Dez Bryant's contract is pretty much in line with WRs of his caliber around the NFL

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Is Dez Bryant overpaid? Sure. His guaranteed money is a bit much. Total contract value is too much. But to act like his contract is absurd, or that he only deserves 4-6 mil a year (which I've seen suggested on this forum), or that he deserves to be outright cut is misinformed. And I don't love or hate Dez, but his contract is pretty much in line with the current going rate of WRs that post similar production. If you want to simply say all these guys are overpaid compared to other similarly paid WRs (Green, Adams, Thomas, Jones), then I can agree with that. But don't vilify Dez Bryant simply because of his contract.

"Look at all these other guys with bad contracts"

Even you grant he is overpaid. 3rd highest cap hit and base salary for WRs this year. Anyone want to argue he's the 3rd best WR in the league?

It's not about vilifying Dez, it's about clearing bad contracts. That's not picking on Dez. That's professional sports in a salary capped league.

The number in my head has been 8mil. It's trending down. It will be interesting to see what he gets this year. Bet it aint 12.5.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Keenan Allen has an affordable deal for his talent. He’s had some injury issues but I could live with his deal. Of the others, I wouldn’t want them on their contracts either.

I know it’s a trendy rebuttal to say look around the league at what these WRs are paid, but pointing out other inflated contracts doesn’t make what Dez is making any more palatable. Those guys have overpriced contracts. So does Dez. Pointing out their inflated salaries doesn’t make me happier to keep him at this price. It makes me want to find someone cheaper and put that money towards another position that gets more bang for the buck. Just because another team does something stupid doesn’t mean it makes it ok when this team does the same.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Alas, I'm sick of the Dez threads, but here I go starting one. I feel dirty. This may be a controversial thread, because it's neither pro nor anti Dez.

jQtlgaj.jpg

114db7fa-a638-4a4b-bab2-5e3a5283857b

RsMII8t.jpg

5chvN1y.jpg

0N2hAod.jpg

JX064A3.jpg

These players aren't all exactly the same. Allen had a really great year last year. Robinson had a great 2015. Dez had a great 2014. Dez has the overall TD advantage over the competition.

My point is that all these guys have received contracts since 2014. All of them have posted similar production since 2014. Allen is the lowest paid at 11.25 mil per year. Watkins (lol) is the highest paid at 16 mil. Dez has them all beat in total value. He has them beat in guaranteed money, barely beating Watkins.

Is Dez Bryant overpaid? Sure. His guaranteed money is a bit much. Total contract value is too much. But to act like his contract is absurd, or that he only deserves 4-6 mil a year (which I've seen suggested on this forum), or that he deserves to be outright cut is misinformed. And I don't love or hate Dez, but his contract is pretty much in line with the current going rate of WRs that post similar production. If you want to simply say all these guys are overpaid compared to other similarly paid WRs (Green, Adams, Thomas, Jones), then I can agree with that. But don't vilify Dez Bryant simply because of his contract.
you're going on the premise that Dez is being paid as a freeagent, as these guys were. Which is furthest from the case.

Ill give u a comparision on somebody who has a contract already. Because you cant go based on guys that were freeagents. Dez signed that contract in 2015, this is 2018 and with inflation his 16.5mil that was given in 2015, would be close to 19mil in todays money.

But here you go, on a comparison.

Jermain Kearse
2015 49 rec 685 yrds 5tds
2016 41rec 510 yrds 1 td
2017 65rec 810yrds 5tds

Dez Bryant
2015 31rec 401 yrds 3tds
2016 50rec 796yrds 8tds
2017 69rec 831yrds 6tds

Kearse contract signed in 2016

3yrs 13.5mil 5.5mil SB

LittleD

Reaction score
The premise of this thread is misguided at best. The contract Dez signed was high but, okay for his production
that 1st year. Given the last 3 years of below average production, he is vastly overpaid and his caliber has fallen
into a crevice. He needs to give back or find another team to pay his big bucks cause Dez is no longer elite and
doesn't fit the type of receiver Dak needs.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Turns out Dez doesnt have the most targets over the last three years:

Jeffrey- 308
Robinson- 303
Dez- 300
Keenan- 255
Watkins- 218

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The premise of this thread is misguided at best. The contract Dez signed was high but, okay for his production
that 1st year. Given the last 3 years of below average production, he is vastly overpaid and his caliber has fallen
into a crevice. He needs to give back or find another team to pay his big bucks cause Dez is no longer elite and
doesn't fit the type of receiver Dak needs.

It would be interesting to see what he would get on the open market given the past 3 seasons.

blueblood70

Reaction score
the OP is correct..its being overblown just like the 75 separate threads on Dez..i'm so FN tired of seeing every other thread have Dez name in it.. let this dang thing play out..jeez

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Dez earned the contract he has now in his first 3 seasons. It just sucks he got paid and never cared about improving his craft. Blame the culture and coaching of the team.

LittleD

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what he would get on the open market given the past 3 seasons.

I hope someone is saving up their money for him and Dallas puts him on the block in the draft. We might not get much but, maybe something.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope someone is saving up their money for him and Dallas puts him on the block in the draft. We might not get much but, maybe something.

Well, if someone's beleives that our offensive scheme is the problem and thinks Dez has some juice left, his current deal is a bargain. He has no gauranteed money left so they could try him out for 12 million this year and cut him if he doesn't produce. If he does produce, then great deal for somebody. Might get late a 2nd or 3rd for him.

LittleD

Reaction score
Well, if someone's beleives that our offensive scheme is the problem and thinks Dez has some juice left, his current deal is a bargain. He has no gauranteed money left so they could try him out for 12 million this year and cut him if he doesn't produce. If he does produce, then great deal for somebody. Might get late a 2nd or 3rd for him.

We can only hope for something that good. Most of the time players can only get a 4h or 5th for the team. I'm with you though that maybe
some team would like to have him and pay his contract for us.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can only hope for something that good. Most of the time players can only get a 4h or 5th for the team. I'm with you though that maybe
some team would like to have him and pay his contract for us.

I'm basing it off of Cooks going for a late first rounder. He's making 8.5 million and then you have to pay him big money or lose him next year. Dez has 2 years left on a contract that pays him a reasonable 12.5 a year. Its a steal if he produces even halfway between his 2017 and 2014 seasons. So, I think a second rounder and the services of Dez Bryant for 2 years at reasonable price is a pretty good deal. It won't happen b/c thats not how this organization thinks.