Dez Bryant Training Camp 7.25.10

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thus far in the early stages of camp then only thing I have heard that Dez needs to work on is getting off the jam at the line of scrimmage when facing press coverage.

couchscout

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3470380 said:
Thus far in the early stages of camp then only thing I have heard that Dez needs to work on is getting off the jam at the line of scrimmage when facing press coverage.

Yeah, all of the videos I've seen he's been below average at getting off of the jam. He also seems to spend too much time hand fighting while running his route. It would not surprise me at all if he gets called for an offensive pass interference call or two this season as he seems to get full arm extension at the top of his routes far too often.

windjc

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3470380 said:

While I am not a trained scout, Dez doesn't look as smooth and fluid in his routes as Austin and Roy. He looks faster than Roy, but not faster than Austin.

To me, Austin looks by far like the most refined WR on this team at this point. He is the epitome of smoothness. Dez looks great in the air, great after 2nd gear, but still looks very unpolished, imo. Which is to be expected.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
couchscout;3470407 said:
Yeah, all of the videos I've seen he's been below average at getting off of the jam. He also seems to spend too much time hand fighting while running his route. It would not surprise me at all if he gets called for an offensive pass interference call or two this season as he seems to get full arm extension at the top of his routes far too often.

I'm sure Ray Sherman will work with him on technique to help him get off the line in these situations. There is no doubt there are tricks to the trade that each player has to learn. I will say thus far I have been very pleased with Dez and think he will have a very good career in Dallas.

couchscout

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3470425 said:
I'm sure Ray Sherman will work with him on technique to help him get off the line in these situations. There is no doubt there are tricks to the trade that each player has to learn. I will say thus far I have been very pleased with Dez and think he will have a very good career in Dallas.

Yeah, I'm sure they will work with him, I imagine he will wow us at least once a game this upcoming season. I was merely pointing out what I can see right now. The pushing off at the top of the route has a lot to do with the fact that he's facing NFL caliber corners everytime he runs a route now. As opposed to his days at Okie State where he wasn't blanketed quite as closely on most of his routes I'm sure.

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
Thanks for the tidbits and vids. I love this kind of stuff from our fans on the scene. Appreciate the effort.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
couchscout;3470432 said:
Yeah, I'm sure they will work with him, I imagine he will wow us at least once a game this upcoming season. I was merely pointing out what I can see right now. The pushing off at the top of the route has a lot to do with the fact that he's facing NFL caliber corners everytime he runs a route now. As opposed to his days at Okie State where he wasn't blanketed quite as closely on most of his routes I'm sure.

I'm not disputing what you said only that these are things that every rookie WR has to learn and things he will pick up for Sherman as well as his fellow WR’s. Just as every rookie has to work on dragging that second foot in bounds, the days of 1 foot in is a catch is over. Refs do look a lot closer at WR extending their arms when pushing off as guys develop they learn how to be more subtle in making these moves and it will be something Dez will learn. How quick he picks these details up will go a long way in making a big impact on the team.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Ah. Have been calling for the flea flicker since we stopped doing it once Glenn was done. Nice to see. Teams will be doubling Dez in no time.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
I'm getting gitty like a school-girl attending her first Justin Beiber concert over here!!!!

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Dez really understands how to use his body while running routes.

He does not look like a rookie when running routes that's for sure.

Maybe he replaces Roy sooner than we all think? Week 4?