Twitter: Dez documentary on the Cowboys 2014 season

JBS

Reaction score
Please stop it, people. Let it go. You may disagree with the rule in place at the time but it was applied correctly. Replay did its job. The overturn was predicted on the broadcast before it was announced. If you actually knew the rule there would not have been a surprise. Heartbreaking, yes, but not a surprise.

You are just going to completely ignore how stupid that rule was? Is this a joke or what

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just hang onto the ball moron.

Agree to an extent. I know Bryant was trying to make a play, but the most important thing is making sure you secure the ball so that there's no chance it can get overturned.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Dez caught it for sure. What’s not for sure is believing that avg Dallas defense could have stopped Aaron Rodgers with 4 min left on the clock. Assuming we score a TD there, it’s 28-26. All Rodgers has to do is get them in position for a FG. Wish we could have seen that play out. Maybe we win- but it was no guarantee.

This.

I mean, it yeah it was a catch and it still has me PO'ed. But they shouldn't have even been in the situation to need that play to stand.

Rodgers on one leg was being served a three course meal before he decided to throw the ball.

InTheZone

Reaction score
so many football moves and possible down by contact if they ruled it correctly. It was either a catch and first down, or a catch, fumble, recovery in endzone/TD.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That play was Dez in a nut shell. Absolutely no reason not to come down with that ball but Dez finds a way. It always amazes me how no one holds him the least bit accountable. A truly great receiver secures that catch. A dope like Dez just can't help himself. Irvin makes that catch 100 out of 100 times. And even if he drops it he is still a 3 x superbowl champ. A true boss. The anti Dez.

I don't really agree with this. Even though he should have secured the ball, he had taken multiple steps with it and was trying to propel himself into the end zone and score. A lot of football players would have done the same thing, especially if they thought they had made a catch. He knew he had been touched, so losing the ball didn't necessarily matter if he thought it was a catch. He was going to be down by contact.

I'm just a big believer that you don't put it in the hands of the officials, and he put it in the hands of the officials. I'd rather he had cradled the ball to his body and come up short. But that's not the same as blaming him for going for the score when he felt he had made a catch.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dez caught it for sure. What’s not for sure is believing that avg Dallas defense could have stopped Aaron Rodgers with 4 min left on the clock. Assuming we score a TD there, it’s 28-26. All Rodgers has to do is get them in position for a FG. Wish we could have seen that play out. Maybe we win- but it was no guarantee.
if Packers walk down the field then we probably get it with a min or two left and 2 timeouts, could just as easily got into FG range if needed, would need 2 points for the win if the packers did manage to get a fg after this drive.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You are just going to completely ignore how stupid that rule was? Is this a joke or what

Whether it was stupid or not is irrelevant. It was on the books and every team knew it when the season started. Was it applied correctly? Yes it was. Don't let the hope-posters here fool you. Again, I don't fully blame Dez but he was a victim of the exact same rule just a year or so prior against the Giants. Hardly anyone remembers because we won that game but it wasn't his first rodeo with this rule.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
7 years later......catch or no catch? Looking back, that game/loss stayed with me for a while. There was no doubt in my mind, beat the Packers, we're going to the Super Bowl. Still believe it.......

He DID maintain control.
It was ruled incomplete.
Get on with your life.
And if Jackie Smith had caught it ...
And if ...

nmcowboys

Reaction score
Ppl talk smack saying it wasn't smart football ?? He caught the ball on the 1yard line what isn't smart about that??

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The call was crap...I still haven't seen the ball hit the ground...

After this is where fans then go back to arguing for a football move.

Ball-Ground2.jpg

Lutonio

Reaction score
It was the correct application of an awful rule. It would have been a catch the very next season after they adjusted it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I was at the game and feel I was robbed of what would have been likely called "The Catch II." I cant stand to hear people bashing him.... oh hold onto the ball moron.... he did. He caught it with 2 hands, placed it into one hand, 3 steps forward and dove for the endzone. This play is the exact reason the league changed the rule a few years later. They didnt want to change the rule after that season because they know the outcry it would have sparked. And yep, I also think we go to the SB if we had beat the packers. We had already gone into Seattle and beat them earlier in the year.
It would not have been called the catch 2. It’s only a famous play because Cowboys fans can’t let it go. Rodgers would have led the Packers down the field for the game winner and the Cowboys still would have lost. They even got into FG range while just trying to run the clock down without even trying to score.

JBS

Reaction score
Whether it was stupid or not is irrelevant. It was on the books and every team knew it when the season started. Was it applied correctly? Yes it was. Don't let the hope-posters here fool you. Again, I don't fully blame Dez but he was a victim of the exact same rule just a year or so prior against the Giants. Hardly anyone remembers because we won that game but it wasn't his first rodeo with this rule.

The rule being ridiculous is absolutely not irrelevant. It's football. That's a catch. There is a reason thats a catch in today's game. Bc that rule is stupid.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Cowboys don’t like to play smart football. Wrapping the ball up was too fundamental for Dez to consider.
How about the choice of even going with that play call?
4th and 2 yards for a 1st down, but instead go for 32 and come 1 yard short. Brilliant.
Should have run the ball and run the clock out. Instead we gave Green Bay over 4 minutes, which is a lifetime.