Did a Cowboys CB allow Zero Receptions?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I re-watched the game and focused on Kelvin Joseph.

My conclusion is that he did not allow a reception.
- There was a swing pass in the backfield.
- However, if that counts against him, then he allowed -2 receiving yards for the game.

For the season he is listed as playing 71 snaps with 1 completion allowed.
- 57 snaps in the WFT game.
- 14 snaps in all other games.

Also, Joseph was strong against the run.

The only negative play was a penalty for being lined up in the neutral zone.
- He likes to get as close as absolutely possible to the WR when playing press-man.

Caveat 1:
There was a McLaurin reception where Joseph started out in coverage on McLaurin, but...
- It appears that he passed him off in zone coverage.

- Note: I'm watching broadcast footage, not All-22. The broadcast view is limited.
- There were 3 other defenders surrounding McLaurin when he made the catch.

Caveat 2:
Diggs followed the #1 WR McLaurin on most snaps.
- The fact that he didn't on the above mentioned play is another indicator that it was zone coverage.

Side Note Trivia:
- QB Heinicke played 72% of the snaps but had less completions than QB Allen.
- Heinicke 7 of 22
- Allen 8 of 10
- The Cowboys had backups in the game vs Allen (Wright and Canady at CB, etc..).

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I've been Pro Anthony Brown as much or more than anybody, but if they might have to consider giving Joseph some snaps in the playoffs.

Note: Brown is decent as an outside CB but he is terrific playing against the slot WR.
Gives them an option if Brown struggles and adds another strong corner when we will face those 4-5 wr’s sets

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This is exactly why Favre never wanted to come out of a game. Favre got his chance when the QB got hurt. Never know what a player on the bench can do when given an opportunity.

Joseph has earned more reps in practice and playing time. Good ‘problem’ for the coaches to get him more playing time.

pitt33

Reaction score
I've been Pro Anthony Brown as much or more than anybody, but if they might have to consider giving Joseph some snaps in the playoffs.

Note: Brown is decent as an outside CB but he is terrific playing against the slot WR.
I’m a Brown fan. Always have been.

Heck, I’m a cornerback fan in general. Such a difficult position to play well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I focused on Bossman the entire game. He was very good.
Gives them an option if Brown struggles and adds another strong corner when we will face those 4-5 wr’s sets

It is interesting that the perceived biggest need in the off-season was CB.
- It turned out that even without Joseph, CB has been a strong position group this year.

A good example of why teams should always draft BPA instead of drafting for need.
- The perceived weak & strong positions in the offseason often end up being the opposite in the regular season.
- Last season OL looked like one of the strongest position groups but ended up being one of the most challenged due to injuries.

Obviously need and position value has to be considered when players are on the same tier, but if there is a clearly higher rated player available, then draft that player.
- Parsons should be a lesson to the Cowboys and all team in that regard.
- Parsons was a clearly better prospect than any CB in that draft class.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm one of the ones who was holding out on gauging but I didn't really see what people said about him from his highlights....I see a lot of his potential though.

I didn't expect him to look quite so well-prepared. To be honest, I expected Washington to try to target and exploit him, especially when they were down so big so early. But that never happened, and the few times they tried, he shut it right down. I'm now eager to see more of him to determine if this was a one game thing or if we actually have this good of a young corner to add to this defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bossman came very close to getting an interception off a defected pass,
Looked like a pick 6 if he caught it.
Yes, it would have been a difficult catch. He was turned facing inward and the defection ended up on his outside shoulder.
- He put himself into position to have a chance for the INT. That bodes well for his chances to get INTs in the future.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It is interesting that the perceived biggest need in the off-season was CB.
- It turned out that even without Joseph, CB has been a strong position group this year.

A good example of why teams should always draft BPA instead of drafting for need.
- The perceived weak & strong positions in the offseason often end up being the opposite in the regular season.
- Last season OL looked like one of the strongest position groups but ended up being one of the most challenged due to injuries.

Obviously need and position value has to be considered when players are on the same tier, but if there is a clearly higher rated player available, then draft that player.
- Parsons should be a lesson to the Cowboys and all team in that regard.
- Parsons was a clearly better prospect than any CB in that draft class.

Just a couple of things...Patrick Surtain Jr. is having a heck of a year. With 4 ints and 12 PD he would be the clear winner of defensive rookie of the year if it weren't for Parsons. And while you can say hindsight is 20/20 *or* it was a misevaluation (mainly due to Parsons opting out of 2020), Surtain was viewed as the superior prospect in the draft.

So yes, draft BPA, but in all honesty, even if we did, we lucked into Parsons

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I re-watched the game and focused on Kelvin Joseph.

My conclusion is that he did not allow a reception.
- There was a swing pass in the backfield.
- However, if that counts against him, then he allowed -2 receiving yards for the game.

For the season he is listed as playing 71 snaps with 1 completion allowed.
- 57 snaps in the WFT game.
- 14 snaps in all other games.

Also, Joseph was strong against the run.

The only negative play was a penalty for being lined up in the neutral zone.
- He likes to get as close as absolutely possible to the WR when playing press-man.

Caveat 1:
There was a McLaurin reception where Joseph started out in coverage on McLaurin, but...
- It appears that he passed him off in zone coverage.

- Note: I'm watching broadcast footage, not All-22. The broadcast view is limited.
- There were 3 other defenders surrounding McLaurin when he made the catch.

Caveat 2:
Diggs followed the #1 WR McLaurin on most snaps.
- The fact that he didn't on the above mentioned play is another indicator that it was zone coverage.

Side Note Trivia:
- QB Heinicke played 72% of the snaps but had less completions than QB Allen.
- Heinicke 7 of 22
- Allen 8 of 10
- The Cowboys had backups in the game vs Allen (Wright and Canady at CB, etc..).
Good stuff.

Did you notice Wright at all?