tree, Hurd, Holley - they all looked good. This is one very talented WR core. I don’t see any other WRs making the team.

• Got signatures from Hurd and Hodge. Told Hurd “this is your year, buddie” his response, ”Has to be...has to be”. He left a few minutes later saying he had to go lift. The dudes arms are massive in person. I still think he has alot of talent and can be a very good WR in this league.

• After practice noticed Witten working with the other TEs. (Bennett was MIA, i could never locate him). Phillips looks good and i think could make a run at a starting job.

• Cowboys finally used a flea flicker! Here is that play with my commentary: [youtube]pRBZnrNePLM[/youtube]

Here are a few plays with Dez at practice: [youtube]5Fz26NCh9Yg[/youtube]

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3469699 said:
• Kitna does not impress me. He threw an INT during a drill with no pass rush. I know he is the backup and an upgrade over what we had last year, but he still worries me if he has to play.

one....he was our backup last year too. :laugh2:

two...he did well to allude a heated rush from Ware in morning practice today, so he's still got some mobility at least.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover;3469703 said:
one....he was our backup last year too. :laugh2:

two...he did well to allude a heated rush from Ware in morning practice today, so he's still got some mobility at least.

Haha, Kitna never saw the field last year. Completely forgot. Yea, no doubt he was under a ton of pressure from the pass rush. Maybe Romo is so great you see the drop off which is a good thing.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Is it safe to say now that Kitna still has an arm after chucking it deep?

We can put that "Kitna is just like Brad Johnson" thread to rest now. He's not the best, but we're lucky to have him over Johnson or most of the back ups in the league.

jchocolate82

Reaction score
Man I can not wait to see Dez in the pre season games. I wonder if they'll give him the vet treatment and limit is snaps or give him a lot of minutes this preseason

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Is Dez running exclusively as the third WR or is Crayton coming in on three wide receiver sets as well?

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
CowboyMike;3469719 said:
Is Dez running exclusively as the third WR or is Crayton coming in on three wide receiver sets as well?

Dez is getting the majority of the 3 wide sets with the first team. Romo did complete a few passes to “Mr Reliable” Crayton, so he is getting on the field also.

couchscout

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3469728 said:
Dez is getting the majority of the 3 wide sets with the first team. Romo did complete a few passes to “Mr Reliable” Crayton, so he is getting on the field also.

Vela over at BTB said they were using both the Austin, Williams, Crayton combo, and the Austin, Williams, Bryant combo. With Crayton being in the slot when he's on the field, Austin mans the slot when Bryant is on the field.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
couchscout;3469739 said:
Vela over at BTB said they were using both the Austin, Williams, Crayton combo, and the Austin, Williams, Bryant combo. With Crayton being in the slot when he's on the field, Austin mans the slot when Bryant is on the field.

Ok, Vela is probably charting all that down correctly. I mainly watched Bryant the whole time and not Crayton. Ill have to rewatch my videos and see but Dez has played with the first team more than Crayton. I am pretty sure of that.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Looks good. Appears a bit hesitant in bump coverage, but it was only a couple plays.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
great stuff, but you know when you put the videos out, you are also showing our formations and plays to the opposing teams. you don't think billicheat may have some one scouring the opposing teams fan sites for videos and pictures. just saying it may happen.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
BaybeeJay;3469756 said:
Looks good. Appears a bit hesitant in bump coverage, but it was only a couple plays.

Same here did not look good clearing the DB when up close.
But that takes.... Practice....

And that's what training camp is about.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CowboysFaninDC;3469809 said:
great stuff, but you know when you put the videos out, you are also showing our formations and plays to the opposing teams. you don't think billicheat may have some one scouring the opposing teams fan sites for videos and pictures. just saying it may happen.

TO has been talking about those "secret plays" for awhile now.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score

It was mentioned right before this weekend that the reason why Dallas has open training camp dates back to the Bills Super Bowl games. The DC and OC of Buffalo said they knew what Dallas would run out of each and every formation, and still couldn't stop us.

It was also mentioned over the last several years TC is only some baisc implementation of the plays but more centered around larger concepts and points of emphasis. The few weeks after the last preseason game and before the first regular season game is where our team learns the real details of their unit's playbook.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score

And he needs amature videos? Come on, these are billion dollar teams. They can hire someone to do what anyone else can do. Besides, its the second day of camp. I doubt anything ground breaking was being done. Oh wait, we are bringing back the flea flicker!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
couchscout;3469739 said:

I'd like more Austin, Bryant, Crayton combos.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Bryant seems to use his hands well to fend off the CB. The CBs are ticky tacky hand fighting him the whole way - even after 5 yards.