Twitter: Dez may get a chance after all

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez was a kid who needed help growing up, and instead got pacified and catered to.

Yes, enabled to a great extent, and the coaching and front office also share some blame in that failing. Dez's heart was always bigger than his head, and it sometimes got the better of him. It happens, especially in a person's youth. We live and we learn.

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn't see that to be any sort of 'absolute case'.

What "hops" are you referring to? That's pretty vague.
It's not. It's a slang term referring to the spring in one's step, jumping ability, those type things.

Absolute? Yes and no. He'd lost those springs he appeared to have.

I don't have any problem bringing any good player in, and I have no problem giving Dez a shot. It'd be interesting to see if he finally recovered, and if someone finally got in his ear and convinced him to stay in tiptop shape, which helps in avoiding injuries.

In the past, Dez got by purely on his natural athleticism. At his age, it's highly unlikely he'll continue to do so. If someone can convince him to use his incredible cutting ability on routes, he could be good. There are too many unknowns for me to say yes or no on Dez. However, if he wants to come in for a tryout and even more importantly, an interview, that'd be fine. I would want to know if he will continue to need babysitters.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone still remember the petulant sideline behavior? Disappearing in games? Bad routes? Drops?

This would be a waste of a roster spot. Lots of young talented WR's coming out of college every year. Use that spot to try and find a late round or FA diamond in the rough.

The one time, he had his hissy fit, and the next drive dropped an easy 10 yard sideline pass.

johneric8

Reaction score
Lets be honest here, if Dez is in really good shape and hungry and playing a backup role, he would be dangerous against against lesser cornerbacks or linebackers... I'm trust big mike here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, enabled to a great extent, and the coaching and front office also share some blame in that failing. Dez's heart was always bigger than his head, and it sometimes got the better of him. It happens, especially in a person's youth. We live and we learn.
Good stuff.

For a player to come back and play at a more advanced age, he'd have to work extremely hard at staying in shape. Last time he was here, Dez refused to do the needed rehab. Is he still like that? Plus, he's no longer going to be able to get by on simply his leaping ability. Would he be willing to run routes this time? He'd be golden in the slot if he'd start using his cutting ability.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good stuff.

For a player to come back and play at a more advanced age, he'd have to work extremely hard at staying in shape. Last time he was here, Dez refused to do the needed rehab. Is he still like that? Plus, he's no longer going to be able to get by on simply his leaping ability. Would he be willing to run routes this time? He'd be golden in the slot if he'd start using his cutting ability.

He would also have to accept not being targeted. He might actually make a good decoy, if he can handle it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not. It's a slang term referring to the spring in one's step, jumping ability, those type things.

Absolute? Yes and no. He'd lost those springs he appeared to have.

I think that's a pretty subjective assessment. But it's something that can easily be determined by a workout, and then if that proves to be positive, it can be confirmed during offseason activities, practices, and training camp. If he "doesn't have it anymore", you simply move on. But the Saints signed him last year, so they must have felt he still had it in his workouts for them.

I don't have any problem bringing any good player in, and I have no problem giving Dez a shot. It'd be interesting to see if he finally recovered, and if someone finally got in his ear and convinced him to stay in tiptop shape, which helps in avoiding injuries.

That's all I'm advocating for, an opportunity and nothing more.

In the past, Dez got by purely on his natural athleticism. At his age, it's highly unlikely he'll continue to do so. If someone can convince him to use his incredible cutting ability on routes, he could be good. There are too many unknowns for me to say yes or no on Dez. However, if he wants to come in for a tryout and even more importantly, an interview, that'd be fine. I would want to know if he will continue to need babysitters.

Same here. But I would feel a lot better about him contributing as my #4 receiver at this point rather than using him as my #1 as in the past. The standards and requirements are much lower.

But the attitude thing is everything. If he can't abide by that in any way, there's the door. I'm betting he realizes what got him out of here in the first place and will do what's required to come back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good stuff.

And like I've said numerous times, I'll take Dez Bryant any time over another team's 3rd and 4th cornerbacks. He's always been a physical mismatch and I see no reason why that would change, even at 31.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not overly keen with it but I will say if McCarthy is on board then great. After all HC is the one that has to deal with players. If he feels he can control Dez then fine

kskboys

Reaction score
I think that's a pretty subjective assessment. But it's something that can easily be determined by a workout, and then if that proves to be positive, it can be confirmed during offseason activities, practices, and training camp. If he "doesn't have it anymore", you simply move on. But the Saints signed him last year, so they must have felt he still had it in his workouts for them.

That's all I'm advocating for, an opportunity and nothing more.

Same here. But I would feel a lot better about him contributing as my #4 receiver at this point rather than using him as my #1 as in the past. The standards and requirements are much lower.

