Dez will have no choice as Stephen declares Check mate

ksg811

Reaction score
If Dez is cut, it will be within the next week while teams still have money, though more realistically it would have happened already. Dez is a favorite of Jerry's, and Jerry "does right" by his guys and drops them early to have full options. HE did it with Ware in 2014, he did it with Romo last year (so he'd be a FA if he came back) and even Scandrick this offseason. HE either cuts them early or they stay. Dez will be back, probably at a paycut disguised as an extension. Give him a bonus and more guarantees, but the AAV and associated cap hit drops.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
People are going to feel foolish when Dez lines up this year. Overpaid for his production? Possibly, but we have an out next year and will take it if he doesn't produce.

Besides, have you seen these contracts WR's are getting?

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
First of all dude do u even know how to play chess?! Check mate is the final move, it symbolizes someone has won..in reference to what u are talking about who would have won in this equation?! & If ur implying Stephen won then like I said previously "dude do u even know how to play chess?!"& There's a lot of more mistakes u said like "the money drying up" come on cannon the money never dries up, what u think these are raisins of some sort, are u serious (money drying up) & rosters are never cemented. The guy u referring to (Stephen Jones) constantly tells u talent acquisition is 365 day type of business so there goes that theory, but the whole"checkmate" analogy is off based

blueblood70

Reaction score
Forum needs to be renamed to the “Dez Bryant Zone” for the remainder of the off season.

Holy Jesus...
out of control...i was sick of it months ago and now its worse..the guy had down year but doesn't serve this .. its easy for someone who isn't in his shoes to ask him to take a 5 million dollar pay cut , if your boss said hey i know you've been loyal hard working employee but your position isn't preforming as well as it used to but wed like you to saty at 50% less.. youd quit on the spot..i don't care if you were making 20 an hour and now they as you to take 11..thats what we are talking about.. i agree itd be nice if he agrees to tak an initial cut in base to say 7 mil instead of 12 and than add his Bonus money that 11 a year BUT he can earn it ALL back if he exceeds games played, and production at yards and TDs.. thats a win win for all but just saying he bad now and he should just bend over and take 4-5 is insane...thats not reality regardless if hes made millions already.. if hes cut he will make 6-7 somewhere else easy.. hes not as bad as someof you over reactionary knee jerk emotional fans responses are implying..hes better than Watkins, robinson, Thompson, and Hurns..he just is, now 16.5 good no but surely if Watkins get 16 thats stupid on KC part for over paying but it doesn't change what dez has done and even last year and 16 he BETTER than all those guys..period end of story..so Nelson got what 7 other 6-7 per.. thats what dez should look at as abase and we still owe about 4 in bonus..

jrumann59

Reaction score
First of all dude do u even know how to play chess?! Check mate is the final move, it symbolizes someone has won..in reference to what u are talking about who would have won in this equation?! & If ur implying Stephen won then like I said previously "dude do u even know how to play chess?!"& There's a lot of more mistakes u said like "the money drying up" come on cannon the money never dries up, what u think these are raisins of some sort, are u serious (money drying up) & rosters are never cemented. The guy u referring to (Stephen Jones) constantly tells u talent acquisition is 365 355 (if you are Dallas)day type of business so there goes that theory, but the whole"checkmate" analogy is off based

FIIFY

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread is an opinion piece of someones wishful thinking

He will be extended ......... given a roster bonus to lower his cap hit ........ and will be around for 3 more years.

^
This guy understands.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People are going to feel foolish when Dez lines up this year. Overpaid for his production? Possibly, but we have an out next year and will take it if he doesn't produce.

Besides, have you seen these contracts WR's are getting?

There's a lot of room to negotiate on Dez, and Jerry pretty clearly wants to keep him in Dallas. Tough to argue we get better on offense without him at this point.

He's going to end up taking a haircut and being here another 2-3 years. He's a bit of a wild hair sometimes, so there's always the possibility he won't be reasonable, but as much as he loves Jerry and Jerry loves him, I doubt that happens.

Did you happen to see Tony Casillas comment on the Yahoo dude's tweet? He basically said having Harper opposite Irvin made all the difference for Mike, though he'd never admit it, and that Dez needs the same sort of thing from Hurns now. Interesting take, anyway.

Sydla

Reaction score
The walls are about to close in on Dez Bryant.

The Cowboys aren't paying him his current salary next year. He says he won't take a pay cut.

But free agency lingers on. The money is drying up. The draft is around the corner. Rosters are cementing around the league.

Whenever Dallas makes their counter offer, it will exceed what teams have to offer on the open market. It'll be "take it or leave it", and he'll either stay where he's comfortable for a LOT less money, or he'll leave in defiance and take an even lesser prove-it deal elsewhere.

A team out there might be about to get a really good receiver for very cheap. Green Bay? New Orleans? New England? Seattle? Philadelphia?

The biggest thing Dez has going against him right now is that I don't think the Cowboys really care if he's here or not.

You guys continue to overhype the leverage the Cowboys have. For example, this leverage that money is drying up in FA is largely a myth. There are like 23 teams still with over $10MM in available cap space that could sign Bryant if they wanted. Those close to $10MM could probably make a few moves to free up even more space to get a WR like Bryant.

People better wake up to the realization that the Cowboys don't have Bryant bent over a barrel here and he's going to take whatever lopsided deal the Cowboys throw at him.

tm1119

Reaction score
Overpaid? Yes. Still our best WR? Yes.

So we are going to cut our best WR without being able to use the $ saved on cutting him? Sounds like a Cowboys kinda move...

If he was cut 3 weeks ago or more I’d be perfectly fine with it, but at this point you’re just cutting him for the sake of cutting him.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
The walls are about to close in on Dez Bryant.

The Cowboys aren't paying him his current salary next year. He says he won't take a pay cut.

But free agency lingers on. The money is drying up. The draft is around the corner. Rosters are cementing around the league.

Whenever Dallas makes their counter offer, it will exceed what teams have to offer on the open market. It'll be "take it or leave it", and he'll either stay where he's comfortable for a LOT less money, or he'll leave in defiance and take an even lesser prove-it deal elsewhere.

A team out there might be about to get a really good receiver for very cheap. Green Bay? New Orleans? New England? Seattle? Philadelphia?

The biggest thing Dez has going against him right now is that I don't think the Cowboys really care if he's here or not.
Dez has the upper hand not the Cowboys FO. They cut Dez he still get roughly $8 million to walk out the door then he can sign a deal with another team for no less than $10 million, he will make more $$$ if he get's cut. There are plenty of teams out there with plenty of $$$.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dez has the upper hand not the Cowboys FO. They cut Dez he still get roughly $8 million to walk out the door then he can sign a deal with another team for no less than $10 million, he will make more $$$ if he get's cut. There are plenty of teams out there with plenty of $$$.

I get your premise but technically if he's cut today, he gets nothing from the Cowboys. I don't think his base salary ($12MM is guaranteed) and the $8MM in dead money we'd have to take isn't what's owed him, it's just the remaining portions of the prorated signing bonus we already paid him, spread out over the contract for cap purposes.

But yes, if we cut him because he won't take a big pay cut, he's going to get paid somewhere else for sure. There is no chance he's going to end up with some low level contract when guys like Moncrief are pulling in close to $10MM a year.