Twitter: Dez says Marion Barber is not doing well

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Barber has struggled with mental health at least since he stopped playing, and maybe well before that. Whether it's football injury-related or he's just always been that way is something only his family knows. He was very quiet off the field here and very demonstrative on it.

He's one of my all-time favorite Cowboys.

I don't like how Dez says "we are just a stat and moments to most people." Yes, Dez, that's somewhat true. But what are we to you? Help him, Dez. He's your friend, and that's what friends do. We've all had to do the same for friends over our years. Famous athletes are no different.

Hope his circle is working on this day and night to help Marion find his way.

His running style was NFL. Not For Long. This is the dark side of N. F. L.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Says the guy who’s on this forum as much as I am if not more…..:lmao:

LOL.. I have always said that it's weak to call out someone for being online too much because it's impossible to know that unless you are online at least as much as the person at whom you were aiming the accusation. I honestly don't know why people do it.. Or why they even care.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I do think we need to be more stringent about what we define as mental illness. Otherwise it won't be taken seriously.

It's become the go-to excuse for everything.
They do have it. It is called the DSM-V which it the diagnostic book for mental health disorders. In order for a person to have a certain diagnosis he/she must meet the criterias of that diagnosis. It also must have length of time, in certain life areas, etc. All doctors and therapists must adhere to this as it regards to insurance companies. The Manuel has been changed 5 times in its existence, taking out some disorders from the DSM IV-R and adding some. Research by highly educated medical doctors contribute to the Manuel. I understand that sometimes mental health disorders are overused but this the study of human behavior and no one is an expert in this because every individual is different. If someone was an expert than he/she would be the richest person in the world since they can predict human behavior. Also some mental health disorders are effected by a person biology which they have no control over. For example some people have very low serotonin, (happy hormone) and they need meds to help them produce it (Prozac). If they have stressors in their life that they can’t overcome than the depression might just exacerbate more due to low serotonin. Everyone deals with stress differently. Some can handle it. Some can not but I just want to let you know that there is a highly educated Manuel that doctors and therapists have to follow.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Thank you. I have been fortunate. While I wouldn't wish for some kid to grown up like I did, I wouldn't go back and change it either. I'm 55...about to celebrate my 32nd wedding anniversary...IN A ROW. Got a great kid. Retired from a very successful career. Have an amazing ebay business. I have an enourmous amount of empathy for those that can't escape.

But as far as strong? I don't know. I wouldn't describe myself like that. Just fortunate to have had public school. The teachers always seemed to care even if we weren't there for long. Fortunate that my friends in high school, the 2 1/2 years that I got to go, accepted me never having a single drink. Fortunate for a wife that never asked me to drink..not once.

I'm more a product of amazing people around me than strength. Blessed to be in this country that allows you to escape your class.

I'm just a truly fortunate guy but truly appreciate the kind words.
Don’t sell yourself short. Yes you have been blessed with people who surround growing up but you have made some good choices that brought you to where you are today. Everybody have choices in life and some make the wrong one. I understand that some kids can’t not escape the biological or environmental stressors that are in their life. We can’t choose our families but we can choose the life we want to live.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL.. I have always said that it's weak to call out someone for being online too much because it's impossible to know that unless you are online at least as much as the person at whom you were aiming the accusation. I honestly don't know why people do it.. Or why they even care.
The irony right lol? It usually means they are online as much as you are if not more lol……

nobody

Reaction score
Love the Barbarian. I would not be shocked that Jerry is or has offered big time support, that’s just who he is. Sometimes all it takes is the right kind of medication, just look at Haley.

And support structure with people who show that they care. The Cowboys took him in and supported him. It's why he's so fiercely loyal to them now.

Bigdog

Reaction score
My wife is a front-line medical worker. She saves lives.
Been there from the beginning of this damnable plague.

She's a freaking hero.

I sit at home and make ten times as much as her.

I'm a nothing.
An entertainer. A court jester, no matter how smart, or pertinent my stuff.

It's wild how the world goes.
Tell your wife thank you for what she does and to stay safe.

