Did a Cowboys CB allow Zero Receptions?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Joseph looked better than I expected, I’ll give him that. I think his play against the Cardinals will be a much better barometer though. It looked like the were rolling safeties away from Diggs most of the game, leaving him on an island, which adds additional protections for the other corners. That’s not to take anything away, because Joseph made some great plays. But, I don’t think they’ll be able to roll safeties against the Cardinals because of Murray’s running ability. If Joseph shows out against the Cards, I think that earns him the outside spot and Brown goes to the slot (where he’s better suited anyway).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It is interesting that the perceived biggest need in the off-season was CB.
- It turned out that even without Joseph, CB has been a strong position group this year.

A good example of why teams should always draft BPA instead of drafting for need.
- The perceived weak & strong positions in the offseason often end up being the opposite in the regular season.
- Last season OL looked like one of the strongest position groups but ended up being one of the most challenged due to injuries.

Obviously need and position value has to be considered when players are on the same tier, but if there is a clearly higher rated player available, then draft that player.
- Parsons should be a lesson to the Cowboys and all team in that regard.
- Parsons was a clearly better prospect than any CB in that draft class.
We had a rash of injuries at the corner position last year

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say the same thing that I have been saying in here for years. The day of the shut down CB is gone with the newer NFL rules. A great and consistent defense is built by having a great front 7 and safety play not by having more CBs. We improved our front 7 and safeties this off season and “suddenly” our CBs are “playing great”.

great and consistent defense rules

1. focus on DL and front 7
2. Focus on safeties
3. Preach and enforce discipline, tackling and gap control

notice that “shut down CB” is not included

IMO, the shift in importance regarding CB is more about the importance of the #1 CB vs the importance of the top 3 CBs on a team's roster.
Better:
Modern Era: 3 quality CBs
Pre-2000s: 1 uber elite CB with 2 mediocre CBs.

If a defense put's all of the eggs into the pass rush basket, then offenses will play the short passing game and run the ball.

Aaron Rogers vs the best pass rushing team in a decade but mediocre coverage players, will just grind that defense down with quick passes and continue making 1st downs al the way to the endzone.
- The opposite is also true. Aaron Rodgers with enough time will get the ball to receivers even against a defense full of great coverage players.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I re-watched the game and focused on Kelvin Joseph.

My conclusion is that he did not allow a reception.
- There was a swing pass in the backfield.
- However, if that counts against him, then he allowed -2 receiving yards for the game.

For the season he is listed as playing 71 snaps with 1 completion allowed.
- 57 snaps in the WFT game.
- 14 snaps in all other games.

Also, Joseph was strong against the run.

The only negative play was a penalty for being lined up in the neutral zone.
- He likes to get as close as absolutely possible to the WR when playing press-man.

Caveat 1:
There was a McLaurin reception where Joseph started out in coverage on McLaurin, but...
- It appears that he passed him off in zone coverage.

- Note: I'm watching broadcast footage, not All-22. The broadcast view is limited.
- There were 3 other defenders surrounding McLaurin when he made the catch.

Caveat 2:
Diggs followed the #1 WR McLaurin on most snaps.
- The fact that he didn't on the above mentioned play is another indicator that it was zone coverage.

Side Note Trivia:
- QB Heinicke played 72% of the snaps but had less completions than QB Allen.
- Heinicke 7 of 22
- Allen 8 of 10
- The Cowboys had backups in the game vs Allen (Wright and Canady at CB, etc..).

mr Walker----Joseph is one tough cookie too...and you are correct he allowed -2 yds against receivers last night....almost had INT too...3 tackles...passed defended in 57 snaps....the dude also runs 4.3 and is

bigger than Brown and stickier against man....i just hope we can keep a lot of these guys for next year ...starting with Quinn...who said he likes being coordinator much more than HC....and since no ceiling on

paying coaches...Jerry should back up brinks truck to Quinn house....let Quinn stay DC and pay him better than anyone would for HC...they didi that in 2007 with Garrett making more than Wade Philipps HC

plus want to keep Jayron....and Gregory....i might let Gallup walk and Keep Turner # 17 with Cooper and Ceedee?...any thoughts on that?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
He looked fantastic for his first start. Like most, I'm trying to temper my excitement about him, but he showed promise.

