Twitter: Dez says Marion Barber is not doing well

erod

Reaction score

Barber has struggled with mental health at least since he stopped playing, and maybe well before that. Whether it's football injury-related or he's just always been that way is something only his family knows. He was very quiet off the field here and very demonstrative on it.

He's one of my all-time favorite Cowboys.

I don't like how Dez says "we are just a stat and moments to most people." Yes, Dez, that's somewhat true. But what are we to you? Help him, Dez. He's your friend, and that's what friends do. We've all had to do the same for friends over our years. Famous athletes are no different.

Hope his circle is working on this day and night to help Marion find his way.

terra

Reaction score
Everything I hear says its pretty bad. Basically facing being institutionalized. Doubtful its CTE, indications are that this has been a life long problem that is just getting worse.

John813

Reaction score
Yea, it's been a sad story for Marion ever since he retired. Hopefully, he still has some money saved away not only for long term help but to get the treatment he needs to try to get him better.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Never know for sure because CTE is diagnosed post-mortem, but his running style had to lead to multiple concussions. He was fun to watch but I bet he was awfully sore come Monday mornings.

He's not even 40 years old. Sad. I'm afraid we can almost predict how his story is going to end - see Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, et al.

starfan1

Reaction score
MB3 was a violent runner. I hope he is able to conquer what he's battling whether it be mental or physical or both. That's another mistake in the long list of them that jerry made going all in with that guy. he was a beast and i liked him but I liked him much better as a part of a tandem than being the main guy.

Jerry paid him and used him up but man I loved watching his effort

erod

Reaction score
Never know for sure because CTE is diagnosed post-mortem, but his running style had to lead to multiple concussions. He was fun to watch but I bet he was awfully sore come Monday mornings.

He's not even 40 years old. Sad. I'm afraid we can almost predict how his story is going to end - see Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, et al.
He was odd from the moment he got here. Didn't talk much, but was wildly emotional on the field. Didn't party or hang with the guys. Stayed home and played the piano. Fairly cerebral guy, it seemed, but also very much a loner. I believe he came from a good family of educators if I recall.

I always thought that was cool about him, but obviously, there was something underneath that was off.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I will be forever grateful to Marion the Barbarian for running out the clock in
a 7 minute drive to clinch a victory in the rain at FedEx Field as 25,000 Commanders
fans exited early. By the end of that drive, the stadium looked like Dallas had
taken over Landover, Md.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Barber has struggled with mental health at least since he stopped playing, and maybe well before that. Whether it's football injury-related or he's just always been that way is something only his family knows. He was very quiet off the field here and very demonstrative on it.

I don't like how Dez says "we are just a stat and moments to most people." Yes, Dez, that's somewhat true. But what are we to you? Help him, Dez. He's your friend, and that's what friends do. We've all had to do the same for friends over our years. Famous athletes are no different.

Yeah, right on. Dez has tens of millions of dollars to get his buddy the best care in the world. Barber made more money playing a game than 99.999999999% of people. Maybe Dez and other teammates are helping him financially. Good for them if they are.

Money can usually help but with mental illness, money doesn’t do much. Not much one can do. No magic wand.

If Barber is in this condition due to drugs, well, no sympathy at all.

Millions of people probably suffering worse than him. Just because he was a football player, doesn’t entitle him to extra pity.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

He's right though. Fans don't care about players when their athleticism goes or their speed goes.....you see it first hand...the disrespect seen on her when Sean Lee retired.....Tyrone Crawford retired....the same disrespect Dez gets....

Barber bashed his head in for our enjoyment. Every Sunday we tuned in and rooted for him to bash his head in.....all fans care about is winning games...I'm not saying that's how it should or shouldn't be but that's what it is. Dez is just speaking facts.

Plankton

Reaction score
He was odd from the moment he got here. Didn't talk much, but was wildly emotional on the field. Didn't party or hang with the guys. Stayed home and played the piano. Fairly cerebral guy, it seemed, but also very much a loner. I believe he came from a good family of educators if I recall.

I always thought that was cool about him, but obviously, there was something underneath that was off.

Barber's father was a running back with the Jets.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, right on. Dez has tens of millions of dollars to get his buddy the best care in the world. Barber made more money playing a game than 99.999999999% of people. Maybe Dez and other teammates are helping him financially. Good for them if they are.

Money can usually help but with mental illness, money doesn’t do much. Not much one can do. No magic wand.

If Barber is in this condition due to drugs, well, no sympathy at all.

Millions of people probably suffering worse than him. Just because he was a football player, doesn’t entitle him to extra pity.

This is so outlandish...why are you assuming he has a problem with drugs? I don't think Dez was asking for pity. But for me personally its sad that a guy like Barber.....who did EVERYTHING right........all the unwritten sports rules....

1. "GIVE IT YOUR ALL!"
2. "LEAVE IT ALL OUT ON THE FIELD!"
3. Be a great teammate
4. Don't talk back to your coach.
5. Train hard
6. Practice harder.
7. Play hurt
8. Stayed out of trouble off the field.

All the toxic stuff these coaches instill in our young athletes all the way dating back to pee wee football......he did it all right.....just to be in his 30's battling mental illness that more than likely came from bashing his head in every Sunday..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Why do you assume Dez has done nothing?

In fact, if Dez did mention him helping out MBIII folks would undoubtedly start in with “why are you publicizing your charity.....why do you have to tell people about this?”

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

His father...Marion Barber Jr. played in the NFL.

Its wild though...he was "odd" because he didn't talk much, emotional on the field, didn't party and stayed home and played the piano....I think you're coming up with this perception of him based on a Hard Knocks episode.

Reactions: CWR