Dez had a great end to the season, but I would still trade

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
his 16 million dollar salary slot and him for a pro bowl DE tomorrow. I have always been a big critic of Dez. And he certaily showed up the last few games of the season and the one and done loss.

But if it isnt clear enough now by now it never will be. This team needs defense and it needs a pass rush.

We had great QB play, Dez went nuts, and Zeke ran all over them. But if you cant stop the great QB's on the final drive in a playoff game, you are toast.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The defenses that are left all suck.

Making our offense weaker to make our defense average would be dumb - especially sine there are no premiere pass rushers that anybody is going to trade for a WR.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Trade away are biggest threat in the passing game? Trade away the guy that single handedly brought the team back into the game? Trade away one of the vocal leaders in the locker room? Trade away a guy that lives and dies Cowboys football? Trade away a guy that WANTS to be a Cowboy and will do whatever it takes to win a football game?

Yep...another troll thread.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Trade away are biggest threat in the passing game? Trade away the guy that single handedly brought the team back into the game? Trade away one of the vocal leaders in the locker room? Trade away a guy that lives and dies Cowboys football? Trade away a guy that WANTS to be a Cowboy and will do whatever it takes to win a football game?

Yep...another troll thread.

And why did we need all those points? Because nobody could get to Rogers. And how did all those wonderful yards from Dez turn out? Did they get us a win? Nope.

And why not? Because we had no one to rush the passer.

Enjoy sitting on the couch next weekend homer.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The defenses that are left all suck.

Making our offense weaker to make our defense average would be dumb - especially sine there are no premiere pass rushers that anybody is going to trade for a WR.

LOL....thanks for proving my point.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No way, Dez was a monster down the stretch.

He finally got healthy and started to get in sync with Dak. I want to see what these guys can do with another off season under their belts. Having a dual threat like Zeke and Dez makes the offense special.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No way, Dez was a monster down the stretch.

He finally got healthy and started to get in sync with Dak. I want to see what these guys can do with another off season under their belts. Having a dual threat like Zeke and Dez makes the offense special.

When you have Zeke and you have Dak the receivers are secondary. Without a pass rush, we will never win anything. And who is to say that we cant get another great receiver?

Trade the oft injured, menatally challenged, 16 million dollar Dez for a 15 a year sack guy. Ill take that all day long.

You wouldnt? No problem I respect your opinion.

Can you imagine this team with a great pass rush and this running game and Dak?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Ok tell which "15 sack a year" DE you are going to get for Dez?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok tell which "15 sack a year" DE you are going to get for Dez?

Its not the point really. The point is that if it was there, I would do it. Will it ever happen....... no way. Jerry would NEVER trade Dez. But hypothetically, if it was possible, I would jump on it.

I just like to get feel for what people value more. A pro bowl receiver or a pro bowl pass rusher. To me its a no brainer, especially for this team. But no doubt you are always going to get the people that want to remain loyal to the team player and cant see past that.

No doubt if Lawrence was a 15 sack guy and sacked Rogers on that last play people on here would be saying they wouldnt even trade him for Tom Brady.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The point is there 15 sack players are very rare. It is easy to say trade Dez for one but it is another to find a one on a team that needs a WR that would part with a stud pass rusher. There was ONE player in the NFL with 15 sacks this season and the top 4 sack guys were all LBs.

To me the only potential trade partners for a pass rusher are Seattle with Frank Clark and Cliff Avril or Minn with Hunter and Griffen. But who knows if they would even be remotely interested.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The point is there 15 sack players are very rare. It is easy to say trade Dez for one but it is another to find a one on a team that needs a WR that would part with a stud pass rusher. There was ONE player in the NFL with 15 sacks this season and the top 4 sack guys were all LBs.

To me the only potential trade partners for a pass rusher are Seattle with Frank Clark and Cliff Avril or Minn with Hunter and Griffen. But who knows if they would even be remotely interested.

I said I would trade. Not that there is a trade out there. In fact I basically told you in my last post that it would never happen.

But ill go one further. I would trade Dez and his 16 million dollar salary in a heartbeat to move up in the draft to take a cant miss type DE. Now again, Im not saying there is one or that it would happen. I'm just saying I would do it if it came about.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Ill even go another step futher. Trade Dez for any pro bowl defensive player. Then use his salary slot to go out and get a DE in FA. IF at all possible.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense needs help but trading away Dez for a DE only shifts the whole from one side of the field to the other.

In the end, there would still a whole needing filled.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Everybody keeps blaming the defense but the offense is the reason Dallas lost.

Yes I know the defense isn't good. That's not news been that way for years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The defense needs help but trading away Dez for a DE only shifts the whole from one side of the field to the other.

In the end, there would still a whole needing filled.

There is no hole when you have a run first offense. And you go out and get a couple of quality veteran WR's to replace Dez and Williams and you are fine there.

The pass rush is a whole different kind of hole. Dont agree with you there. Taking away Dez does not all of a sudden make the offense a problem area. Not by a long shot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Everybody keeps blaming the defense but the offense is the reason Dallas lost.

Yes I know the defense isn't good. That's not news been that way for years.

I cant even respond to that. The offense was the problem over the defense? Im not sure we are talking about the same game.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I cant even respond to that. The offense was the problem over the defense? Im not sure we are talking about the same game.

No it was the problem over the defense. But they had a chance to win the game and didnt. Offense is also the reason we got down to 21-3