We've come a long ways since the days of starting players like Jacque Reeves. :muttley:

quickccc

Reaction score
I've been Pro Anthony Brown as much or more than anybody, but if they might have to consider giving Joseph some snaps in the playoffs.

Note: Brown is decent as an outside CB but he is terrific playing against the slot WR.

- i think KJ will only get that experience if Brown, Lewis or Diggs get injured or Covid stricken.
Coaches like game experienced vets who they deem playing well ...especially come playoff time vs top QBs and top WRs.

- Heinken is not what i call a top quality QB - in fact he's the reason why McLaurin will always be limited.
BTW, i'm not impressed with the Philly QB as a pure passer either.

- But this is a very good experience for Joseph, who took advantage of this chance., despite some that are determined to
make him out a bust already,.

- i think it's gonna be next year,..next offseason, next training camp....and the limited preseason games that is gonna give him the
chance to surpass Brown as the starting CB opposite Diggs next year, imo

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I agree. I just don't see the guy that the scouting reports negatively said they didn't know if he liked football...that looked like a guy who knew what he was doing. Its a scary thought to see if he lives up to the potential people had for him college. Just wow. Happy he got those reps.
Teams often put out negative scouting reports on players, with hopes that said player falls to their next pick. It happens all the time to mid to late first rounders.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- i think KJ will only get that experience if Brown, Lewis or Diggs get injured or Covid stricken.
Coaches like game experienced vets who they deem playing well ...especially come playoff time vs top QBs and top WRs.

- Heinken is not what i call a top quality QB - in fact he's the reason why McLaurin will always be limited.
BTW, i'm not impressed with the Philly QB as a pure passer either.

- But this is a very good experience for Joseph, who took advantage of this chance., despite some that are determined to
make him out a bust already,.

- i think it's gonna be next year,..next offseason, next training camp....and the limited preseason games that is gonna give him the
chance to surpass Brown as the starting CB opposite Diggs next year, imo

The Cowboys have 2 regular season games remaining.
- KJ won't start those games but I expect him to get playing time.
- The Packers are 1 game ahead with 2 games remaining to be played.
- The Packers reportedly get the bye if they're tied with the Cowboys.
- That means the Packers only need to win 1 of the 2 final games.

quickccc

Reaction score

i understand he was already getting playing time as the 4th CB, ..but isn't that a comparison of20 snaps vs almost 60 snaps as a starting outside CB ?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
KJ looks like a starter to me honestly. The quicker and the sooner they can get him a couple of games of experience, the better. We need all corners on deck for the upcoming playoffs and I think Bossman will cause teams to look back towards Diggs way or use their 3rd receiver.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I think we need the 3 way tie to move ahead of GB

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

That's not true. Dallas wins a 2-way tie with GB, a 3-way tie with GB and Tampa, a 3-way tie with GB and LA, and a 4-way tie with GB, LA and Tampa. Dallas also wins a 2-way tie with LA and a 3-way tie with LA and Tampa (in the case GB loses out). They only tie-breaker Dallas doesn't win is a 2-way tie with Tampa.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is exactly why Favre never wanted to come out of a game. Favre got his chance when the QB got hurt. Never know what a player on the bench can do when given an opportunity.

Joseph has earned more reps in practice and playing time. Good ‘problem’ for the coaches to get him more playing time.

They want to get him on the field as soon as possible. He's the future. Or at least we hope so.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Yeah as of now I'd have to say the best ball Taylor threw was to Diggs. McLaurin is suffering for quarterback issues....

The Cowboy fan in me says keep Henieke...the NFL fan in me says Football Team need to trade for Watson or Russell in the offseason and make Taylor the backup. It just has to happen. I think more so than the Eagles are more suited for a veteran QB.
What is great though is both Watson and Wilson don’t want to go there.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Just watched the highlights Nahshon Wright gave up two catches in garbage time. The battle for our fifth CB next year will be between Wright and Robinson. Needless to say our secondary is no longer a weakness.

Imagine us drafting another LB in the first round next year.