Dez interest from multiple teams has Try out

jsb357

Reaction score
He was with the Saints when he got hurt.
Did they just tell him bye?

Big_D

Reaction score
He can definitely be dangerous with Lamar Jackson.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People are just slow. For whatever reason its personal with Dez. I don't remember where it came from.

Dez was one of the first guys from that era to even call out the incompetence going on. Maybe that's what made people upset......

The conversation was never whether or not Dez could contribute anywhere. It was always whether or not he might be a fit on the Cowboys’ roster. Where I think most of us who are reasonable recognized that wasn’t going to happen. Nor will it, obviously.

I wish Dez nothing but the best, and I hope he finds a home. That said, posters should probably wait until we have more than a rumor of a tryout before getting smug. He’d need to actually get a tryout, make a roster, make the final cut, be activated on game day, actually contribute, and then become a productive starter before the running of victory laps makes any sense for anybody.

I hope he makes it, but he’s got a long way to go at his age and with his temperament and having lost his deep speed. He’s a WR who runs sloppy routes who probably still has great high-pointing skills right now. He probably can contribute somewhere if he can control his outbursts, but he’s not a difference maker anymore, and he’s not a fit for every team.

Big_D

Reaction score
Since Lamar throws primarily to his TE's, why would you think that?

that was necessity not really by design. You’re starting WRs are young, you have speed, you have a QB who can create some time to get open and a big target WR. This would be a good situation for Dez, plus one of those 30 catch TEs is gone. And a solid running game on top of it. But that WR group as whole just wasn’t very good or up to speed. Boykin Brown and Dez along with Andrews could be interesting.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
that was necessity not really by design. You’re starting WRs are young, you have speed, you have a QB who can create some time to get open and a big target WR. This would be a good situation for Dez, plus one of those 30 catch TEs is gone. And a solid running game on top of it. But that WR group as whole just wasn’t very good or up to speed. Boykin Brown and Dez along with Andrews could be interesting.
Yeah people are fooling themselves if they think Hollywood Brown won't be a big part of that offense as he gets older. He was just a rookie last year.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

You're another one that is thinking Bryant in terms of 2012 or 2013 and not the last 2 seasons he played in the NFL, 2016 and 2017. Those 2 years he was one drop away from leading the league in drops and the last year he did lead the league in drops. You're also thinking just because he is getting a workout that he's automatically going to get signed. The ravens thinking could be that Bryant will have to be spectacular for them to overlook his history of drops, locker room and sideline problems and has .never been that good of a route runner. Then even if he's signed who's to say that they don't classify him as their #4 receiver. First things first like actually having this workout and then see what happens.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You're another one that is thinking Bryant in terms of 2012 or 2013 and not the last 2 seasons he played in the NFL, 2016 and 2017. Those 2 years he was one drop away from leading the league in drops and the last year he did lead the league in drops. You're also thinking just because he is getting a workout that he's automatically going to get signed. The ravens thinking could be that Bryant will have to be spectacular for them to overlook his history of drops, locker room and sideline problems and has .never been that good of a route runner. Then even if he's signed who's to say that they don't classify him as their #4 receiver. First things first like actually having this workout and then see what happens.

Your post has no relevance to what the poster you replied to said.

Also what you said isn't true. The leader in drops in 2017 was our very own Amari Cooper, and that's not remotely close to true in 2016 either lol.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
posters should probably wait until we have more than a rumor of a tryout before getting smug. He’d need to actually get a tryout, make a roster, make the final cut, be activated on game day, actually contribute, and then become a productive starter before the running of victory laps makes any sense for anybody.
yep
it would be interesting to see what he does on another team.

Verdict

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the responses from the know-it-all dunces who said that 'nobody was interested'.

You know, when nobody was actually in their facilities...
:rolleyes:

What's the excuse now fellas?
:huh:

Well, in fairness, that is just a rumor, possibly put out there by Bryant. You may be jumping the gun on “there is interest”. Maybe it is legit. Maybe not. Time will tell.

Verdict

Reaction score
The conversation was never whether or not Dez could contribute anywhere. It was always whether or not he might be a fit on the Cowboys’ roster. Where I think most of us who are reasonable recognized that wasn’t going to happen. Nor will it, obviously.

I wish Dez nothing but the best, and I hope he finds a home. That said, posters should probably wait until we have more than a rumor of a tryout before getting smug. He’d need to actually get a tryout, make a roster, make the final cut, be activated on game day, actually contribute, and then become a productive starter before the running of victory laps makes any sense for anybody.

I hope he makes it, but he’s got a long way to go at his age and with his temperament and having lost his deep speed. He’s a WR who runs sloppy routes who probably still has great high-pointing skills right now. He probably can contribute somewhere if he can control his outbursts, but he’s not a difference maker anymore, and he’s not a fit for every team.
That’s pretty fair.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
[

Some of the few holes we have on the offensive side of the ball are:
A backup receiving TE in case of injury to Jarwin, or ineffectiveness by Jarwin
A RZ threat, as we were the worst offense in the league in 2019 when comparing offense outside of RZ to inside the RZ.
A veteran WR for depth. The projected top three WRs to backup our young three starters have a total career receptions of 21.

We need a veteran WR, but he needs to back up multiple positions. He needs a full route tree. I don't think Dez is that guy. At least he's not the best fit.

I think Lamb is now our designated Go Up and Get It guy.

Going 3 wide, I don't know that we have that much need for a backup receiving TE anymore. I see receiving TE as a 3rd down full timer, but otherwise splitting time with Pollard, and maybe a FB/TE. In the red zone, Belldozer would be adequate to fill in, as he's a better blocker but still a soft handed receiver.

If we're going to upgrade TE, it should be by *replacing* Schultz or Belldozer with a better TE, not using a roster spot for a partial pseudo TE.

But if they're planning on keeping Brown, I'd swap out Brown for Dez in a second.