Bigdog

Reaction score
46 million? so roughly 15% of all Americans have mental health issues? Some people have serious, real mental health issues. Some just dont deal with life very well and we now call it "Mental health." I struggle trying to distinguish between legit mental health issues and life. So my girlfriend breaks up with me and I get depressed, is that a mental health issue? My job and basically life suck and I hate my life, is that a mental health issue? The guy that talks to himself and fights the air... that is easy to spot.... but what about the rest?
It does if you meet the criteria for depression according to the DSM-V or it could be Adjustment Disorder with depression but it has to meet the criteria’s that is in the diagnostic Manuel for mental health disorders.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Same goes for every human on earth. The players don't really care if you or I live or die.

We're going to have a ton of UFC fighters drinking their dinner out of a straw when they get to 60. It's a newer sport, and it's far more brutal than the NFL. Does anybody care? No.
I know, right. Have you seen Chuck Liddell? Sad.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He was odd from the moment he got here. Didn't talk much, but was wildly emotional on the field. Didn't party or hang with the guys. Stayed home and played the piano. Fairly cerebral guy, it seemed, but also very much a loner. I believe he came from a good family of educators if I recall.

I always thought that was cool about him, but obviously, there was something underneath that was off.

Wow. Sorry to hear about his problems, but Marion Barber sure was responsible for a lot of good memories!! :star:

HotDog37

Reaction score
Sho nuff.. It was known from the first time he ever took a handoff in the NFL that Barber was not going to have a long career.

How is that? was it because he played the RB position as if he was a linebacker? say you seem like a very thoughtful and knowledgeable poster here and quite obviously you are a Dallas Cowboys fan. In your estimation, what is the average MIKE LB career as it would compare to a hard hitting running back's career?

TexasBacon

Reaction score
randy wasn't smoking pot. he was doing something else because I've been told pot isn't addictive no matter what by the pro pot folks. I have nothing against it but if it's not addictive then why do people give up millions just to smoke it? Im still convinced he's on pills or something else but weed gets him sympathy.

Stop putting out blatant lies just because you can't grasp simple concepts. RG was using pot because it was the most effective treatment for his mental health issues that didn't give him awful side effects. Marijuana is NOT physically addictive but people can still use it out of necessity or as a crutch. It doesn't mean he valued "smoking weed over making millions in football" like some people claim, it meant the relief he got from it was worth the risk and that should tell you how serious his issues were and how effective marijuana can be.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
How is that? was it because he played the RB position as if he was a linebacker? say you seem like a very thoughtful and knowledgeable poster here and quite obviously you ar e a Dallas Cowboys fan. In your estimation, what is the average MIKE LB career as it would compare to a hard hitting running back's career?

Think about it this way.. If a linebacker is involved in 15 tackles a game they have had an all pro day. Of that only half will be real collisions. The rest will be grab onto a body part as the runner goes by or jump on the pile. They might have to take on a blocker another 10-15 times a game. Let's go high end and say 15. So that's anywhere for 25-30 "collisions" per game. Now let's analyze a bellcow running back. One they will carry the ball 20 times. If they are any good they will make the first man miss either by making a move or by simply running through the tackle. So you would expect him to take 2-3 hits per carry so that 20 carries could mean 40-50 collisions and that doesn't count hitting the ground and having guys not really involved in the tackle falling on you. Then you throw in the 12-15 collisions in blitz pickup or leaking pass rushers and then another 5-10 collisions on play fakes. So the running back is absorbing anywhere between 60 to 80 collisions per game. Or somewhere between double and triple the number of collisions of a middle linebacker. Draw your own conclusions about their relative longevity expectations. It is often said that playing line in the NFL is like being in 60 car wrecks every Sunday. Playing running back is like being in 80 car wrecks every Sunday.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
its fake. why do you think anytime an athlete does something absurd its blamed on cte. Half the country want to just allow crime. its not a coincidence.

Whether that be the case or not. Mental health is a serious issue, and a lot of people struggle with it. And there are things that can happen in to a person like head trauma that can result in people that were previously happy to begin to have significant mental health issues. Depression is a heavily diagnosed disease, and a lot of people struggle with it. It can impact anyone including NFL players. I've lost friends to depression. It hurts to lose them. Nobody should have to go through the pain of depression, and nobody should have to lose someone to it.