Dez Bryant's Fundamentals

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Guys and Gals i did not start this thread to Hate on Dez So please do not take it there I beg !

Honestly i am a huge Dez fan i have his jersey and through the good times and the bad i still support him 100%

But i have been wondering about a few things and watching Dez differently this year since i watched Chris Carters new morning show. For the record i am not a huge CC fan in fact i lean to more to disliking his higher then mighty attitude like he knows everything.

BUT

His skills as a receiver, hands, route running, Redzone ability deserve respect. So i found his opinion relevant when it came to analyzing Dez. So forgive me but earlier during the season i think it was against the Rams ( not sure of the team but i remember the play like it was yesterday) The ball went through Dez's Hands and was intercepted. He was coming from left to right on the route and his hands were seperated right hand on top instead of left hand behind right hand underneath.

The next day i turned on CC show and he broke down the play and explained the problems with Dez's hand placement and how his lack of fundamentals led to an easy pick. If his hands were turned properly one of his hands should have acted like a backstop so even if he dropped it, the interception would not have happened. After i watched this show i started watching Dez differently for the rest of the season.

We all know his heart and emotion is 2nd to none but then i watch after he catches a ball, he doesn't secure it properly look at the seattle game when it was punched out. I have no problem with the extra effort he gives but i found myself praying he didn't fumble when he was trying for the extra yards all the time.

It amazes me that after as many years as he has been in the league his route tree is not more developed. His speed and size is what it is but you can still perfect the intangibles like hand placement, ball security, route running ( Witten Slow as heck but he is always open why not take some lessons ) the fact that after zeke's suspension and some other suspensions Dez said he let some things effect him outside the game. IMO that should not be the case with as many years as you have been in the league.

I guess what i am asking do the coaches not try to perfect and work on Dez's Fundamentals, or does Dez not care about them.

Don't get me wrong he makes spectacular plays and is a beast in the redzone but how much better could he be OR could have been earlier in his career ( He was good LOL but could it have been better ) had he perfected his craft or continued to perfect it.

I really think a guy like CC could be a good WR coach from a knowledge standpoint not sure about how he would gel from a personal standpoint. I doubt he would ever leave his cushy job now and it is probably to late at this point for dez at his age but guys like Beasley, williams , Switzer Etc for that matter hire Jerry Rice LOL

What do you think is this a lack of coaching or Dez's issue

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Dez like every player on the offense had a down year. Some of it was on the players (ie his drops are on him) but coaching to me is the larger issue. I felt like our WRs were having to make contested catches constantly because they’re never open. If it was one guy having those issues I’d say it’s the guy, but all the WR struggled this year with getting open. That’s scheme

conner01

Reaction score
Dez hasn’t done the little things to keep improving. He can still be good but he could be better if he improved the little things
But dez doesn’t call the plays and too many of the plays to dez are contested catches that really shouldn’t have been thrown
The staff wants those balls thrown but to me that’s when you throw somewhere else
In 16 Dak didn’t force those balls as much.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez hasn’t done the little things to keep improving. He can still be good but he could be better if he improved the little things
But dez doesn’t call the plays and too many of the plays to dez are contested catches that really shouldn’t have been thrown
The staff wants those balls thrown but to me that’s when you throw somewhere else
In 16 Dak didn’t force those balls as much.
Since Dez doesn't consistently create separation, if you didn't throw him jump balls he wouldn't get many passes.

Now, Dez has the ability to create separation, but for some strange reason he doesn't do it. I personally blame it on the coaches. Throw it to Dez on sharp ins, outs, and slants, and you'd have a beast.

No, I don't really get why we don't do this. Anyone who lollygags should be benched until he's willing to play hard. Even when the ball isn't coming your way.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
If Dez was in NE they would be doing pick routes constantly to get him in space for sure and he would be really dangerous

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Since Dez doesn't consistently create separation, if you didn't throw him jump balls he wouldn't get many passes.

Now, Dez has the ability to create separation, but for some strange reason he doesn't do it. I personally blame it on the coaches. Throw it to Dez on sharp ins, outs, and slants, and you'd have a beast.

No, I don't really get why we don't do this. Anyone who lollygags should be benched until he's willing to play hard. Even when the ball isn't coming your way.
Great post.

conner01

Reaction score

I agree we need to change the way we use dez but dez needs to see what Larry Fitzgerald has done to extend his career. They felt Larry was no longer elite at what he was doing and he bought into doing something different
Now with Larry it was moving to the slot but dez hasn’t really improved his game over his career

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree we need to change the way we use dez but dez needs to see what Larry Fitzgerald has done to extend his career. They felt Larry was no longer elite at what he was doing and he bought into doing something different
Now with Larry it was moving to the slot but dez hasn’t really improved his game over his career
I'm not sure Dez sees much of anything, to tell the truth.

kento40

Reaction score
Dez hasn't done much to improve and it seems like he forgets that he's getting old and won't always be able to play the overpower game. He still holds the ball like a rook, he can't run proper routes, he's easily taken out of the game mentally and he cries more than he produces. I'm a huge Dez fan, but he's not worth the money he's making at this point.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The lack of fundamentals isn't solely Dez, If you watch all the receivers, there are way too many hops off the line and when they do try to run a pck play, they don't squeeze the spacing nor timing.

If it is systemic, it cant be one person though it may look like it when that one person gets the most targets

JeffInDC

Reaction score

And, oddly enough, Dak and Dez generally seem to be on the same page when he runs those routes.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Take a look at Ertz, a Tight End. He runs good routes. Dez just does not.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He doesn’t have them.

He is a player that dominated off physical talent and didn’t Hone his craft.

Now that his body isn’t what it once was, he isn’t as effective.