But the attitude thing is everything. If he can't abide by that in any way, there's the door. I'm betting he realizes what got him out of here in the first place and will do what's required to come back.
That's where the interview thing comes in. I'd have to see a change in attitude, including a willingness to do what's required.

Subjective? Yes and no. Last time he played here, he wasn't anywhere near the physical specimen. That was a big reason why he got cut. So, that part is not subjective. Did he show "hops" for NO? I have no idea. Maybe they just wanted him for a backup, maybe he wasn't going to be counted on much, maybe they signed him in the hopes that he'd work hard. Why the Saints signed him is definitely subjective. However, if they really did like what they saw, then I'd have to ask why they didn't bring him back for the 19 season?

kskboys

Reaction score
And like I've said numerous times, I'll take Dez Bryant any time over another team's 3rd and 4th cornerbacks. He's always been a physical mismatch and I see no reason why that would change, even at 31.
It had changed. The question is whether it has changed back, whether he's physically back from the injury. He's not a physical mismatch w/o the spring in his step.

Now, if Dez would learn to run routes like Irvin, boxing out and using his size and wingspan, dude could play for 5 more years. If he would learn to play like that, then you could take him over 3rd and 4th CB's.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok..

Check this out.

Rumors of that fable about Dez and his route running are just that..a fairytale.

Dez can run routes, he just didn't way too often. The rumors are not a fairly tale, it was blatantly apparent many times when we could see him jogging his routes. It's not the ability that was lacking, it was the effort in running routes. At times, he did show effort, especially on the long routes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's where the interview thing comes in. I'd have to see a change in attitude, including a willingness to do what's required.

Subjective? Yes and no. Last time he played here, he wasn't anywhere near the physical specimen. That was a big reason why he got cut. So, that part is not subjective.

It was one of several reasons, and I think you and I both know that.

Did he show "hops" for NO? I have no idea. Maybe they just wanted him for a backup, maybe he wasn't going to be counted on much, maybe they signed him in the hopes that he'd work hard. Why the Saints signed him is definitely subjective.

Sounds like the exact same requirements that we're campaigning to sign him here for, right?

However, if they really did like what they saw, then I'd have to ask why they didn't bring him back for the 19 season?

I don't think Dez ever really got his act together to make a comeback in 2019 do you? It seems like by the time he was ready, the league had moved on. His calendar was clearly different than the NFL's.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It had changed. The question is whether it has changed back, whether he's physically back from the injury. He's not a physical mismatch w/o the spring in his step.

Now, if Dez would learn to run routes like Irvin, boxing out and using his size and wingspan, dude could play for 5 more years. If he would learn to play like that, then you could take him over 3rd and 4th CB's.

If he could ever do that, he could be a #1 again or a #2, but I think for the most part, that ship has sailed. The leopard doesn't change his spots at this point and suddenly become a great route runner. Improved? Sure. He may be improved already. But I'd never expect him to be great.

And as a 4th receiver, he wouldn't have to be.

kskboys

Reaction score
It was one of several reasons, and I think you and I both know that.

Sounds like the exact same requirements that we're campaigning to sign him here for, right?

I don't think Dez ever really got his act together to make a comeback in 2019 do you? It seems like by the time he was ready, the league had moved on. His calendar was clearly different than the NFL's.
Yup, Dez was never required to be a man. They coddled him and let him have his way. Jerry is responsible for Dez's downfall.

If his calendar is different, that's a bad sign that he hasn't grown up. The NFL's calendar is public.

kskboys

Reaction score
If he could ever do that, he could be a #1 again or a #2, but I think for the most part, that ship has sailed. The leopard doesn't change his spots at this point and suddenly become a great route runner. Improved? Sure. He may be improved already. But I'd never expect him to be great.

And as a 4th receiver, he wouldn't have to be.
If he can be no better than a 4th WR, then I'd conclude that bringing him in is irrelevant, and we might be better off w/ a talented youngster.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If his arrival would probably keep us from acquiring a WR in the draft, I have my doubts.

If, on the other hand, we choose to consider him like a prospective draftee, count me in.

In the past, when he played for the Cowboys, he was generally said to run three routes.

In addition, if it's true that he's lost ten pounds, he probably couldn't be capable as a TE.
Hey bro..

I have posted this a couple of times in regards to this off repeated statement about his route running.

I have no idea who started that but nobody seems to know.

So it just seems to be something quick and dirty to slur Dez.

No evidence I can find on it.

Now dropping passes..I can join in about that being an issue, but the last season he was playing for us he had a ankle and knee injury he was playing with.

That may have affected his concentration at times enough to add to the drops. But he never complained about it at the time..

nor after he was released. I bet his Achilles injury was a result of those other injuries as they would cause him to change his running stride and put more strain and pop..

goes the Achilles.

Just my thoughts.